Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

DOR Radiator Not Available in US

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 04:36 PM
Default DOR Radiator Not Available in US

Is anyone else having problems getting a DOR Radiator?

(Direct Ozone Reduction Radiators have an internal LIN bus sensor for temperature comparison to the ECT and throw codes P1543-P1547 for emissions tampering when not installed )

I have tried from any source (Dealer, Aftermarket or Online) and nobody even has a ship date for these. I called Mitsubishi North America and they have no idea when they will be available.

My car has been down for a month and I am tired of taking the bus, any suggestions?

Old 04-07-2015, 09:03 PM

What year is your car??? Those should be warranted for 15 years/ 150k miles. If in warranty, shouldn't the dealer provide a rental or loaner car??

After reading about DOR for the first time, i find it funny that you buy a car with a technology that has absolutely nothing to do with your vehicles operation, but rather california capitalizes on and uses you to clean their air as you drive. They make sure you don't take it off by adding a sensor to verify you're doing your part to clean the environment.

Personally i think if these things are supposed to last 15 years 150k miles, then that should have been enough. Place them on your car, but with no sensor. By 15 years and 150k miles, cars are pretty worn out and not used much. Just adds more headaches to poorer people who have to buy older cars and can't afford these technologies. By 15 years, new cars will be light years ahead in emissions, so anything from that era is a smog machine relative to new cars.
http://www.catalysts.basf.com/p02/US...sions/prem-air

Old 04-07-2015, 10:59 PM
Default DOR radiator madness

It's a 2007 3.0 PZEV with 101,000 miles and it is supposed to be under warranty. I have a case with Mitsubishi, but they won't do anything till it gets inspected at a dealer. So they're making me reassemble the whole thing (I already have the replacement hoses, thermostat, filler neck, cap, clamps, gaskets, etc.), then tow it in. A free $550 radiator would be cool but at this point I'd pay just to get my car back.

I think it's very poor of them not to include a sensor that can be remounted on any radiator. I don't mind the emissions, it's good to see the blue sky, but how can a multi-national corporation just run out of parts.

Thanks for the link. I will see if they can be of any help.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:20 AM

To be fair, that's the way all car dealers handle any warranty, you're not supposed to start the work yourself. There's a possibility your radiator is fine and there's a problem with the sensor or LIN bus instead.

Just keep in mind that emissions equipment is warranted for much longer than the cars normal warranty. Same goes for motorcycles and batteries for hybrid. I'd put your car back together, bring it in and ask for a loaner car because the part is on back order.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:44 AM

I wonder if something like this should work for you...
https://www.partswebsite.com/mitsubi...30308&fl_id=40

I agree, that is BS. My '07 is about to turn 160k miles. I don't think I have one of those new things and really hope I don't.

Old 04-08-2015, 03:44 PM

I think they are only in commifornia, I mean california.

Old 04-08-2015, 03:48 PM

Are you sure your thermostat is working and not stuck open? Probably hard to tell since it's not winter anymore.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:43 PM
Default The Dealer Speaks

Reassembled the whole front end, filled the system with water and drove to the dealer, stopping every couple of miles to to off the water. Was losing about 1/4 gallon at each refill.

The housing on the passenger side tank is indeed cracked (like I told them it was) and the whole thing is covered under warranty.

Fact is: They still have no idea how long until a replacement arrives.

So now I go on to dealing with Mitsubishi North America Customer Service

PS: I have a new thermostat and gasket, ready to put in with all the new hoses, new clamps, new filler neck and new cap

Old 05-04-2015, 11:07 PM

Guys this is a huge problem apparently. The same thing just happened to my gf today. Radiator sprang a leak, and she apparently has a DOR? Radiator as well? Spoke to the dealership and this Radiator is unavailable nationwide! They told me they have an order as early as february that hasnt been fulfilled. They are just as frustrated with the situation as we are.

One option would be to look for a used radiator, but that could be a long shot.

The work around at this point would then be to replace the radiator with an aftermarket non-DOR radiator and deal with a CEL. I was told by the dealership it shouldn't affect driveability, but the shop she took it too said it wouldn't start without the sensor being connected. I am out of town and haven't had a chance to check it out myself but will call the dealer tomorrow to figure out why it won't start with the sensor hooked up even though they said they've done it.

But this leads to another problem. If the car ever needs to get smogged (cali only im assuming) it'll fail immediately because of an emissions related CEL. So the next thought is to trick the ECU into the thinking the "LIN bus sensor" is there and working. Haven't started my research on this yet but would appreciate any info on the sensor.

I will also be calling Mitsubishi Customer Relations tomorrow to see what they say. I really hope some engineer got canned for this BS.

Old 05-05-2015, 07:25 AM

Not the engineers fault, it's california's strict emissions regulation and smog credits. Mitsubishi vehicles didn't meet emissions standards, so they installed DOR radiators to get credits and offset their emissions standars.

I have no problem with that. I have a problem with california requiring it to start the car, and throwing check engine lights. They should just install them, and when the DOR coating wears off, the car is at the end of life anyways.

Quick Reply: DOR Radiator Not Available in US