Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Drivetrain noise?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 10:09 PM
Default Drivetrain noise?

Hello, my first post. Hooray! Our 2016 2wd Outlander has the 2.4 and 36500 miles. It has a noise that sounds like a wheel bearing failing that gets louder the faster you go. Except it goes away the second you put it neutral at speed.
The Yokohama ascends have 1000 miles on them. Tires made a huge difference in handling from stock tires.
made the car feel stable in sharp turns, finally. But that noise scares me.i hope the cvt is ok. We had the tranny oil changed at 25k. Any help with ideas would b great.the nearest dealer is 175 miles away. Thanks dave

Old 04-29-2019, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Picopower
Hello, my first post. Hooray! Our 2016 2wd Outlander has the 2.4 and 36500 miles. It has a noise that sounds like a wheel bearing failing that gets louder the faster you go. Except it goes away the second you put it neutral at speed.
The Yokohama ascends have 1000 miles on them. Tires made a huge difference in handling from stock tires.
made the car feel stable in sharp turns, finally. But that noise scares me.i hope the cvt is ok. We had the tranny oil changed at 25k. Any help with ideas would b great.the nearest dealer is 175 miles away. Thanks dave
Who changed the fluid? Use OEM fluid? Check the level? I have a 2016 AWD, changed the tranny, transfer case, and dif fluid at 30,000. No issues.

Old 04-30-2019, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by Truwarrior22
Who changed the fluid? Use OEM fluid? Check the level? I have a 2016 AWD, changed the tranny, transfer case, and dif fluid at 30,000. No issues.
lithia Chevrolet changed fluid. Tech was a Mitsubishi tech before. I was told he used proper fluid. I checked it and its
at proper level and is clean. Thanks dave

Old 05-02-2019, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by Picopower
lithia Chevrolet changed fluid. Tech was a Mitsubishi tech before. I was told he used proper fluid. I checked it and its
at proper level and is clean. Thanks dave
What color is the fluid? Clear? Seems odd a Chevy dealer stocks Mitsubishi fluid? Fluid part number on your receipt?

Old 05-02-2019, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Truwarrior22
What color is the fluid? Clear? Seems odd a Chevy dealer stocks Mitsubishi fluid? Fluid part number on your receipt?
most people in Spokane wa. Use this dealer because it was the Mitsubishi dealer until 1 year ago. Mitsubishi wanted them to build a new building. They had been our only Mitsubishi dealer for over twenty years. Automation didn’t want to spend a Million dollars on the building to only sell 20 new Mitzi’s a month.I gues so they closed the dealership. That’s why they still have the techs working their. I thought the fluid looked clear and was sweet smelling. Why, what color is factory fluid.?
dave

Last edited by Picopower; 05-04-2019 at 07:50 AM.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:03 PM

I just drove wife’s Outlander again. When cold hardly any noice, but when it gets hor it makes
a drone-Ing, scraping noise, coming from under the shifter. It sounds like a bearing failing or
something. Our plans are to drive the car to the tricities, wa. Approx 175 miles one way,
if they need to keep car we will have to rent a car I guess.

Old 05-03-2019, 05:03 AM

DiaQueen cvtf-j4 is blue, I think...or green. I have regular atf which has red fluid.

Old 05-03-2019, 11:47 AM

when I checked the cvt fluid it was light green. After driving it for half an hour I checked it and the level was fine I think.
The car drives fine, no tranny slipping, trouble engaging, rpm’s stay where they always have. But that noise, that I can describe as a wheel bearing failing sound only it’s under the shifter up towards the motor, not out at the wheel and it still goes away when I put it in nuetral, say at 35 miles per hour.

Old 05-16-2019, 08:42 PM

update! Diagnosed by dealer, front diff failing. Metal shavings in oil, ouch.

Old 05-21-2019, 09:10 AM

Sounds like a warranty item, even if you're not the original owner, no?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain noise?