Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

DRL issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 01:57 PM
Default DRL issues

My battery is being drained (it's new, I replaced it because of the battery drain issue, took it to a shop and they said the battery was bad). Took it to another shop, they said it was the ignition switch. Replaced the switch, still having the issue. Then noticed the headlights remain on after the ignition is off. (no keys, light off, doors closed, etc) And no, it's not for 10 seconds, it's for a long time, minutes. Sometimes it does, sometime it does not. When they does remain on, there are times it even flickers. So most probably this is what is draining the battery. Found electrical diagrams to help me find the problem. found out the headlight relay is inside the front ECU, somewhere I read thr DRL circuitry is also in the ECU but it is not indicated in the diagrams I have. HAve not found any circuitry related to the DRL. Replaced the ECU (could not find a replacement other than a used one at ebay). But the problem is not corrected yet. My question to the forum is, what signals do activate the lamp relay? there is no detail (or at least, I have nod found it in the diagrams!) about what feeds the relay, other than the headlight switch. Its a 2005 outlander, AWD. Any help/guidance is greatly appreciated.

Old 09-16-2019, 04:23 PM

And by the way, I which better luck in this forum. Posted at other Mitsubishi forums and no comments in three weeks!

Old 09-23-2019, 02:37 PM

a common but often overlooked source of lighting drama and subsequent B+ drain are the door closed switches (I'm not sure what type are used in our vehicles) but a bad ground can trick the car into thinking the door's still open, unfortunately, automatic lights weren't offered in my year, when you turn the car off, they shut off on their own, and when you start it, they come back on until you move the switch to off, one other note is, I think the courtesy light control is in the BCM Body Control Module, not the ECM, one last thing, is it possible someone put a fail to close relay in the head light spot, so you won't be left without lights at all? I'd use fail to open then jumper it on the road if it went bad, good luck