Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

DVD in motion patch for NR261UM

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 12:11 PM
Default RE: DVD in motion patch for NR261UM

ORIGINAL: brian360

Unfortunately, embedded system's don't tend to boot that way. We're at the mercy of the bootloader, which is located on a disk-on-chip or flash memory or something similar. But theres nothing to say that we can't replace the bootloader with a custom one, then boot linux off it

I think it'd be easier to see if the MMCS has any 'hidden way' to execute programs off a CD (i.e. trick it into thinking its a legitimate upgrade disc) and run the patch application that way (recompiled for SH4 CE of course). Thats why I'd like to get my hands on the new Map data update disc, which does in fact update the firmware, so we can see what the MMCS looks for when you insert a CD/DVD, then we can mimic the behavior.
Ahh - that explains why the bootloader is looking for a key then.
I thought the map updates were just maps ..
Ok - I need a used key..
atb.
O

Old 05-12-2008, 03:04 PM

I still believe that the key is used only to mark a counter.
We shoult look over nk.exe because I don't think the bootloader needs to load the image DIRECTLY from CD/DVD. It may load loading.kwi from hdd and when nk.exe is started, THEN it looks for an available CD/PCCard/HDD to load something.
Costin

Old 05-12-2008, 03:15 PM

ORIGINAL: rcostin

I still believe that the key is used only to mark a counter.
We shoult look over nk.exe because I don't think the bootloader needs to load the image DIRECTLY from CD/DVD. It may load loading.kwi from hdd and when nk.exe is started, THEN it looks for an available CD/PCCard/HDD to load something.
Costin
Hrmm..
What makes you think that ? I'm not seeing anything in the kernel that would suggest it does anything to do with loading new firmware..
O.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:36 PM

I was just thinking the way the other units (not mitsubishi, but Toyota) is doing the upgrade .. without key. Was just a thought...
And they said that the key is used to allow only one upgrade.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:01 PM

I was just thinking the way the other units (not mitsubishi, but Toyota) is doing the upgrade .. without key. Was just a thought...
And they said that the key is used to allow only one upgrade.
Heh..
Was a good thought .. I'm going back through the applications to see if there is a way to trigger an update from the GUI..
A copy of the update DVD might help ( or access to the file structure ). There may be something unique on it that indicates its an update..
Hmm..
Do you keep the update key ?

atb.
O.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:19 AM

I do not have an upgrade CD. Does anyone have such a CD ? It's good to know if it contains a loading.kwi file ......

LAST UPDATE
Looks like the dealer has to make an update for my model, so, because I just got the car back today, I will go there tomorrow to see if the CD used will also contain an OS update.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:55 PM

I have aquestion about the procedure. At the end of he unlock procedure, it reads:
"10. Now you may turn off the computer. The disk is unlocked. You may use it with a Windows computer as a regular disk."

What is the next step to loading the file you have created?Do I have to use the Navi HDD as a slave drive? I have a laptop that has only one HDD connection.

Also, what program do I want to download for unlocking the HDD? I see no program named "unlockhd"

Thanks!

Old 05-13-2008, 06:28 PM

Hi,
I have a different version. I've uploaded it here.
Still waiting for my car

All the best,
Costin
Heh - looking at it now ..
Strangely ( or perhaps not so ) there appear to be very few differences.
For example : in the bootloader, the only changes that aren't the textual strings are the hard-drive keys..
I'll have a patch for you shortly..
atb
O.

Ok - the code is basically the same for the patch, but its beer'o'clock..
I'll knock one together for you probably before the weekend..
Do your best to get a copy of the update cd - this messing around with hard drive swapping sounds annoying .. I'm sure theres a way to fool the system into thinking this is an authentic update.

atb
O.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:31 PM

ORIGINAL: evoracer

I have aquestion about the procedure. At the end of he unlock procedure, it reads:
"10. Now you may turn off the computer. The disk is unlocked. You may use it with a Windows computer as a regular disk."

What is the next step to loading the file you have created?Do I have to use the Navi HDD as a slave drive? I have a laptop that has only one HDD connection.
Once the drive is unlocked, you may use it as a normal hard drive. It will remain "unlocked" until you reinsert it into the MMCS. If you only have a laptop with one HDD connection, it gets a little bit more complicated, especially since you can't easily select the drive to be a slave.

One thing you could do is boot a system like Knoppix with the unlocked hard drive attached, get the loading.kwi file off the drive and copy to a USB key, boot back with your original drive into windows, patch the loading.kwi file, then boot back with knoppix and the unlocked drive to copy the updated loading.kwi back to it.... ugh

Or if you have a friend with a desktop PC you can just attach the unlocked drive using a 3.5" IDE to 2.5" IDE adapter on the secondary channel to do the patch in one quick operation.

Or you could get a USB->2.5" IDE adapter and plug the unlocked drive into it and then to your laptop. Note that the USB adapter will NOT work with the unlock tool (below), but as soon as the drive is unlocked it'll work perfectly in Windows with it.

Or if these options sound frightening, hopefully we'll have an easier solution figured out soon

ORIGINAL: evoracer
Also, what program do I want to download for unlocking the HDD? I see no program named "unlockhd"
The tool you use is called "xboxhdm". There's a download link for it at the very bottom of this webpage. It will let you create a bootable CD that contains some programs (in our case, the "unlockhd" program) to let you unlock hard drives. It is intended for xbox hard drives, but works just fine on the MMCS hard drive.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:23 AM

Hrmm..
There appears to be a way to update from the configuration menu...
O.

Quick Reply: DVD in motion patch for NR261UM