Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Edmund's Long Termer(May Update)

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 12:27 AM
Default RE: 2G Outlander is Edmund's Latest Long Termer

ORIGINAL: crusher

There's a new post on the Long Term Test blog:

2007 Mitsubishi Outlander: Hard Drive Rules!

I finally took the time to learn the ins and outs of our Outlander's hard drive audio system. The menus are deep and not always intuitive.
The flexibility and capacity of the hard drive more than makes up for the steep learning curve. And the hard drive does more than just play music, it's packed with other features like a calendar, navigation system and Bluetooth to name just a few.
The hard drive combined with the Rockford Fosgate audio system is a must have feature.
Brian Moody, Road Test Editor
Not a bad first blog post!

http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadtests/c...utlanderXLS4WD
Here's a quote: I finally took the time to learn the ins and outs of our Outlander's hard drive audio system. The menus are deep and not always intuitive.

Not always "intuitive"? "deep"? Very vague words. In other words he's saying, "I am having a difficult time working through the Navi menu because this isn't the kind of Navi I was used to". Which is about right because Mitsubishi Electric does not copy menu structures from other manufacturers. But as a first hand experience with the MMCS, it doesn't take all day to be familiar with the thing. And yeah, reading the manual helps. But for an "auto-expert", he'd rather skip the manual and just blog his experience as "deep" and "not always intuitive". Using words like "deep" in a professional review is rather amateurish.

Old 04-17-2007, 12:34 AM

I think you can look at it two ways. A "cough expert cough" is saying the navigation head unit is deep. We can look at it as it has alot to offer or difficult. Dont they mean the same thing when you have no common sense? I would rather have alot of options than a 2 button piece of crap unit that you can control nothing. What other cars in this price range can allow you to control the options that you can with the outlander from the in dash navigation unit? Well see if he rewords it later on when he gets some real hands on time with it. His opinon is likely to change alot after a first impression.

Old 04-17-2007, 12:58 AM

ORIGINAL: dodo2

In case you didn't know, Edmunds is biased Toyota and Honda. Anything else is inferior by definition.
The intro alone has many errors in it (did you know that, according with Edmunds, the rear seats are heated in your XLS with leather?), which show how less the reviewer knows about the car. I already pointed out few in my "rant" on Edmunds forum.
They have a history of writing BS in the Full-Test for the Outlander. Have a look for yourself.
Biased is about right and I couldn't agree more. Care to read what they said about the RAV-4? http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadtests/963

Old 04-17-2007, 01:52 PM

I find this comment funny:
"Even the power windows have power with a capital P!One tiny touch of the driver’s automatic window control and the window’s down in a flash."
The reviewer highlights a very insignificant aspect like it's a big thing. Such a comment would only matter (if EVER) in a side-by-side comparision; for example in RAV4 it takesX seconds to take the window down and inthis othervehicle it takes Y seconds. But this would be a ridiculous parameter to compare IMO.
Most of these blog entries are EMPTY of content.Like the one about theOutlander's NAVI. Of course you have to read the damn manual and learn how to operate the device (ANY device). Why need buttons if you have a touch screen? Just retarded comments... If they cannot handle technology, they shouldn't be writing aboutnew cars; instead,write about90' cars... They have few buttons and that's it.

Old 04-17-2007, 02:03 PM

You cannot even get a Navi in RAV4 and Bluetooth is only available in an expensive package. If I recall correctly it wasn't even available in 2006 models. What a joke...

Old 04-20-2007, 12:55 AM

Update:

Apr 19, 2007 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander: Bluetooth The Outlander XLS has a ton of great features for the money and Bluetooth is among them. Bluetooth is now at the top of my must have list for any new car. Thankfully, Mitsubishi offers it asstandard on the XLS - bonus points for that.
As much as I love the feature, the pairing process is clunky in the Mitsu. While there's a comprehensive in-car computer/nav/music server, the phone must be paired via voice prompts. It's not ideal, using the touch screen makes more sense.
Brian Moody, Road Test Editor========================================

I'd like to remind Mr. Moody that he and his pals had to spend to get bluetooth interface on the RAV4.
[/align]

Old 04-20-2007, 02:25 AM

Oh yea real hard to pair it to the outlander. I have never used bluetooth before and took me a matter of a couple minutes to finish. Also when I want to call someone I bring them up on my phone real quick and click send then I just talk through the car.

Old 04-20-2007, 02:53 AM

As much as I like the Bluetooth feature, it is a hassle to program in the names. I also just use my phone when it comes time to dial a contact. Kind of defeats the "hands free" part of it.

I was hoping that it would take my phone's address book and list it on the screen. Dunno if that is possible or against some rule, but it isn't great the way it is. I'm not sure if any other manufacturers do a better job of it.

Old 04-20-2007, 04:05 AM

ORIGINAL: antlip

Oh yea real hard to pair it to the outlander. I have never used bluetooth before and took me a matter of a couple minutes to finish. Also when I want to call someone I bring them up on my phone real quick and click send then I just talk through the car.
Pairing is not the problem, it's a breeze. The drawback though is the time spent to go through the whole Q&A with the computer when you dial a contact. But it does serve a good purpose when reaching for your phone in your pocket isn't an option (e.g. running 95mph on the freeway). I'd rather have it than nothing. The thing with BT is you can do almost everything handsfree (except hitting the phone button to activate BT), but it's still a little slow.

Old 04-20-2007, 04:12 AM

ORIGINAL: biscuit
I was hoping that it would take my phone's address book and list it on the screen. Dunno if that is possible or against some rule, but it isn't great the way it is. I'm not sure if any other manufacturers do a better job of it.
But that then wouldn't be "handsfree". And I dunno if the computer can take 100+ contacts in the computer with voicetags (currently I have 178 im phone). But yes, I know what you mean. It's great to have a HF phonebook, and a listed phonebook with no voicetags. I think this is still within the realm of a software upgrade, and wouldn't require new hardware. Maybe in model year 2 or 3.

You can also add in the wishlist additional BT profiles, like sending and receiving Contact details, so you don't have to enter everything manually, but this may require an upgrade to the BT module hardware.

Quick Reply: Edmund's Long Termer(May Update)