Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

engine immobiliser

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 01:54 PM
Default engine immobiliser

How do I know if my model (2006 Outlander GLS) has an engine immobiliser? I was told by the saleslady at the dealership that it doesn't, but everywhere I checked on the net says this model should have one. How do I check to see if one is installed?

Old 04-22-2006, 02:17 PM
Banned
Default RE: engine immobiliser

Um... try and hot wire it lol... if it dies on you... then you got one lol.... other than that... i wouldnt know. Your car should have one. Its highly doubtfull that Mitsu would sell a new car without one...

Old 04-23-2006, 02:27 PM

There is a real easy way to find out. Have a key cut from a "plane jane" key stock. I will bet you it will not start the vehicle. The reason being is that the key head has electronics which communicate with the car and enable it to start....so without the proper key, the car will not start. It's a $3 experiment and a definate easy answer.

Old 04-23-2006, 03:42 PM

Thanks dirt, im gonna give that a try and see if it works.

Old 04-25-2006, 09:48 AM

they all have engine immobilisers from the factory. Standard equipment. Go to the Mitsubishi motors site. Maybe not on non-US models, but mine does standard.. Added a factory alarm in addition to the immobiliser.

Old 04-25-2006, 07:30 PM

He is from Panama...that's why he's having trouble getting a straight answer. U.S. equipment identification is no problem, but the non U.S. cars is another story.( for me anyways)

Old 04-28-2006, 05:51 PM

they should just recall all outlanders and replace them with airtreks [&:]

Old 05-01-2006, 11:36 AM
JMC

Now that's a great idea!!! I just got a recall notice in the mail the other day....for that trailer hitch jammie....boo Mitsu again!!!!

Old 05-01-2006, 04:14 PM

And now you're gonna buy a new Mitsu truck in it's infancy? jeez, you're asking for it now.

Old 07-17-2006, 10:36 AM

I just bought a used 2004. I was lucky enough to find the original sticker in the glove box. On this it is indicates "Anti-theft Engine Immobilizer". The ignition keys have large black plastic heads on them, which apparently contain a chip or magnetic piece of kind. This is detected by something in the console and allows the ignition circuitry to "close" and allow the car to start. A simple all-metal key copy won't be able to start the car. Buying a new key (the previous owner lost one), required reprogramming the whole system including the other key. Total cost was $108! The up side is that our insurance company gave us some kind of break because of the system.

Quick Reply: engine immobiliser