Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Engine now louder... anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 11:51 AM
Default Engine now louder... anyone else?

My 2007 Outlander is now lsignifiicantly louder at idle than it was previously. I only have 3000 km on it.

When I first bought the car, I was impressed as it required effort to hear the engine at idle. I even tried to start it a couple of times when it was already running! I quickly learned to glance at the tach before turning the key...

Now while sitting in the car, the rumble of the engine is obvious. When I get out and open the hood, it seems there are two sounds that are more pronounced: a deeper 'rumble' and also a ticking sound (valves?).

Has anyone else experienced any increase in engine noise since new? The only thing that has changed is it is now colder, but I can't figure out how this may be related....

Thoughts/comments?

Paul

Old 12-10-2007, 11:52 AM
Default RE: Engine now louder... anyone else?

forgot to mention, you cannot hear the ticking from inside the car, only when standing with the hood open. the main sound is actually the deeper rumble.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:55 AM
Banned

The ticking sound is your lifters. Nothing to worry about there.

What gas are you using? How frequant are your oil changes? Do you have a check engine light?

Heres what im thinking, if you are using a crappy gas that is not recomended (i forget what it takes), that could be causing added noise.

Taking too long to change your oil, or running the car low on oil can screw up your lifters causing them to tick.

I ask about the check engine light because it also sounds like it could be an exhast leak, and sometimes if it is bad enough it will trigger it, but not always.

The rumble is normal lol

Old 12-10-2007, 12:39 PM

I wouldn't dismiss the cooler temps.

I've noticed the engine is a bit louder until it warms up. The idle is elevated a bit while cold. Do you notice this after the engine is up to temp?

Old 12-10-2007, 12:48 PM

I've also noticed my engine noise increase gradually since date of purchase. I run Shell (regular), and I put about 4 3/4 quarts of Mobil 1 5w20, I haven't goten the darn work shop manual to work correctly but judging by the dipstick this is how much oil it takes to get to the "full" mark, does this sound right?

Old 12-10-2007, 03:47 PM
Banned

Oh yeah the cold will also effect the lifters.

Old 12-10-2007, 04:56 PM

I can say I noticed the lifter tick since it got cold. But once it warmed up after a few minutes it went away.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:10 PM
Banned

Thats pretty typical.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:09 PM

hmm well thats good to know... I noticed mine waslouder after I bounced it off the rev limiter *cringes* being stupid and forgetting I had it in manual and storming away from the toll booth.

I suspected I just noticed it more, it doesnt sound bad.

More of a rounder throaty sound with the decidedly Japanese enginetapping of the lifters.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:55 PM

We went though our first really cold spell last week (-20C). Noticed the engine is quite a bit louder when it is cold with some ticking. Noise reduces signficantly once the engine is warmed up.

Quick Reply: Engine now louder... anyone else?