Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Engine pinging/spark knock outlander 2003 4G69 2.4 L

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 12:55 PM
Default Engine pinging/spark knock outlander 2003 4G69 2.4 L

I have a 2003 Outlander that has a spark knock/engine ping. It does it only when warmed up and when I am accelerating. Another strange thing is that the problem accures when its over zero degrees celsius outside. Everything looks great at the computer. The spark plugs were changed, O2 sensors were changed, timing belt was checked and o.k. Injectors were cleaned. I ran about 4 tanks of premium gas with injection cleaner and even tried with higher octane. It still has the knock/ping.

Any ideas?

Old 04-28-2011, 07:36 PM

Ignition timing too far advanced?

I'm eally not up to speed on these,but in the old days that would cause your symptoms.

Is there a way to check the ign tioming?

Old 05-01-2011, 06:55 AM

i can see what the timing is on the computer but it is one thing what the computer says and another what the ignition really is. it´s a little tricky to check the real ignition because you dont have any ignition cables, just the coils right on top of the spark plugs.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:41 PM
Banned

Bad gas perhaps?

Old 05-02-2011, 12:48 PM

No i have tested both 95, 98 and 102 octane but i still pinging/knocking. i work as a mechanic and im pretty good at it but this problem is a hard one to crack. yesterday i made an adapter to the fuel line by the fuel rail to see what the actual fuelpressure was and its was 324 Kpa as i should be. i checked the resistance in the exaust if it was to high. i changed the
MAF but it´s still pinging. i checked the O2 sensors and they work as the should. tomorrow im gonna check the cranktrigger if something is wrong down there. (preignition)

give me some ideas... im up to anything right now... it can be really simple and maybe im taking it too deep.

I´m from sweden so my english is maybe not the best but i hope you all can read and understand.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:58 PM
Banned

Are you hearing a lifter or pre-ignition?

Old 05-03-2011, 11:20 AM

no its not the lifters ticking.... as i said before, im a pretty good mechanic and i have been in a top door slammer/pro mod team and also built 3 racing engines so im pretty sure its not the lifters. now im off to the garage to check if the cranktrigger is ****ed up...

more ideas please.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:37 PM

Any luck solving this problem? I'm having the same issue!

Old 06-24-2014, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Bcmjustin
Any luck solving this problem? I'm having the same issue!
start with this
Originally Posted by milliesdad
Ignition timing too far advanced?

I'm eally not up to speed on these,but in the old days that would cause your symptoms.

Is there a way to check the ign tioming?

Old 06-24-2014, 11:51 PM

I found the problem on my engine, it was the head gasket that was blown between 3-4 cyl. Do a leakdown test on the engine.

If your headgasket i blown please reply and i tell you what and where to measure to find the real issue why the gasket is blown.

Quick Reply: Engine pinging/spark knock outlander 2003 4G69 2.4 L