Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

ETACS options customization

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 09:01 AM

You cannot really compare Diagbox, somehow supporting 2 rebadged versions of Outlander and RVR/ASX, used to be sold in Europe back then, with ETACS Decoder, created specifically for our vehicles and based upon the latest Mitsubishi diagnostic DB.

There is no tool that provides access to more ETACS settings then ED, period.

Of course tire circumference is available in ED.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:26 AM

Just keep in mind ETACS sends different data to the speedo and the odometer. If you do that you will be changing the odometer reading. But since you will be slowing it down I guess that's good for you :P

Old 07-22-2015, 10:48 AM

Valdimus, I hope you understand in was not trying to compare the two. I just want to make sure that option was in there also as I am new to this. I will definitely be going with ED and it's good to know it supports more options than Diagbox did. I really appreciate the work you put into all of this.

Guyfromhe, yes the odometer would change speed also. But since it would be showing true mileage, I take it as a good thing. Haha

Old 07-22-2015, 11:41 AM

That's not how it works..

The speed sent on the CAN Bus is the true speed. The speedometer's software just adds a few points to it to compensate for worn tires, etc. so it can't possibly read below actual speed.

If you change the tire size to make the speedo read correctly the speed on the CAN will then be SLOWER than actual speed and that's what the odometer uses.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:04 PM

Ok, so speedometer is through ETACS and odometer is on the canbus line.

Say they had 17s instead of the OEM 18s. Let's say the the diameter is 1" smaller, the circumference wold be 3.14" (roughly 80mm) smaller. That would make the speedometerat 60mph read 57.6mph.
Even with this difference of the speedo the odometer would still have an actual and accurate mile? And by changing the tire size in ETACS, I would be correcting the speedometer but throwing off the odometer?

Old 07-22-2015, 12:18 PM

They both use the data on the CAN bus even the ETACS system is a node on the CAN.

I believe the speedo is by design about 5 km/h slower than actual speed on the Outlander anyway I'm pretty sure this is carried over to their other models. I thought that's what you may have been trying to correct.

If you actually have non stock tires on your car than yes both your speedo and your odo will be out a little as it is. Fixing it in ETACS will make your odometer correct and your speedo will be out only by whatever the factory programmed it to be rather than that plus whatever the tires took off.

I learned a lot about tire sizes when I was getting smaller winter tires... The size is actually the inside measurement where the actual wheels go.. There's another measurement that says how high the tires are.. My 18" summer tires have a huge opening and not a ton of rubber, whereas my 16" winter tires have a tiny opening but a ton of rubber.. In the end they are almost identical as far as outside diameter and thus the difference is like .8 km/h per 100 kim/h so I don't worry about it.

You can find online tire/speedo calculators where you enter the whole tire size number and it will tell you the difference in your speedo between the stock and aftermarket tires.

If yours is off than updating it in ETACS to match what you have won't be bad. Setting it in ETACS to a false number to match a GPS speed reading or something is what I was talking about that would screw up your odometer.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:26 PM

Oh, ok. I see what you were saying and what you thought I meant.

Yeah, I am referring to drastic tire size changes.
What you are saying make a lot of sense though.

And IF I was to change it in ETACS it would be based on actual tire size, not a GPS setting. Which will keep that OEM difference you are referring to.

Thanks for that info though! Definitely something good to know about.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:41 PM

If the tires are that different from OEM it would be a bad idea to NOT change it as everything could be out by quite a bit and it could even potentially impact other systems that depend on accurate speed like ABS and traction control, etc.

The ETACS settings should be as close to actual physical hardware config as possible or things could go wrong.

On many cars (not just Mitsu's) the speedometer is calibrated to read slightly higher than actual speed for many different reasons however the actual proper vehicle speed is always available on the CAN BUS and used by all the systems, just the PCM that controls the speedo needle/readout is set to "fuge" that number a bit.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:56 PM

Yup, that all makes perfect sense and I agree.

Personally my tires are not far off. But I know some guys that could probably use that option. Lol

Old 07-23-2015, 10:59 AM

Wow, last time I visited this thread back in 2011 it had only 20 pages.

After reading all the 123 pages, I'm interested, besides the already discussed changes (TPMS, Sunroof, etc), in the Adjustable Speed Limiter, as I posted here: https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-outlander-10/adjustable-speed-limiter-outlander-2015-a-48550/

Can someone confirm if ETACS Decoder have something related to that for the 2015 Canadian Outlander?

Quick Reply: ETACS options customization