Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Finding tweeters

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 09:35 PM
Default Finding tweeters

I saw the DIY tweeter install in an earlier post and I am attempting to find tweeters at a reasonable price, if at all, to fit my Outlander. Most of the stores ony sell component sets. Can anyone recomend a decent tweeter at a reasonable price and where to find them ? Also any feedback on mounting them would be great.

Old 09-15-2004, 04:21 AM
JMC
Default RE: Finding tweeters

Where are you looking to mount these things?

Old 09-15-2004, 10:52 AM

if i were you i woul look up crutchfield on the net and you would be able to find almost anything opu want for your stereo system. but what i did was go to somewhere local in my city, you know a little shop in the area and they were able to get me some 1in speakers for like forty dollar with tax. they were depth pro charge and make a world of a difference. they speakers came with some double sided tap and i had first stuck them on to the door itself but after listening to them for a while i deceded to tape them on to the grills and waaaaamo instantly better sound. so i hopes this helps and let me know how it goes.[8D]

Old 09-15-2004, 11:41 PM

Thanks. I've actually been trying to improve my tweeter knowledge for the past few days and found a lot of great information on the subject. Though I'm not a guru yet. I bought an inexpensive temporary pair and installed them with double stick tape. I found them to work fine for cd's and FM but AM radio was getting into them at some undefined lower frequency, causing distortion (speaker buzz.Not to be confused with speaker hum) This I figured was due to the very limited passive crossover that one finds on cheap tweeters. Secondly, being that there is no mid driver in the outlander and , tweeters only go down to 5K, and I suspect the OEM woofer Mitsubishi supplies doesn't have a fequency response that runs upward into the bottom of the tweeter far enough, I found a definite hole in the mids aapprox 1K-3K. So Iv'e opened the wallet a bit wider and ordered a better pair of tweets (1.3Khz-23Khz) which I hope will better cover that hole. They come with a better second order (Capacitor/resistor) passive crossover which hopefully will keep those nasty AM lows out. If not I will cough up more blood for an active crossover to tune the spectrum a bit better. And lastly if I'm not satisfied and am pulling my hair out with tweezers and can rob a bank, I will go the whole enchilada and install a complete component system, but I hope to avoid that. Thanks again and crutchfield does have a great selection.

Old 09-16-2004, 02:14 AM

You might want to compare prices with etronics their prices are lower than Crutchfield and they have about the same selection.

Old 09-17-2004, 01:48 AM

doest mention your location mole, but if you live in NY, canal street may have some things for you. BTW, My mitsu dealer was offering me infinity tweets for $75... Im not sure how on target that was, but I think Im gonna do more shopping before I buy