Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Firewall access ZH

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 01:39 AM
Default Firewall access ZH [Solution Found]

I have a ZH Outlander (12/2009) and am wiring up a UHF.
I'm trying to get through the firewall so I can out my antenna cable through.
(Not keen on drilling)

Any help would be awesome.

Last edited by Pud3000; 11-07-2011 at 05:20 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:26 AM

I found a non invasive solution that others might like to use.

I found on the passenger side, under the trim of the wheel arch a grommet that leads to a cavity extending to the passenger foot well. where there is another grommet under the front section of the scuff plate.

It's easy to get into, pop the caps holding the trim of the wheel arch and it's about an inch in diameter.
I drilled a hole into that and put my cable through and retrieved it in the foot well (drilling that grommet too).
Excess cables neatly cable tied to the mounting for the pollen filter and covered by the trim under the glove box.

Everything looks original and no worries with dust and water entering.
Thought I'd share to save others the trouble if they want an easy solution.
No doubt there is a similar path on the drivers side too.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:18 PM

I spent almost 2 hours looking for a decent place run a wire for a remote start hoodpin. The easiest but not obvious location is the grommet for the hood latch cable. To access it you need to pop up at least a couple of the plastic fender clips holding the fender splash guard in place. There is enough room in the grommet that you can fish a few small wires right next to the hood latch cable and you will end up right behind the fuse box and harness area on the interior side.

Just a warning - you will most likely break these clips removing them even with proper tools since they are exposed to the elements the the plastic will be brittle. They are cheap to replace.

The only other two locations I discovered were a large bundle of wires in a grommet near the steering linkage on the interior side with little to no room to fish any wire and another wire that runs through the firewall in a grommet behind the glovebox on the right hand side(if you have SIRIUS, it's right behind that module). This spot is very difficult to access and the grommet is very tight.

Came close to drilling a hole, however even that proves to be difficult as there are no obvious clear paths without starting to remove alot of trim in the interior and possible engine components under the hood.

Old 10-15-2020, 09:37 PM

PUD,
I know its an old thread - but I'm looking for a way through the firewall on a ZH Outlander.
You would not have any photos would you?
i cannot seems toi locate these grommets you mention.
ScorpioRNSWL

Old 10-16-2020, 08:50 PM
Default Qapla'.

OK I got through firewall wwithout drilling.
Rlight hand drive ZH. Following the bonnet release cable. Push grommet from inside so it comes out in the right wheel guard (remove wheel guard lining of course).
wirings through hole, then through grommet. Push grommet back in. Cable tied to existing loom top of wheel arch, then into engine bay. Across front of radiator, cable tied to fog light loom. Out behind left light cluster over to battery.

Follow bonnet release cable to grommet leading to wheel arch

Inside wheel arch cable through grommet and grommet back in place

Run a Along top of wheel arch

Through into engine bay

In front if radiator right side

In front of radiator left side

Behind left light and out to battery

Last edited by ScorpioRNSWL; 10-16-2020 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Spelling