Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

first dealer visit

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 01:20 PM
Default first dealer visit

In the coming weeks, when I can find the time, I am going to get my outie for it's first dealer visit. The main reason is to change the oil (as it will be at about 3k miles and I want to get it done sooner for the first oil change). But I am also going to have them check out some of the problems I have been having with my outie. Here is a list of my problems thus far:

~Steering shakes a bit over 60mph, it's not terrible, but definitly noticable
~TPMS keeps saying I have low tire pressure when my pressure is above 32 on all tires, I have not changed the tires at all, they are just as I got it from the dealer, and I have been having the problem since my 2nd week of ownership (I have had it since 8/31/07). Sometimes it comes on for 15 minutes, and sometimes it stays on for days, and then randomly goes off, it is very annoying.
~FM reception is terrible; I can't get stations that I used to get with my old car. And occasionally it fades in and out. BTW I have the MMCS.
~My settings always reset when I turn the car off (i.e. setting the mpg from auto to manual, and any other settings I change in the MMCS sometimes just change back when they feel like it, sometimes they stay, it annoys me so much because everytime I get in the car, the mpg is at 0 and it always resets itself so I have no clue what my mpg actually is, or how many miles I actually have left.)

Has anyone had any of these problems and had them resolved by the dealer? I will post when I get back from the dealer, although that may be like 2 weeks from now.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:36 PM
Default RE: first dealer visit

Sounds like one of your front wheels is out of balance. The dealer will re-balance for you. That should stop the steering wheel shake, and maybe the TPMS.

Havent had any trouble with the FM reception or anything. Cant help there.

Yep, somethings wrong with the MMCS memory for settings with things like MPG settings and Tone settings. My dealer doesnt know much about the MMCS so they dont know. Their fix was to maybe replace the unit, saying that the memory might be bad. But with most people on here complaining about it, its probably a software issue. An update might fix it if they ever have one...

Old 10-16-2007, 02:18 PM

ORIGINAL: smily157
~My settings always reset when I turn the car off (i.e. setting the mpg from auto to manual, and any other settings I change in the MMCS sometimes just change back when they feel like it, sometimes they stay, it annoys me so much because everytime I get in the car, the mpg is at 0 and it always resets itself so I have no clue what my mpg actually is, or how many miles I actually have left.)
The "Auto Reset mode" vs "Manual Reset Mode" for the MPG is designed to change back to "Auto" when you turn the engine off (for some period of time, it should be described in the manual). I have no idea why this is, but it appears to be intentional. To check miles remaining, there is a Distance to Empty and a Distance Driven since last refuel in the MMCS (Info->Trip) that you may find useful.

The MMCS will not remember the Touch Beep Volume setting, and maybe a couple other minor settings. This is a known problem (at least to those of us on this forum... no idea if mitsu will offer a fix for that) for the outlander and 08 Lancer. If the MMCS is constantly forgetting *all* your settings then you have a separate issue.

Old 10-16-2007, 02:44 PM
tcp

Auto reset time for the MPG display is 4 hours. Don't drive for 4 hours and you start over.

Old 10-16-2007, 03:58 PM

The radio issue is known and there is a replacement head unit forEACH model. There is no TSB on it, but have you dealer to call Mitsubishi to learn about the replacement procedure.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:35 PM

If you are in Canada, Mitsu Canada is still working on the radio issue. The replacement head units they have used here do not seem to correct the issue. Just have to deal with it until a solution is found.....hopefully soon because it is most annoying.

Old 10-27-2007, 10:37 PM

Ok, I got it back from the dealer yesterday and here is what they had to say.

~Regarding the shake, they drove it up to 55mph, and said there is nothing, and that if there is something wrong, they can't find it because they are not legally allowed to drive over the speed limit (55mph), so basically they said there is nothing that they can do for me, I am SOL.
~TPMS was an easy fix, it needed to be reset and is now working normally.
~Regarding FM Reception and FM fading in and out, here is the sorry excuse I got. They said that all radios are different and that some don't get the same channels as others, it isjust how the radio works and there is nothing wrong with it,and they did not notice any fading so there is nothing to be done, it is working fine (their answer).
~They said that the setting did not reset any time that they had it and refused to admit that anything is wrong and that it is just how the car worked, which is bull. I know because basically my outlander changes setting all of the time, I can set different things in the MMCS, or through the info display and sometimes it will just change back to what it was before, but not always. They said that since it did not do it in front of them, that there was nothing that they can do.
~I also had the TSB done for the accelerator, I do notice a little bit of a change, but nothing big.

The service guy also scolded me for using 4WD in the rain. He said that it is ONLY EVER to be used in the snow, no other time. He said that in 2wd mode, that the car automatically adjusts torque to the different wheels when needed. And that any other time is likely to damage the car, which is news to me because the car has been in 4wd mode since I got it 2 months ago. The general manager and my salesman told me something completly different, and I had read other things online, does anyone know if this is true? Because it is annoying that I don't know who to trust.

Another FYI, I had the oil done while I was there, and it was (at my dealer) about $31, plus I (for some reason) got 2 new free wiper blades from some promotion. That is actually cheaper than Jiffy Lube and using genuine mitsu parts and knowledge (hopefully), so that is nice, although I had to take it back this morning for them to do it because they forgot to do it yesterday when I had everything else done.

Old 10-28-2007, 12:18 PM

Thats BS about the not going over 55, tell them you will take them to another state to test it.Whatare youstuckwhere ever you live just because the car cant go over55 withoutshaking andbecause thats the law you arent entitled to get it fixed.

On the other hand spend $20 and have someone else balance the wheels and see of that doesnt help. I have found theres no guarantee that the dealer will actually balance them. When I had my Nissan it had cheap steel wheels, well the hole was off center, I had to go elsewhere to find that out [:@]

You also want to make sure you dont have something stuck in the tire that isnt leaking but heavy enough to shake the tire.

Im not worrying about the radio until they come out with a fix. I already had the dealer try to fix it even though I didnt want them to and it actually made it worse.
I installed sirius which is what I listen to anyway. Im looking at a double din DVD player to replace the whole thing anyway.

The 4WD is news to me. I didnt see anything in the manual about that. Its been brought up here before. Although Im unlikely to leave it in 4WD anyway it does make taking twisties a bunch of fun.