Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Fitting 225/75/R16 to stock wheels (2007)

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 04:09 PM
Default Fitting 225/75/R16 to stock wheels (2007)

I want to upsize the overall tire diameter, while keeping it on the stock 16" alloys on my 2007 Outlander LS AWD. Seems to be the easiest way to get a larger contact patch, some extra ground clearance, and increase my max approach/departure angles. Yes, I know I need to replace the gearing for the speedometer to calibrate it for the larger circumference. The question is how far can I stray from from the stock size of 215/70R16?

What is the largest tire you've heard successfully fitted to one of these cars? I think I can get away with LT225/75R16 tires which are 0.5" wider and 1.5" taller than stock (overall difference, not from center point) without getting any rubbing or otherwise hitting the wheel well.

My roommate and I are planning trips to go offroading in Moab and trying some remote trail heads around us, so now seems as good a time as any to fit some new tires. I'll end up getting a set of either the Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 or the BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 (both fit on the stock wheel, have a knobby, aggressive offroad oriented tread and are severe snow rated), but I'm not sure what size to get.

TIA

Old 03-10-2021, 12:06 AM

Hi mate, did you succesfully fitted those 225/75-16? Cheers

Old 03-10-2021, 07:24 AM
Lightbulb Wondering the same

I am trying to do some research to see if this combo works, I wanna go as big as I can on the Rubbers for AWD/4WD/OFF-Roading/Rally/Urban/OffLanding
Would this exact setup work on a 2008 Mitsubishi Outlander without rubbing issues on stock height and suspension?

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires.j...=Scorpion+All+ Terrain+Plus&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=465TR7SATP XL&tab=Sizes

With these wheels?

https://veloxwheel.com/order/select-...?vehicle=23037

Old 03-12-2021, 01:19 AM

@SERPENTOR both your links are dead, seem to be shortened from the original URL Can't speak to your wheels, but I highly recommend the Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus for a tire. Currently running it with good success in dry, wet, mud, and snow. Haven't tried them in Summer sand yet.

I ended up going with 235/75-16 on the stock wheels with no problems at all, looks great with more tire filling the wheel well. That size nets a 0.5" increase in ground clearance and 0.8" wider contact patch. Doesn't sound like much but it absolutely helps put down the power in sand mud and snow vs the skinnies that sink to the bottom. No noticeable loss in power or gas mileage. The aforementioned 225/75-16s do rise almost 0.2" higher than what I have, but I don't see that being an issue. If it does scrub it shouldn't be anywhere but the absolute limit of suspension travel. The increased circumference does add 1-3mph to your speedo depending on how fast you drive, so keep that in mind when trying to figure out what speed bracket you're risking a ticket in.
Checkout my Google Sheets file that details the difference vs stock 215/70-16s. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Hurrah Pass, Moab, UT

Hurrah Pass, Moab, UT

Hurrah Pass, Moab, UT

Old 03-12-2021, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Coggeshall
@SERPENTOR both your links are dead, seem to be shortened from the original URL Can't speak to your wheels, but I highly recommend the Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus for a tire. Currently running it with good success in dry, wet, mud, and snow. Haven't tried them in Summer sand yet.

I ended up going with 235/75-16 on the stock wheels with no problems at all, looks great with more tire filling the wheel well. That size nets a 0.5" increase in ground clearance and 0.8" wider contact patch. Doesn't sound like much but it absolutely helps put down the power in sand mud and snow vs the skinnies that sink to the bottom. No noticeable loss in power or gas mileage. The aforementioned 225/75-16s do rise almost 0.2" higher than what I have, but I don't see that being an issue. If it does scrub it shouldn't be anywhere but the absolute limit of suspension travel. The increased circumference does add 1-3mph to your speedo depending on how fast you drive, so keep that in mind when trying to figure out what speed bracket you're risking a ticket in.
Checkout my Google Sheets file that details the difference vs stock 215/70-16s. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Hurrah Pass, Moab, UT

Hurrah Pass, Moab, UT

Hurrah Pass, Moab, UT

Beautiful truck bro,
I am down to tire size 255/55/R18 my biggest concern is that I have stock height and stock suspension will there be rubbing or grinding? If anyone can give advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 03-14-2021, 12:56 PM

Who makes the best and safest lifetime warranty lift kits for 2007-2010 Mitsubishi Outlander 4WD?