Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Fliters and such.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 08:15 AM
Default Fliters and such.....

Hey all, I keep seeing posts and comments about Fram being a poor/bad brand. What is the foundation for these claims? I only ask to educate myself, as I have used Fram for many years with no problems. If Fram truely is a bad brand, what are the alternate brands outside Mitsu parts that are better?

Rob

Old 10-09-2007, 08:54 AM
Default RE: Fliters and such.....

Fram is known for using cardboard end caps (on the edges of the filter media inside the casing), while others use stamped metal. Some say that the cardboard can come apart after being saturated with oil.They also use plastic 'springs' for the bypass valve (which if it breaks,it would justpass unfilteredoiland the comparisons I've seenshow that they use less filtering media than others.

To sum it up..they make it as cheaply (for them) as they can

I just changed my oil and put on a Purolator filter. I believe the part number was (P)L14610...same that is used for what seems like 85% of Japanese motors

Old 10-09-2007, 10:28 AM

I don't see any reason to buy any other brand than what the manufacturer recommend. Of course we are free to choose, but why not buy OEM? Does the Mitsubishi filters cost more? I'm totally oblivious of pricing since I let the dealer change the oil/filter for 19$.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:41 AM
Banned

If you would like to see my little contribution to this, just search and you will find my little input : )

Old 10-09-2007, 01:09 PM

I've used the Mobil filters for the past 5 years and continue to use it on my new outie, they have excellent filtration ratings and I have never had any problems in the past, I can't say the same about others.

As far as Rcpax's question "why would you use anything other than OEM?" I agree, unless you are far away from a dealer I dont see the point of buying aftermarket. I'd rather drive 5 minutes to autozone and get my mobil for almost the same price as the mitsu OEM, but its 30 minutes away.

Old 10-09-2007, 03:41 PM

My closest dealer is about 45 mins away. I would much rather deal with the local auto part store and buy the pureolator filer as well. I could just buy lets say 5 filters at once, but what do I do if they give me the wrong one? Now I just wasted a hour and 30 mins plus another hour and 30 mins to fix the problem. 3 hours when advanced auto is 2 miles away. Plus I did the whole lets buy5 filters at once thing before and ended up either losing them, or selling the car.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:35 PM

Well, after reading the post about Fram, I think I will never buy Fram again (the plastic piece in the oil gallery was a shocker). I think Wix/Purolator/Mobil filters will be my next choice. I live 25 miles from the "Better" Mitsu dealer (I refuse to deal with Crain) so once I start to change my own oil, I will buy my own filters/oil. I don't have a problem taking the Outie to the dealer, as the service department is really good (I took it in today for it's first oil change and the ECM re-flash) and the area is clean and well kept. I am glad I asked the question about the filters, as I learned a great deal more about oil filters. I was reading in the manual the only requirement for a non-Mitsu oil filter was a minimum burst PSI, which I think was 268psi (I don't have the manual in front of me), but it did suggest using OEM parts.

Rob

Old 10-11-2007, 06:08 AM

I did see a post that an outlander owner fitted a aftermarket oil filter and it screwed is engine and they are not sure what to do it looks like mitsubishi will re-build is engine under warranty. Had this happened in the UK they would not fix it.

Always always use a Mitsubishi oil filter they have a pressure release valve. I have seen a mitsubishi car that had an aftermarket oil filter and it had blown apart.

In addition on the V6 engine the valves can be become noisy (tapping noise).

A mitsubishi oil filter can wreck your engine is it worth saving $5 when you may need a new engine?

puddy

Old 10-11-2007, 06:52 AM

I forgot to ask the service department how much the Mitsu filters were, because if I can get them cheaply at the dealer I'll get them there and have them when I change my oil, or when I am gone for 5 months the wife can just take it to the dealer.
Rob

Old 10-11-2007, 10:12 AM

ORIGINAL: puddy

I did see a post that an outlander owner fitted a aftermarket oil filter and it screwed is engine and they are not sure what to do it looks like mitsubishi will re-build is engine under warranty. Had this happened in the UK they would not fix it.

Always always use a Mitsubishi oil filter they have a pressure release valve. I have seen a mitsubishi car that had an aftermarket oil filter and it had blown apart.

In addition on the V6 engine the valves can be become noisy (tapping noise).

A mitsubishi oil filter can wreck your engine is it worth saving $5 when you may need a new engine?

puddy
There is nothing magical about the OEM filter..It is a good filter and I would have no issues using one, but it contains no features that aren't in any reputable oil filter (at least in the States)

I would almost bet that in that case with the failed engine, something did fail..but it wasn't because of an oil filter...It's MUCH more likely the service department wanted to

1. Look really good to the customer by appearing to do them a huge favor
2. Sell them future service andoil changes

Quick Reply: Fliters and such.....