Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Fluid Refills

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 11:00 PM
Default Fluid Refills

So everytime i go to my dealer for an oil change, I always forgot to ask do they use DOT3 or DOT4 for the brake fluid.

What does the outtie take when I first bought the CUV? DOT3 or DOT4 like it says in the manual? I mean theres is still plenty of fluid left but I'm worried about not knowing which one and bought the wrong one and mix it.

Also for the coolant, Manual says
Use “BASF Glysantin Alu Protect Premium /G30” or equivalent. Does that mean the prestone 50/50 mix is ok?

Lastly the power steering. Manual says
Use “ATF DEXRON III or DEXRON II”. Which one is in my outtie and mixing good idea if you don't know which one?

Old 01-16-2008, 03:42 AM
Default RE: Fluid Refills

I think mixing isn't a good idea.
Any work fluid in the car works in hard conditions. Nobody knows how that "coctail" will work after couple tousand miles, it isn't ?

Old 01-16-2008, 09:57 PM

Dot3 and Dot4 are comletely compatible. Dot5 is synthetic and CANNOT be used in a D3/D4 system. Mixing D3 with D4 is fine and will present no problems. Given the option use D4, but really unless you are really heating the brakes up D3 will be fine. You should never need to top the fluid up however, as it is not a consumed fluid. It drops with the thinning of your brake pads, and can be used as a roughindicator of pad condition. If it is unusually low you have a leak and also will have a squishy brake pedal. You should change the fluid, however, every 30K or so.

A 50/50 mix of high quality coolant with distilled water is ideal for the Outie. Avoid Dex-Cool or any other orange coolant. This should also NEVER need topping up as it is not a consumed fluid. If your coolant is low there is a problem. Keep in mind the overflow tank fluid level will fluctuate a bit with changes in coolant temperature. For a good check note the level in the bottle in the morning before you start the car with it cold, and use that as a reference. Check it under the same circumstances for an accurate reading.

Dexron II and III are virtually the same.Power steering fluidalso should NEVER need topping up, and if it does it indicates a problem. The fluid aslo will likely never need changing over the life of the vehicle.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:40 PM

thanks man that really helps alot.

The reason im asking is I want to go buy the fluids myself and refill if necessary. There is nothing wrong with my outtie though.

I am just confuse that it is listed 2 options like DOT3 or DOT4..since I don't know what DOT it is in the tank when I first bought the outtie. The same as the Power steering.