Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Fog light hole repair, sorry no pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 10:34 PM
Default Fog light hole repair, sorry no pics

Our Outlander is not equipped with fog lights. While on a highway, a rock must have hit one of the covers just right and knocked it out. My wife has been bugging me to either put fog lights in or "fix it so it doesn't look stupid". We are trying to save money, so I fixed it. Here's some general instructions on how to go about doing it, hopefully it gets some ideas going.

- Remove plastic trim under the nose. Remove lower gray plastic trim pieces from the "chin". Remove black duct work piece that blows air on the tranny fluid cooler. Basically, all plastic that keeps you from easily getting to the back of the fog lights.
- Trim away any flashing where the old cover was...clean it up.
- Find some plastic that has a suitable color similar to the trim. I used an old paper shredder bin that had a dark gray finish. For whatever reason, the plastic used on those things are generally thick, strong, yet flexible.
- Cut an approximate 7 inch diameter circle for each fog light.
- You'll notice there are only three screw holes to mount your cover, two of the screw holes have guide pins. Measuring can be a pain...so this is quicker if you have steady hands. Put a very small dab of grease on the tip of the pins and place the cover where it will sit. The grease dots will be where you drill the holes for the guide pins. Start small as you can always drill more, too big and your guide holes will be too loose. Once guide pin holes are done, do the same trick with the screw holes...just a little bit of grease around the hole and seat the cover as you want it. Remove the cover and drill where your grease marks are.
- The mounting holes do not have threads, so your screws will have to be slightly bigger than the hole. We aren't holding back the Hoover dam...just a small piece of plastic with three screws.
- Repeat for other side.
- Put all your trim pieces back on.

I wish I had taken pics of the mounting holes and such, but it was hot and I wanted to get it done. It didn't really cost me anything as I already had the tools and material lying around. At first glance, you wouldn't notice it. If you look closely, there is a 1/2" gap between the cover and the hole in the bumper.