Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Hole beneath the driver's side fog light in the v6

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 11:33 AM
Default Hole beneath the driver's side fog light in the v6

Hey there,

I was washing the outie (2009 V6 4wd) and under the fog light there is an open space. The space is covered by a panel on the passenger side. The space looks like a rectangle roughly 2 inches by 5 inches or so.

I was told this is so air can get to the oil cooler that is only on the V6. Therefore, the 2.4L engine doesn't have this space.

Can you guys verify this by checking your vehicle? Just let me know if you have a V6 and there is a space on the drivers side under the fog light.

thanks!!

Last edited by newoutlanderfan; 08-16-2011 at 11:33 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 08-16-2011, 11:48 AM

It is for the transmission cooler and exist on all Outlander 4 or 6 cyls

Old 08-16-2011, 08:01 PM

I have the 4 cyl and also have the cooler. There is no hole on my Outlander on either side below where the fog lights would go. The cooler, which is black and looks like a small radiator can easily be seen by looking through the lower grill in front and that's where it gets its air from.

Last edited by azjake; 08-16-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by azjake
I have the 4 cyl and also have the cooler. There is no hole on my Outlander on either side below where the fog lights would go. The cooler, which is black and looks like a small radiator can easily be seen by looking through the grill in front and that's where it gets its air from.
I know most of Outies has transmission cooler behind the hole under driver's side fog light, while in some markets (e.g. Russia) CVT transmission doesn't have neither cooler nor hole.

But having cooler without the hole supplying air to it looks completely strange...

Can you show us some pics of it?
Here is what my 2010 XLS 3.0 tranny cooler looks like:

2010 RVR 2.0 CVT (Outlander Sport in US).
Driver's side:

Passenger side:

Old 08-17-2011, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Vadimus
I know most of Outies has transmission cooler behind the hole under driver's side fog light, while in some markets (e.g. Russia) CVT transmission doesn't have neither cooler nor hole.

But having cooler without the hole supplying air to it looks completely strange...

Can you show us some pics of it?
Here is what my 2010 XLS 3.0 tranny cooler looks like:

2010 RVR 2.0 CVT (Outlander Sport in US).
Driver's side:

Passenger side:
hey there,

Yeah, mine looks the same as the red car outie above (except mine is a 2009, so it looks a bit different). However, with mine, the whole cv boot is exposed....kinda dumb design I think. BUt it has the panel in the passenger side, just not in the driver;s side (like above).

Thanks!

Old 08-17-2011, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by azjake
I have the 4 cyl and also have the cooler. There is no hole on my Outlander on either side below where the fog lights would go. The cooler, which is black and looks like a small radiator can easily be seen by looking through the lower grill in front and that's where it gets its air from.

I'll take a pic of my 2009 v6 tonight. Can anyone else just verify or snap a pic of their 2007-2009 outlander (V6) has a space that is open below the driver's side fog light and NOT open on the passenger side?

Greatly appreciated.

Last edited by newoutlanderfan; 08-17-2011 at 10:01 AM.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:59 AM

Based on the pictures Vadimus posted the layout is different than what's on my 08 ES. On my ES I have the large silver A/C condenser with the smaller black cooler in front of it on the driver's side. More importantly on my ES there is nothing behind the area where the hole is punched out on Vadimus picture's, but there obviously is on his. My condenser and cooler both end long before they get that far over on the driver's side.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:19 PM

In Canada, from 2007 to 2008 at least, all Outlanders had the so called "towing package" included. Which is essentially just the transmission cooler (not tow bar, ironically) you see behind the hole.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:57 PM

here are the pics..the hole is on the right.

look familiar?

Attached Thumbnails Hole beneath the driver's side fog light in the v6-aug-2011-004_1_1.jpg   Hole beneath the driver's side fog light in the v6-aug-2011-006_2_1.jpg  
Old 08-17-2011, 07:59 PM

I have the cooler and actually went back and looked at the window sticker which I saved, and there is no mention about a "towing package" in the US version of the 08 ES model. My owner's manual does however say that the towing capacity of the 4 cyl is 1500 lbs.

Quick Reply: Hole beneath the driver's side fog light in the v6