Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Fog lights on 07 Outlander?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 01:07 AM
Default Fog lights on 07 Outlander?

So I was just discovering on my wife's new 07 Outlander that the fog lights are only on for DRL's, and you can't turn them on with the HID's? WTFM8?

Old 03-10-2008, 11:49 AM
Default RE: Fog lights on 07 Outlander?

Been covered many times. It would be to bright to be leagal with the HID's and Fog's on at the same time.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:20 PM

I think that's the first I've heard of the too bright reason, but it makes sense because the fogs on most carswill turn off for High Beams (I used to think it was for electrical load reasons..well that and you should only use low beams in fog..but 99% use foglights for show)

Also, the foglamp bulbson the HID models aren't the same as on the non-HIDs. They use a less bright 1157 bulb, often used for turn signals.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:17 PM

That's just rediculous.

The Evos have HID's that have fog lights that are able to be ran.

Hell, even the Envoy that my wife drove before the Outlander had fogs you could run with the HID's.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:18 PM

First I have to say, states have different traffic laws. But most states allow a vehicle to have a total of 4 lights on at a time. So this could be 2 low and 2 fog, or 2 low and 2 high. This is why vehicles that have fog lights have their fogs turned off when the high beamsare activated.

Just look at the vehicles that drive that have HID's. MANY of them have their fogs on at the same time. Having fogs and HID's on is not illegal for being too bright. ??? The brighter the better, thats why they came out with HID's. Fogs are usually a lower watt bulb anyways, that usually points at the ground lighting up the first 10 feet. Fogs are not suppose to affect other drivers.

We (someone) needs to find out how to overide the DRL's so that they stay on all the time, with HID's on or off.

Edit: Oh yeah, PLUS some non-US versions DO have HID's that have the fog feature and not the DRL. Meaning their HID's and fogs are on at the same time.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:47 PM

^^ I agree 100%

What would it take to try it out? I don't really have any experience messing with the wiring and such, but SOMEONE has to have the knowledge to figure this one out. Like 50% of the members of this sub-forum would be super excited!

Old 03-10-2008, 06:19 PM

I'd be more than willing to take a stab at it, considering I'm an aircraft electrician in the Air Force, but after dealing with my local Mitsu dealer with my Evo...I'm not about to do anything to my wife's car that the dealership could point fingers at and void warranty work.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:04 PM

Out of curiosity, do you guys want both on just for esthetic's or functionality? When I typically want my fog light to be on when it's snowing, we don't get much fog around here, I also want my headlight to be as low as possible, otherwisethe only thing I seeare snowflakes coming at me.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:13 AM

ORIGINAL: chenarm

Out of curiosity, do you guys want both on just for esthetic's or functionality? When I typically want my fog light to be on when it's snowing, we don't get much fog around here, I also want my headlight to be as low as possible, otherwisethe only thing I seeare snowflakes coming at me.
I'd say both.

If I'm going to have fog lights, I want to be able to use them when I want to. If not, why do we have fog lights?

Old 03-11-2008, 10:02 AM

Definitely both. I think the more light the better, and I think it would look good with the HIDs.

Quick Reply: Fog lights on 07 Outlander?