Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Fog Lights always on?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 09:58 AM
Default Fog Lights always on?

Hello Everyone...

I have a 2010 Outlander GT and I have to turn the fog light switch every time that I turn on the headlights.

Anyone know if a way to integrate these where they come on when the headlights come on?

BIG D

Old 10-03-2011, 10:23 AM

In the US and Canada This is illegal. (Fog give up too much glare)

By law, Fog lights are to be used ONLY in inclement weather.

This is why Mitsubishi has programed the ETACS that way.

In fact the North American programing turn off the Fog when you switch to high beam.

There is way to separate the Fog dependency to the low beam but not to link it automatically.

https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mi...g-36067/page2/
Post 20

Old 10-04-2011, 04:04 PM

I don't intend to ruffle feathers here, but most of your response is incorrect (at least in the US). It's definitely NOT illegal to have fog lights engage with the headlights (many vehicles have a mechanical rocker switch that can remain in the ON position, dependent on headlight activation). It's also not illegal to engage them during fair weather. Although legislation/enforcement is up to individual states, the laws are generally equal-- no more than 4 forward lights can be illuminated at any given time, except when the high beams are active. Finally, properly-aimed OE fog lights are not major offenders when considering glare (I'm not talking about the garbage aftermarket HID plug-and-play flame throwers people put in which are ALL obviously illegal and dangerous). I stress OE and properly-aimed. Remember, vehicle manufacturers have to comply with strict illumination standards for every single light on the outside of the vehicle. So assume if it makes it off of the assembly line, it complies with national minimum/maximum standards (when properly-aimed and using the original type of luminary).

Old 10-04-2011, 06:23 PM

Many Nissan models (e.g. Murano) are factory set to use their foglights as a DRL.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Phatty McPatty
I don't intend to ruffle feathers here, but most of your response is incorrect (at least in the US). It's definitely NOT illegal to have fog lights engage with the headlights (many vehicles have a mechanical rocker switch that can remain in the ON position, dependent on headlight activation). It's also not illegal to engage them during fair weather. Although legislation/enforcement is up to individual states, the laws are generally equal-- no more than 4 forward lights can be illuminated at any given time, except when the high beams are active. Finally, properly-aimed OE fog lights are not major offenders when considering glare (I'm not talking about the garbage aftermarket HID plug-and-play flame throwers people put in which are ALL obviously illegal and dangerous). I stress OE and properly-aimed. Remember, vehicle manufacturers have to comply with strict illumination standards for every single light on the outside of the vehicle. So assume if it makes it off of the assembly line, it complies with national minimum/maximum standards (when properly-aimed and using the original type of luminary).
Use this rhetoric next time a grouchy cops stop you. I suggest you read the code book. There is a reason new cars are programmed that way They have to certify to the code your opinion does not. Your quote is from the 60-70 when headlight had to be sealed beams. I will not argue any more.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:53 PM

IN THE US

I agree that the laws are up to the states themselves. Here in Texas there is no specific regulation about the fog lights. as mentioned above we do have the regulations about 4 front facing lights at one given time. any auxillary light must be positioned lower than the headlight/ low beam. they can be any color, although it does mention "white" or clear, as long as they are not be red or blue in color. they cannot flash in any manner that mimics emergency or law enforcement vehicles.

for the matter of inspections, fogs are not even mentioned.
headlights must be free from obstruction (tints, films, etc)
they must be aimed properly (measured at a certain distance)
and again must be white or yellow

fogs have never been a part of the inspection

now as a matter of use, well yeah they should be use in inclement weather. the glare i think is negligible. but for example here we average over 100degrees all summer. it hasnt rained here in a good while. if i waited for inclement weather i would use them once a year...maybe. this is why i modified the etacs to use them independent of the low beams.

i have read the texas code book because i was interested in finding out about the color required by the code and if yellow was allowable. a cop once told me it was illegal. i think he was just in a foul mood because i had just beat him at the track, in his personal vehicle of course.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Claude_A
Use this rhetoric next time a grouchy cops stop you. I suggest you read the code book...
Your quote is from the 60-70 when headlight had to be sealed beams.
The problem with your argument is that I have actually read the code book in my state (and others) in the US and represented it accurately in my initial response. See here and here. Contrary to your belief that I'm quoting codes from forty years ago, this Virginia code was updated in 2006. I can't speak for Canadian codes and its "grouchy cops".

There is a reason new cars are programmed that way They have to certify to the code your opinion does not.
Instead of broadly and blindly stating I'm wrong, please provide citations. I'm especially interested in this last assertion since this implies hundreds of thousands of vehicles on US roads are illegal.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:51 PM

Federal rule, not states, otherwise you would have 50 different cars.
Just like here, it's a federal rule not a provincial.

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/cor...006/18e_14.pdf

At the end of chapter 3.4

Attached Thumbnails Fog Lights always on?-2011-10-07_154817.png  
Old 11-11-2011, 08:38 AM

Federal rule, not states, otherwise you would have 50 different cars.
Just like here, it's a federal rule not a provincial.

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/cor...006/18e_14.pdf

At the end of chapter 3.4
That's just a broad statement from Mitsubishi. They're obviously not going to break it down by every single country. But as I said before, fog lamps are not Federally regulated items of motor vehicle equipment in the US. Fog lamp installation and use are regulated at the state level...sort of (most states' lighting regulations are so minimal, so vague, or so outdated as to be practically nonexistent). Those few states that do have reasonably applicable regulatory language tend to refer to SAE compliance, so in every case I'm aware of automakers equip their US-model vehicles with fog lamp systems conforming to SAE J583 (Front Fog Lamps). Fog lights that engage with the headlights are quite common and not illegal. Although SAE J583 has recently (late last year) been made more stringent with respect to fog lamp switching. Specifically, this new text has been added:

The front fog lamp switch shall be reset to “off” whenever the headlamp and parking / tail lamps are switched off or the vehicle ignition is switched “off”. If the vehicle ignition is switched “off” for less than 30 seconds with the front fog lamps activated, the front fog lamps may remain activated.
So to the degree automakers choose to adhere to J583, the type of switch I described would no longer be legal.

States also regulate how and when various lamps may be used (ie, fair weather). Since the laws are so vague, it's unlikely it's illegal to use fog lights during fair weather but you'd have to check your state's laws. Even if it is illegal, the laws tend to be contradictory. Oklahoma for example:

Front fog lamps may be used with lower beam headlamps or switch controlled in conjunction with the headlamps and may be used, at the discretion of the driver, with either low or high beam headlamps.
"Front fog lamps may be used with the lower beam headlamps…and may be used…with either low or high beam headlamps". Which is it? "Front fog lamps may be used with lower beam headlamps or switch controlled in conjunction with the headlamps" …what?

Old 11-11-2011, 11:10 AM

No wonder Mitsubishi take the worst possible scenario.

Quick Reply: Fog Lights always on?