Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Forward Collision Mitigation

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 05:19 PM
Default Forward Collision Mitigation

Anybody have real world experience with this ?

Old 06-25-2014, 06:35 PM
Default Forward Collision Mitigation

yes. i've managed it for quite some number of years through a process i call "keeping my eyes open and paying attention"
it also works to both left and right.

by christ i wish more people would do it when they're operating cars.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:45 PM

disregard our special friend akzle...he's got a load of sand somewhere...makes him cranky.

no experience with it...didn't know the new Outlanders had it, but to be honest, I'd drive them as if it didn't.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:01 AM

The 2014 has it with the Touring pack. I must admit the Subaru ADD on TV is pretty impressive. I just wanted to find out if anyone had this and if it appears to work well.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:42 PM

Like anything else it is not perfect. Under specific situations it will work as advertised however as above it is best to pay attention yourself. There is a video of the Outlander with the collision mitigation not working.......you can imagine the results.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:09 AM

yes indeed I can. Is the video on you tube ?

Old 06-27-2014, 08:04 PM

I saw it as a quick clip around 6 to 8 months ago. Never linked to it or saw it again sorry.
It was supposed to look like this.
but went like this

Last edited by firebuck; 06-27-2014 at 08:06 PM.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:48 PM

I have this option in my Outlander GT. Tested both stages already on purpose. Definitely worth the money, in my opinion, with all these smart phone distractions we have nowadays.

First stage is just an audible beeping with a giant yellow flashing "BRAKE!" on the screen. Triggers early enough for you to stop safely by breaking normally.
Second stage triggers way too late for comfort. The car starts breaking and stops fully if it is physically possible. It does not feel like emergency breaking either. The breaking force increase gradually. When I tested it I could not bear waiting for it to fully stop and slammed on the break 3/4 through the auto-breaking It would have stopped on its own for sure, though

Old 06-28-2014, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Nickolka
with all these smart phone distractions we have nowadays.
youre driving a car. You shouldnt be smart phone distracted.

Again, "paying attention" achieves a similar result without making drivers more stupid than they already are.

Old 06-29-2014, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Nickolka
I have this option in my Outlander GT. Tested both stages already on purpose. Definitely worth the money, in my opinion, with all these smart phone distractions we have nowadays.

First stage is just an audible beeping with a giant yellow flashing "BRAKE!" on the screen. Triggers early enough for you to stop safely by breaking normally.
Second stage triggers way too late for comfort. The car starts breaking and stops fully if it is physically possible. It does not feel like emergency breaking either. The breaking force increase gradually. When I tested it I could not bear waiting for it to fully stop and slammed on the break 3/4 through the auto-breaking It would have stopped on its own for sure, though
Thanks for the information.

Does "it" know if the road is wet to adjust the parameters ? Or can they be adjusted by the driver ?

I have been driving for a long time and yes have been caught out by something unexpected happening. A guy check braked a woman at a light that had just gone green, everyone was speeding up and then slammed on her brakes, the car in front of me hit her, and i hit the car in front. I didn't have anti-lock and skidded into the mess. It was unexpected and my reaction may have been slow, or I couldn't stop as fast as the cars in front with their anti-lock, don't know. no I wasn't on the phone or distracted.
So my point is that I am aware that the latest anti-lock, brake assist and whatever is available may help in the future.

I have read that all drivers get distracted all the time by small things, even looking at the speedometer counts.

Quick Reply: Forward Collision Mitigation