Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Front windshield washer pump not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2020, 11:19 AM
Default Front windshield washer pump not working

Has anyone had to troubleshoot a non working windshield washer (front) on a 2015 Outlander Sport?

The rear works. There is no audible sound when activating the front one. It requires that the bumper cover be removed to access the pump and reservoir on the front right of the vehicle. It is not accessible through the innerfender. : / It appears that it is only one pump motor but hard to tell. I am here to get some information prior to removing bumper.

Thanks

Old 10-26-2020, 03:16 PM

What do you want to know?

Old 10-27-2020, 10:43 AM

I am wondering if it has 2 separate pumps. If it is only one, as it appears then how does the 2 system work?

Old 10-27-2020, 12:27 PM
Default There is only one pump

There is only one pump that operates both the front and the rear washer (see the attached figure). See also the wiring diagram of the system.

Since you have stated that there is no audible sound when you activate the front washer, your likely culprit is either the column switch itself or the ETACS connection (C-403, terminal 13).
To verify this, you want to make sure that you are not getting voltage to the washer motor. Check with a multimeter at this location (you will need someone to operate the switch while you are measuring the voltage):

If this is the case you have to check the connections at the column switch and at the ETACS-ECU terminal.
A quick note. If either the ETACS-ECU terminal or the column switch is faulty you likely have a DTC registered, so do a stored code check.
The washer switch likely to throw a B2351 code.

If this is OK check the connections on the center column:

Finally, check the C-403 connector at the ETACS (see also the wiring diagram above to locate terminal 13) :

You might get lucky and find the bad connection quickly or you may have to go through the entire hunting.
Good luck.

Old 10-27-2020, 10:22 PM

Thanks for the comprehensive information. I looks like the way they get one motor to be dual function is by motor reversal. With both relays deenergized they are ground potential. When either of the relays energize that becomes positive. So I am assuming then that I can find these relays in the ETACS. ( ie fuse box at the drivers side knee )

Much appreciated.

Old 10-27-2020, 11:45 PM

The relays are part of the ETACS internals, so if you have 12v changing polarity in the c-403 connector, then the fault is elsewhere, if you only have 12v in one direction then the ETACS is the cause.