Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Frozen Outie'07 - list of problems. Need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 03:06 AM
Default Frozen Outie'07 - list of problems. Need advice.

Hello from russian Outlander club.

My friends from Syberia asked to your advice. They haveproblems with '07 models:

1) Thermometer on dash can't show temperature lower than -30*C. Ex: in real are -37, but dash shows -30 and driver dont understand that today will be better use city transport than more expensive and delicate SUV.

2) At temperatures lower than -20*C many guysafter a short ride have problems with messages on dash: "Service reqiure", "Gearboxstill in safe mode" (both CVT and AT)etc. Solution is simply as a toy: need to disconect "+" wire from battery for 20 seconds. Thats all. Very stupid, it isn't? Note: coldenginestarts quickly without any problems.

3) Some guys have problems with gearbox (both CVT and AT) at temperatures lower than -15*C.Chain of actions:
first:turn a car on, couple minutes to warm up, city drive about 10-15 minutes, ignition key out.
second: short stop (10-15 minutes), car still warm, turn it on, but... Gearbox lever blocked in "P"
Solution: warm up about 10-15 minutes on idle.

Stupid problems, it isn't? I guess that some are frozen but what? First generation of Out - was more firmly.

In my region temperature still about -10...-20*C I'm waitingmore cold with worry.
Anybody can help my friends?
Anybody hear about this case troubles? Do you have solution ?
---
thanks a lot.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:23 PM
Default RE: Frozen Outie'07 - list of problems. Need advice.

I guess this is one for some of the Northerners and Canadians - lowest it gets down here in Florida was like yesterday at -2 degrees C (29f)!

Old 01-04-2008, 01:47 PM

Lowest I've seen in Toronto, Canada so far was -19C this week. The Outlander sat outside over night and it started in the morning with no problem. I warmed it up for a few minutes, drove it out of my driveway and then park it in my garage few minutes later after I took the other car out. It behaved as normal as possible. Maybe not cold enough yet.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:39 PM

I've experiencedabout the same temperature here in Montreal, without any problem.But I'll be alert for anything similar. As for a solution, the only thing I can think of is using a block heater and hope that it effects the transmisson?!?

Old 01-04-2008, 04:47 PM

I forgot to mention that I remember reading a post recently on one of the Outlander boards from a member living in the Northwest Territories IIRC who said that he started his Outlander no problem at -40C or so. I think the discussion was about the block heater and the need (or lack thereof) of it in the Outlander. I think that they were saying that the Outlander shouldwork at -50C without a block heater according to Mitsu.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:59 PM

I've experiencedabout the same temperature here in Montreal, without any problem.But I'll be alert for anything similar. As for a solution, the only thing I can think of is using a block heater and hope that it effects the transmisson?!?
My pen friends from Syberia use block heater (Webasto) on Outie and turnit exhaustdirect to gearbox. They spoke - that is help.
In middle of Russia more popular security systems with remote (by key, temperature orclock)"start engine" function.
--
I hope that anybody hear about similar problems and find the solution.
Thanks a lot.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:24 AM
tcp

We've had a pretty warm winter here in Calgary(days averaging a -15 to -5 spread), but I have driven quite a bit between -15 and -20C in the mornings and never had any problems. The outlander takes a few minutes to warm up, but never causes any problems you described. It sounds like the PARK lockout solenoid got stuck there. There is an override. If you look by the "P" in park on the shifter, there is a round plastic cover...quite small, maybe 1 cm around in the plastic. if you pop that cover off you can "unlock" the parking lockout solenoid manually and take the unit out of park. It still allows you to take the transmission out of park and drive around if the solenoid fails.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:26 AM

I'll send this info to my pen friends in Syberia.
Thank you, tcp.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:27 AM

It works!
One guy already used it after he has read my post! He has stop on red light before a train line. It was during about 5 minutes. And... gearbox lever was locked in "P". He pulled out a small cap and unlock it!
Thank you very much from Russia!

I had read all instruction manual but not found this solution.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:06 AM

I live in the Northwest Territories of Canada and can confirm that the temperature control on the dash will only read to -30C. That's as low as they designed it to read, which is of little use to people living in our northern climates (at least for about fourmonths each year) but that's life I guess.

Sorry to hear about the other problems they are experiencing, I have not experienced any problems with service errors or shifting problems. I have successfully used my Outlander down to -40C so far this year and routinely use it in the -30's. I don't have a block heater and am amayzed that it starts but it does every time.

The only problems that I have experienced in the cold are minor compared to the problems you speak of. I have problems with the back hatch not locking when it is cold. Seems that the latch freezes up, it is a pain. I also have problems with ice build up on the front windwshield between where the defrost vents are located and the wipers start (about 5cm or 2") this tends to cause the wipers to refreeze to the windshield.

Sean

Quick Reply: Frozen Outie'07 - list of problems. Need advice.