Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Frustrations with stock (premium) radio!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 08:07 PM
Default Frustrations with stock (premium) radio!

Howdy all,

I just recently good my Outie XLS (2 weeks ago!) and I've been pretty frustrated by some of the functions (or lack thereof) of the stock premium radio system.

The first main things that's really been bothering me is that when listening to the radio or satallite, the steering wheel controls SEEK instead of going through the programmed presets. I'm not sure who thought that the steering wheel up/down button should SEEK instead of going to the next preset station, but that guy should be fired! Given that there are 2 FM modes (12 options) and 4 satellite modes (24 options!), one never really needs to seek for a station after settings their favourites on the presets. I know this is kind of a small thing, but I'm stuck in rush hour traffic 2+ hrs every day and I change my radio constantly, so it really starts getting to me that I can't use my steering wheel control properly like EVERY other car on the road with these controls!

The other thing that bothers me, and again this isn't major but just annoying, is that the display doesn't scroll automatically. What I mean is, if I have the satallite radio on a certain channel, it displays the channel information/artist/song/etc in the display area. However, to get to that information you have to constantly press the "Display" button and "Page" button if it's over 12 characters. Most cars that I've driven or rented in the past will automatically scroll this information, why the heck does the Outlander not do this? If I'm interested in the song name I have to press Display to get there, then press Page to display the full name, and then Display a few more times to go back to the Artist, etc.

The satallite radio connection also constantly cuts out on me even when I'm in a wide open, main street with no obstacles overhead, or sometimes when I pass under an overpass, etc. I can live with this, but it's just annoying how fickle the connection is.

Does anyone know if there's a way to change any of these functions? Can I take it to the dealer for a quick reprogram or something? I haven't seen anyone complain about this yet, so maybe it just gets to me more than most or something...Other than these small issues I really really love the car! I'm getting compliments on it all the time and already ordering things to mod it a little. Thanks for any help or comments on this!

Old 01-09-2009, 08:38 AM
Default RE: Frustrations with stock (premium) radio!

No one has any of the same problems as me, or has found a fix for it?

Old 01-09-2009, 08:45 AM

Same for me with the steering wheel controls I wish it was program to go too the next preset put it seek like yours ! I notice that if you press the mode button when your radio is off it will turn it on and hold it 3 sec and it turn the radio off thats good but why not setup the other button so it goes to the next preset !

Old 01-09-2009, 01:06 PM

This might be because I have the Nav... but on my steering wheel controls whenusing Radio or Sirius and pressing the arrow (next) button it goes to the next preset station. It does NOT seek like you say yours does.

Like I said, I have the Nav system so maybe this is why this is different. But I dont know why they would make it different between different stereo options.

The only way I can Seek is by pressing and holding the Tune button on the nav screen. Which actually takes forever! haha.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:22 PM

tdford: It must be because of the nav unit, because I have the 'premium' sound system w/o nav and when I press the up/down buttons it seeks and doesn't go to the next preset station. It really doesn't make any sense to me at all, but that's what it does!

Not to hate on Mitsubishi or anything because I really do love the Outlander so far, but part of me can't help but feel that that's the difference between a Honda or Toyota. Those companies pay attention to detail and quality down to the very last button and ****, and everything functions the way it should. It just baffles me why the steering wheel button would seek. But again, other than these small little things I love the Outie so I can't complain too much!

Old 01-09-2009, 06:09 PM

The only thing you didnt complain about was the reason I ripped my base radio out.
The FM reception SUCKS!. I have one of the first ones out of the factory so they must have figured it out or the premium is just better.

Any re the satellite, I have Sirus aftermarket installed in the Outie, 93 Silverado, 2001 Alero and a boat. I also have factory XM in a 2008 Silverado.

That makes 5 total units different types. The factory one on the new Silverado is the most sensitive and cuts out more often than the others.

As far as whats normal with satellite. Cutting out under even a 2 lane overpass is normal, it can cut out for whatever odd reason when it doesnt look like it should but maybe once or twice a month. Some types of cloud cover seem to affect it but not all. Trees, cliffs, buildings can affect it. Same as it would affect a GPS.

I would have to bet that yours is normal.

I put a double din DVD player in mine. The reception is much better on FM, not terriffic which makes me wonder if there isnt something with the run under the roof, already replaced the antenna.

I have no steering controls anymore, dont miss them much. Now Im looking for an amp.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:47 AM

Mit knows of the bad reception Problem with the early outlanders. Owners who complain usually get it changed. I do agree, while the outlander is good, it feels like a rushed, unfinished product. The radio, fuel consumption resets, weird climate control logic, bad throttle and transmission software.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:44 AM

ORIGINAL: Mislovic

Mit knows of the bad reception Problem with the early outlanders. Owners who complain usually get it changed. I do agree, while the outlander is good, it feels like a rushed, unfinished product. The radio, fuel consumption resets, weird climate control logic, bad throttle and transmission software.
Oh wow I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed the fuel consumption resets and the strange climate control behavior!! The fuel consumption resets hasn't bothered me too much, but I noticed it and thought it was weird. The climate control is crap and doesn't work. I'll set it to 25 degrees C. and put it on auto and I'll sit there shivering until I take it off auto and just set the fans speed myself. I think you hit it right on Mislovic, it just feels like a rushed, unfinished product. Some of the finishes that separate a superb product from a good product just aren't there. But I suppose it is cheaper than the equivalent Honda or Toyota product, so can't complaint *too* much. I just wish there was a way to fix the seek/tracking buttons on the steering wheel because that REALLY bugs me!!

Old 09-23-2009, 01:19 PM

*bump*

Has anyone spoke to a dealer or customer service about this? I'm sick of the seek buttons and I've only had the car for 3 weeks.

There must be some communication bus reprogramming or wiring harness to fix this. How does the steering wheel talk to the radio?

I was unaware of the climate control issues. The thermal sensor is on the bottom right of the dash near the steering wheel column correct? Maybe you just have hot legs.

CN