Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Gas mileage????

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 09:56 PM
Default RE: Gas mileage????

ORIGINAL: piper

Tareks, your absolutly right where's the 12,3L that Mitsu promise me???? It was the number one VUS in Quebec in the car book and economical VUS.....I can't imagine the other one that did not won the contest!!!! GAS GUZZLER IS THE RIGHT WORD......
Here's a thought: Why don't you tell us what other vehicles you've owned and drivenin thesameconditions (-35 C, etc.,), and be fair about it. Did you get great mileage? If so, the answer is simple - sell the Outlander and buy whatever you hadbefore. I can tell you that every vehicle I've ever owned has gotten the worst fuel mileage in cold weather, and that's not even as cold as you're talking about.

I don't understand why you don't focus on what you could do to improve mileage. Maybe the temperature is the big factor, maybe short trips, maybe you could change some of your habits.Maybe there's something mechanically wrong with your Outlander and you should have it checked out. Have you done a long highway trip to see how well you could do on mileage?

You seem to want to stomp your feet and complain until you get somebody to agree with you, when your experience isclearly not normal for most of us.

Old 01-17-2009, 12:11 AM

ORIGINAL: Wheeldog
Here's a thought: Why don't you tell us what other vehicles you've owned and drivenin thesameconditions (-35 C, etc.,), and be fair about it. Did you get great mileage? If so, the answer is simple - sell the Outlander and buy whatever you hadbefore. I can tell you that every vehicle I've ever owned has gotten the worst fuel mileage in cold weather, and that's not even as cold as you're talking about.

I don't understand why you don't focus on what you could do to improve mileage. Maybe the temperature is the big factor, maybe short trips, maybe you could change some of your habits.Maybe there's something mechanically wrong with your Outlander and you should have it checked out. Have you done a long highway trip to see how well you could do on mileage?

You seem to want to stomp your feet and complain until you get somebody to agree with you, when your experience isclearly not normal for most of us.
My last car was a 95 civic, and obviously I wasn't expecting the same sort of mileage as the civic, but I was expecting at least close to the advertised mileage. 16L/100KM is not close to the advertised 12.7 or so. With the exact same route in my civic I was averaging 9L/100KM and in the same temps. I live in Vancouver where it does not get very cold. -5C here is considered an exceptionally cold day, and the last week we have been above 0 consistently.

Also, when you say "your experience is clearly not normal for most of us" I'm not sure if that's true. There's about the same number of people complaining about the gas consumption as there are saying it's fine. And my commute is all city, why would I take it on the highway to try and achieve a better mileage? I obviously know it'll be better on the highway, but unfortunately that's not an option for me. I'm just comparing my previous car with this one, and comparing what I'm getting currently with what's advertised for the vehicle.

You don't have to get so defensive about the vehicle either...we're just here for discussions sake. I still love the car and it's something I'll have to deal with, but it definitely isn't a vehicle that's 'good' on gas.

Old 01-17-2009, 12:27 AM

sell your vehicle then. obviously you have unrealistic expectations. its a 6cyl SUV for crying out loud. if you think its that bad. get out there and research what other small SUV's average. the only one that will get close is the honda suv. quit comparing it to cars. its not a car.

the people who are complaining, dont understand its not a car, its an SUV. compare it to other SUV's, or sell it and quit complaining about it

Old 01-17-2009, 12:47 AM

ORIGINAL: BrodyGuy

sell your vehicle then. obviously you have unrealistic expectations. its a 6cyl SUV for crying out loud. if you think its that bad. get out there and research what other small SUV's average. the only one that will get close is the honda suv. quit comparing it to cars. its not a car.

the people who are complaining, dont understand its not a car, its an SUV. compare it to other SUV's, or sell it and quit complaining about it
Obviously you're missing the point here. According to mitsubishi-motors.ca the Outlander XLS 4WD (V6) gets 12.0 L/100KM for City driving (http://www.mitsubishi-motors.ca/Outl...fications.aspx). Now of course this is under ideal testing conditions etc so I'd expect real world results to be higher. But I get just under 16L/100KM for city driving. This is a 33% increase over what's posted. That's not just a little more, that's a LOT more. People are obviously going to be upset with this. I was expecting probably around 13L/100KM or even 14 on the high end, but almost 16??? Give me a break. My mom drives a Toyota Rav4 with 270 horsepower and she gets better mileage than me. Maybe not an apples to apples comparison, but definitely gets me thinking maybe this is another instance of Mitsubishi just being the cheaper brand and just not ready to compete with the big boys.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:29 AM

ive known mitsu for a long time now...
and, before there was a honda...mitsu had already been playing with these "so-called" big boys

Old 01-17-2009, 02:37 AM

ORIGINAL: tareks

Obviously you're missing the point here. According to mitsubishi-motors.ca the Outlander XLS 4WD (V6) gets 12.0 L/100KM for City driving (http://www.mitsubishi-motors.ca/Outl...fications.aspx). Now of course this is under ideal testing conditions etc so I'd expect real world results to be higher. But I get just under 16L/100KM for city driving. This is a 33% increase over what's posted. That's not just a little more, that's a LOT more. People are obviously going to be upset with this. I was expecting probably around 13L/100KM or even 14 on the high end, but almost 16??? Give me a break. My mom drives a Toyota Rav4 with 270 horsepower and she gets better mileage than me. Maybe not an apples to apples comparison, but definitely gets me thinking maybe this is another instance of Mitsubishi just being the cheaper brand and just not ready to compete with the big boys.
I will agree with you Mitsubishi does not make the most fuel efficient engines, in comparison to Honda and Toyota. But this does not mean that Mitsubishi's engines are gas guzzlers either. A couple mpgs less as the RAV4 doesn't make it a gas guzzler.

So far, in your discussion, you have not factored in the temperature, road conditions, and environmental conditions, which will greatly affect the mileage. Advertised MPGs are a guide. They don't mean to be actual, day-to-day MPG. There is no such thing as "as-promised" or as "as-advertised" MPG. For MPG is a highly variable number, affected by multitudes of factors.

Another point is your driving style. Maybe your mom is driving more conservatively than you that's why she gets better mileage. Does your mom drive alone all the time? Do you drive alone all the time? Passenger load affects mileage. So far I haven't seen that factored in too.

How long have you owned your Outlander. I didn't get to see better mileage until my car has about 10K of US miles on it. New cars need time to "loosen up". Did I see fuel quality factored in? That can affect mileage too.

With regards to Mitsubishi not being able to compete with the big boys, let me tell you this. Mitsubishi has been making cars long before Honda and Toyota ever existed. Mitsubishi not being as successful as Honda and Toyota does not mean they make cheap products. The RAV-4 and CR-V have problems as well. I have seen this first hand and that's the reason why I bought the Outlander.

As for me, my mileage is highly variable, right now I get on the average 15-19 US MPG with -10 F average temps, having to sit out at least 5 minutes idling to warm up. On a nice summer day I get 20-22 US MPG. I can't complain. I got a nice electronic 4WD system I can switch on the fly at 80 mph, plenty of horses at the flick of a finger. I have outrun X3s, X5s, Rav-4s and CR-Vs with my Outlander, which cost a couple of grand less. Hey, it is indeed "cheaper" than the competition. More car for less money.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:58 AM

ORIGINAL: tareks

My last car was a 95 civic, and obviously I wasn't expecting the same sort of mileage as the civic, but I was expecting at least close to the advertised mileage. 16L/100KM is not close to the advertised 12.7 or so. With the exact same route in my civic I was averaging 9L/100KM and in the same temps. I live in Vancouver where it does not get very cold. -5C here is considered an exceptionally cold day, and the last week we have been above 0 consistently.

Also, when you say "your experience is clearly not normal for most of us" I'm not sure if that's true. There's about the same number of people complaining about the gas consumption as there are saying it's fine. And my commute is all city, why would I take it on the highway to try and achieve a better mileage? I obviously know it'll be better on the highway, but unfortunately that's not an option for me. I'm just comparing my previous car with this one, and comparing what I'm getting currently with what's advertised for the vehicle.

You don't have to get so defensive about the vehicle either...we're just here for discussions sake. I still love the car and it's something I'll have to deal with, but it definitely isn't a vehicle that's 'good' on gas.
I apologize for coming off as defensive. My post was actually directed toward the person that started this thread, not toward you, and I was trying to point up the fact that heshould try tolook for ways to improve his mileage if possible, rather than just trying to complain.

It seems that the OutlanderV6hasamuchbigger range ofgas mileage than other vehicles I'm used to. There are people who talk about getting 32 mpg (7.35l / km) on the highway, and then thereare the reports like yours and piper's of around 14mpg (16.8 l / km) in all city driving. That is a HUGE swing. I never would have believed it, but I am starting to believe it.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:56 AM

Also, remember that people fail to post if they have a 2WD or 4WD version. That alone could translate to 4-6 mpg difference from postings I've read in car reviews.

Old 01-17-2009, 04:49 PM

the v6 outlander mileage does varies widely depending on the driving condition. with city start-stop driving, it is easy to get only 15l/100km. however, if you can cruise at about 60-70km/h, you can easily get 7-8l/100km. this seems to be the norm. compared to other 3ltr v6 SUV, it is one of the better ones.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:28 PM

i agree fully with the driving style. yeah my gas mileage sucks if i have a heavy foot at the green light. but if i drive it nice and dont act as if ive got some earth ending emergency to go attend to then yeah the mileage is superb. i cant fully disagree more with the "gas guzzler" frame of mind. when i go to the pump and i put in 60L of fuel and it gives me 600km in winter, i could not imagine of calling it a gas guzzler. if you want to see a gas guzzler go rent a Denali, Yukon, Escalade, Suburban. Even tho they are a different class of SUV, those are the gas guzzlers.

By the way I drive 10km through the city and another 11 on the highway to get to work. And i climb up a small mountian to get to work, and my average on the display is 8.6L/100km for the trip usually by the time I get to work. When I owned a Lancer which is great on gas, i would have 7.5 by the time I got to work. Big difference when you concider engine size, vehicle weight, winter conditions, and warm up time? I think this vehicle is great, better then great. Its Fantastic!

Quick Reply: Gas mileage????