Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Gas mileage????

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 08:50 AM
Default RE: Gas mileage????

[/quote]

Obviously you're missing the point here. According to mitsubishi-motors.ca the Outlander XLS 4WD (V6) gets 12.0 L/100KM for City driving (http://www.mitsubishi-motors.ca/Outl...fications.aspx). Now of course this is under ideal testing conditions etc so I'd expect real world results to be higher. But I get just under 16L/100KM for city driving. This is a 33% increase over what's posted. That's not just a little more, that's a LOT more. People are obviously going to be upset with this. I was expecting probably around 13L/100KM or even 14 on the high end, but almost 16??? Give me a break. My mom drives a Toyota Rav4 with 270 horsepower and she gets better mileage than me. Maybe not an apples to apples comparison, but definitely gets me thinking maybe this is another instance of Mitsubishi just being the cheaper brand and just not ready to compete with the big boys.

[/quote]

I think you are missing the point.. The posted city mileage is the the best mileage you will ever get...The real world city mileage will allways be less..

You need to rethink what the Outi can give you in MPG.... It's a V6 and it is heavy SUV.....So if you need better MPG I would get a smaller car...

Just my 2 cents worth....

Old 01-18-2009, 11:17 AM

ORIGINAL: BrodyGuy

i agree fully with the driving style. yeah my gas mileage sucks if i have a heavy foot at the green light. but if i drive it nice and dont act as if ive got some earth ending emergency to go attend to then yeah the mileage is superb. i cant fully disagree more with the "gas guzzler" frame of mind. when i go to the pump and i put in 60L of fuel and it gives me 600km in winter, i could not imagine of calling it a gas guzzler. if you want to see a gas guzzler go rent a Denali, Yukon, Escalade, Suburban. Even tho they are a different class of SUV, those are the gas guzzlers.

By the way I drive 10km through the city and another 11 on the highway to get to work. And i climb up a small mountian to get to work, and my average on the display is 8.6L/100km for the trip usually by the time I get to work. When I owned a Lancer which is great on gas, i would have 7.5 by the time I got to work. Big difference when you concider engine size, vehicle weight, winter conditions, and warm up time? I think this vehicle is great, better then great. Its Fantastic!
I would kill to get that kind of gas mileage!! 8.6L/100km for a V6 SUV is almost too good to me true, honestly, but if that's what you get then consider me jealous. However, like I said before, my commute is 30km each way in rush hour traffic and the highways aren't an option. It takes me about an hour each way. I've tried driving very gently and even then my gas mileage blows. It's probably just the reality of my route and the stop and go traffic.

The only time I got lower than 14L/100KM going to work was when I drove like a grannie and basically never went over 40km/h and pissed off a lot of people behind me The gas issue is something I'll have to deal with. It's not that I need the higher MPG, but it would be nice I've got the money to pay for gas (for now), I'm just worried if gas prices double again then it might be a little harder to swallow! The Outie is a great car overall, and you definitely do get a lot for your money and I'd definitely recommend it to others.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:38 PM

Stop and go will kill the mileage on the Outlander, I'm not sure if it's more so than other cars, I've never paid that much attention to city mileage with my other cars. I have tried using the paddle shifter to see if I can improve the mileage and this is not scientifc by any means, but I think that by shifting up when the RPM reaches 2000 and also shifting down when slowing down, I have been able to improve mileage a bit.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:20 PM

i tried on my way to work last night, to put it in "manual" transmission. i had the live fuel average bar on the MMCS and it did improve the mileage probably around 10% or so when making the big hill climb. signifficant. i think it was.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:51 AM

ORIGINAL: chenarm

Stop and go will kill the mileage on the Outlander, I'm not sure if it's more so than other cars, ...
yes, same deal with all cars. all will suffer with stop-go traffic, however, the extend varies, chiefly on the weight of the car and your acceleration style.. everytime the car moves off, the engine needs to burn sufficient petrol to move the car.
my other car, a Accord 2.4 (acura TSX) uses almost 13l/100km in similar condition, compared to its cruising 7.5l/100km (at avg of 100km/h). putting that in perspective, the 250kg heavier and v6 outlander uses 15l/100km.
outlander vs tsx, is 26% heavier, with a 25% bigger engine, but fuel consumption is only 15% worse.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:00 AM

I really like my V6 4wd XLS but I must say it IS a gas guzzler. I used to drive a Nissan X-Trail(4wd) and would get 7.8-12 L/100 km depending on conditions. With the Outie, I get between 9.5-19 L/100 km. Same driver, same roads, VERY different numbers. Thank God gas is half the price is used to be.If it evers goes back to 1.50$ a liter, I'm going to have to walk a lot more.

As a test, on the highway I set the cruise controlto 90 km/h (55 mph)and the best itgot was 9.5 L/100 km. At 90 km/h, every single car on the highway is going faster than you.

I was going to bring the car to the dealer to have him check the fuel mapping because I thought the car had a problem and might be running rich . Now I see I'm not alone. I hope that by switching to synth oil I will get a few more km out of a tank. I am not looking forward to hauling the pop-up this summer as that usually adds 20% fuel usage (OUCH!). I might need some fuel barrels in the trunk because I might not make it between gas stations. I love the car but the fuel mileage SUCKS. Car manufactures should be held responsible for drivers not being able to acheive the posted fuel consumption numbers. Come on guys, 13 mpg, that is Hummerv8 territory which is the reference in gas guzzlers. IfI drove the car just a little hard, I would put a Dodge Ram 3500 to shame and out drink him under the table.

My car is still young so I hope that it will improve but this is the biggest problem I have with the car. To those saying, "Just buy your old car", well if you give me the money I will lose by selling the car because the posted fuel economy numbers were complete lies, I might just do that.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:32 AM

It isn't a lie. While some owners will post poor mileage, I for one can attest I get better than advertised fuel economy, on certain days. Not everyday, and especially not during winter. But spring summer fall, I get very good mileage.

You have to understand posted mileage is only a guide. It was never meant to be accurate.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:01 PM

your mpg will show better number below half tank. just cause at full tank, the car weighs much more.
i gain about 2mpg better below 1/2 tank but of course driving like that long distance is not feasible.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:54 AM

Just a quick note, I'm not sure how accurate the real time mileage indicator is. Reason being is that generally when I drive the real time indicator shows me at under 15L/100km. But when I fill up and stick the KMs driven since last fill up, etc in my excel spreadsheet I get in the high 15L/100kms range. The spreadsheet is definitely accurate since it's based on actual kms driven and litres filled, so that indicates to me that the car's real time indicator is off. Not by a whole lot, but by around 1-2L/100kms.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:13 AM

If you want to double check your data to make sure use the Canadian government fuel calculator.

Their site is slow to load always been like that don't ask me !
http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/transportatio...ator-input.cfm

Quick Reply: Gas mileage????