Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

General Impression - Gas Mileage Woes

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 03:24 PM
Default General Impression - Gas Mileage Woes

Hello all, new owner and poster. We bought a 2006 Outlander in about September 06. We commute 55 miles each way and average between 65 go 75 miles an hour driving in the Anchorage, Alaska bowl. When we bought it, the car had 10K miles on it, so breakin period was complete. With stock tires, even with AWD, the car drove somewhat eratic unless you were in a straight line. We put studded tires on and it now corners like it is on rails...really hugs the road. Gas mileage has been averaging from 20 to 23 miles per gallon, usually about 275 on the tripmeter when I gas up. Other than not being overly happy with gas mileage, the car has done well. Not to loud at highway speeds, even with studs, and pulls strong (auto tranny) and seems to have the power to stay out of trouble if the need arises.

Other than tires, my only intended modification will be to put a K&N filter in it, it will pay for itself with filter changes within about a year anyway, so why not buy it. I'll post again after driving with it a few months to inform if the mileage changes.

Cheers,
Hubba

Old 03-07-2007, 03:48 PM
JMC
Default RE: General Impression - Gas Mileage Woes

Hands down...the first Gen Outlander sucks on gas!

Old 03-07-2007, 05:21 PM

Hi Hubba, nice to see an Outlander owner from Alaska. You sure have the ideal climate to put this ride to the test! how much snow can it take?
good that you changed tires because these stock Yokohama's don't get any grip in snow... I've tested them for the first time on the only day we had snow in the whole winter!
But I'll stick with the Yokohama's until they've worn enough to be changed...

I suppose you fellows use low-viscosity motor oils for the extremely low temps? I guess a 0w30 would be perfect for the Outti in arctic conditions? Also, this should have an impact on fuel economy when the engine is cold.
I'm averaging 10.5l / 100km aka 22.5 MPG, which is quite good if you take into account much urban driving and my drivestyle.. but it's a manual transmission, that might make a difference.

I want to put in a K&N airfilter too, but I first need to ask if it would void my warranty... chances are my dealer won't like it either, since it's not good for their business.

Some pics would be nice!

Old 03-07-2007, 07:14 PM

Yeah the 4g69 is a gas chugger, the advertised mpg's are bs, I know from experience with my ralliart, that thing probably averaged at 20mpg, my new awd ls beats that by a couple of miles with lots more power.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:13 PM
JMC

The new Outlander is so much better...41 the other day on the highway

Old 03-07-2007, 08:23 PM

huh, the best i've seen on mine was 29 on the highway

Old 03-07-2007, 08:26 PM

I had it in the low 40s as well acording to the navigation screen. When I fill back up ( 3 times so far ) I calculate my MPG. So far all 3 times it has been 18.812391209. I only have 700 miles on mine and I drive only in the suburbs, all back roads and a few highways never do I go to the city.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:40 PM

ya know, as anyone noticed that the fuel milage average is based soley on throttle, and not engine load, or RPMs, Heres something to try, put it in sporttronic mode, and get to about 50mph, in 6th gear. Now, holding your foot at the exact same position, and not lifting or moving the throttle, click it down a gear, or two, or three. The "average mpg" gauge never moves. LOL, how funny.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:53 PM

Your saying take it up to 50, and drop it down to 3rd with out moving the throttle and the mile per gallon won't change?

Old 03-07-2007, 09:13 PM
JMC

I get about 39 to 43 on the average highway drive. I check the MPG on the cluster not the Navi....

Quick Reply: General Impression - Gas Mileage Woes