Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

General Impression - Gas Mileage Woes

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 09:28 PM
Default RE: General Impression - Gas Mileage Woes

thats exactly what im saying. you can do it at any speed. its hillarious

Old 03-07-2007, 10:14 PM

ORIGINAL: JMC

I get about 39 to 43 on the average highway drive. I check the MPG on the cluster not the Navi....
Dude something's gota be way off on your's, have you calculated how many gallons you put in and the amount of miles you travel before the next fill? if you did and your still getting the 40's, then you got some kinda experimental outi there and I would be one happy owner.lol, there are hybrids out there that dont even make it to 35.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:54 PM

I know. thats what i was thinking, but hey, I have seen some really high numbers at times, if I am using very little throttle pressure, and going mostly down-hill or flat.

Old 03-08-2007, 01:18 AM

Im going to have to try out the downshifting thing. If my RPMs jump up and my MPG stay the same then I know their calculations are bogus.

Old 03-08-2007, 07:13 AM
JMC

ORIGINAL: OTO27

ORIGINAL: JMC

I get about 39 to 43 on the average highway drive. I check the MPG on the cluster not the Navi....
Dude something's gota be way off on your's, have you calculated how many gallons you put in and the amount of miles you travel before the next fill? if you did and your still getting the 40's, then you got some kinda experimental outi there and I would be one happy owner.lol, there are hybrids out there that dont even make it to 35.
Wrd....Straight Tom Cruise Control the whole way.

Old 03-08-2007, 09:49 AM

yeah, I've been thinking it was bogus anyway. but try it yourself. Its really hilarious.
That reading is soley based on throttle pedal position

Old 03-08-2007, 10:12 AM

Just like when you read the MPG from the specs, it's not a reliable source to go by, can't understand why so many people even look at the screen read outs. Just do fuel tank brim test, fill up tank to brim and see how many miles you physicaly get from it and measure the amount of fuel you put back in, bit of simple maths and there you have it theTRUE MPG for your vehicle and the way you drive.

Old 03-08-2007, 03:01 PM
JMC

Wrong or not...this is what the MPG says.

Old 03-08-2007, 08:09 PM

Well I did it today and doing 35MPH and going from 6th gear to 4th gear there was no difference in the MPG read out. My RPM's only went from like 1200 to 1500 though not a real load increase and I wasnt pushing the outlander any harder. Your probly right though that it reads out by gas pedal position.

Old 03-08-2007, 08:13 PM

ya know, I talked to my old man today, and he said something interesting about it. Once you downshift, it creates more load on the motor, and if you dont change your foot position, the car will slow down. Maybe since the car is slowing down, and you arent using that power from the higher revs to keep your speed up, then you are using the same amount of fuel, then again, I highly doubt this. I did it today, dropping from 6th at 60 to 3rd at 60, and my RPMs moved up like 3 grand. thats alot. and I really didnt slow down much, from say 60, to 57, or so. who knows...

Quick Reply: General Impression - Gas Mileage Woes