Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

GPS/Navi for XLS outlander (canada)

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 02:18 PM
Default GPS/Navi for XLS outlander (canada)

Hi
I just got a new 07 outlander XLS but we didn't got the Navi/DVD package (to expensive) and now we like to add a navi/GPS system to the car, I checked with my mitsubishi dealer and the price they gave me for the one that comes with the car is even higher than the actual option that you pay with the XLS (navi system $3403.91 + instalation kit $620.00 + labor don't know how much this will be yet) as you can see this is way to expensive!.
My question is, has anyone try to install an aftermarket (best buy/future shop) GPS/navi system on this car? do you know if the Pioneer one that you can buy at Best Buy (looks almost the same as the one that comes with the car) is the same messurements and if it will work/and what do I need to do to make the change? I think I need to buy a different face plate (the one that comes with my car is for the 6 CD changer), where can I get this face plate and how much approximately?
sorry for all the questions.
Hope someone can help!
Thanks
Roberto.

[IMG]local://upfiles/14018/F90E0699734444B1B1D9E9CF9AFE3974.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-28-2007, 02:29 PM
Default RE: GPS/Navi for XLS outlander (canada)

The best way to get the Navi is to get it as a factory installed option. This way you can save a lot because the dealer won't charge you for labor. The problem with 3rd party Navi is you can't get it to fit the usual dash cover that is used with the MMCS. So far I have not come across a 3rd party navi with dash install kit that fits in the 07 Outlander. In Japan, Mitsubishi is selling a 2 DIN dash cover, but it's not sold here in the US.

Old 08-28-2007, 02:45 PM

Thank you for your answer, rcpax. I appologise for my ignorance but what does MMCS stand for? and what is a "2 DIN"? I read several postings and I've seen this in some of the posting but I have no idea what it means or stand for?

Thanks
Roberto.

Old 08-28-2007, 03:09 PM

1. (MMCS) Mitsubishi Multi-Communication System, aka Navi, but I don't usually call it Navi because it's way more than a Navi. Calling it a Navi makes people think it's too expensive for a Navi. Well, it's not just a Navi but a multimedia console, and a central control for all the vehicle's electronic adjustments.

2. 2-DIN, aka double DIN, is just an acronym for the German Institute of standards, much like ISO. DIN defines the dimensions for a car header unit, basically used for car audio, to be 180 x 50 mm (single DIN), and the 2-DIN to be 180 x 100 mm. Depth is not standard though.

The Outlander dash mount is both 1 and 2 DIN capable. But the problem is finding the correct face plate.

Old 08-28-2007, 03:38 PM

Hi, I have just bought a new 07 Outlander here in UK. The Navi unit comes as standard and for what it is intended it is very good. However, I also have a Garmin Nuvii 660 portable unit. In my humble opinion the Garmin is a far better navigational aid and option than the fitted unit. I say this because one is able to download and update hundreds of points of interest and speed camera locations quite easily and freely from the internet.It can also be used as an MP3 player and also you can view pics from your digital camera memory cards etc. etc.;This is something that the Uk version of the standard units is not capable of.
The only advantage I find with the standard GPS unit in the Outlander is that the TMC traffic information works better than the one in the Garmin. I obviously can't comment on the situation in Canada, but if all you are after is a GPS unit I would say go for something like the Garmin or similar. If you buy a car specific unit I feel that you are buying it for the next owner of the car. At least with the Garmin you can take it from car to car or even use it as a pedestrian or a cycle.However, the 650 watt music system is awsome!
Incidentaly, I have just spent 3 weeks in Bc and Rockies, -- loved every minute of it and cant wait to return !!!!

Old 08-28-2007, 03:57 PM

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions, rcpax.
So, if I'm going to look for this dash cover for an after market GPS/Navi like the one I attached on my original post, I have to get the dimentions of the front plate of the GPS unit and try to get a dash cover that fits that dimention?
this are the dimentions for the pioneer unit from Best Buy "Product dimensions: 27.9 (W) x 24.4 (H) x 24.6 (D) cm" will this fit in the outlander?

Thanks
Roberto.