Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2010 Outlander XLS question re. audio - Canada

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 12:05 PM
Default 2010 Outlander XLS question re. audio - Canada

Hello all, I have just testdriven the XLS with Navigation and I really like it.

One question: I was under the impression that one could connect an mp3 player or USB flash drive to the audio system. This is apparently not the case, as the car I testdrove had only line inputs (audio and video).

I could use instead the 40 GB internal HDD - but how do I easily move my mp3-s to the HDD? Any suggestions? I have lots of MP3's (over 80 gb - and would like to fill the internal 40 gb quickly).

Also, I was disappointed with the sound quality (based on FM radio). FM radio sounds way better in my Ford Escape. Is CD / high bit rate sound quality much better on the Outlander? Thanks for any suggestions / input!

Old 01-12-2010, 02:04 PM

Did you check the centre console under the arm rest? It may not be available in Canada since we don't get the FUSE system I believe (which is apparently what gives it iPod control support).

FM is location dependant, so that is the major factor in sound quality. I find CD/MP3 to be much better than any FM station.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:48 PM

I checked - there is a spot under the armrest where the connector could be, but there is no connector.

So how can I move 40 gb of music to the music server hdd?

Old 01-12-2010, 03:13 PM

I believe when you put in a CD, it gets automatically ripped and compressed into the HDD. I'm guessing if you put in an mp3 CD, it gives you an option to copy it over. Since it supports DVDs, you could just get a DVD-RW and copy it over ~8 times once.
The USB system is standard on the US GT and XLS...no clue why they don't have it here on any trim.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:42 PM

Disappointing that so often we get less features than our US neighbours!

Are you sure that the unit will read data DVD's with MP3's? I have seen several in car systems that did not accept data DVD's, only video DVD's (and of course data CD's with MP3 on it)

Is it specified somewhere what the folder structure and mp3 format has to be on the disk? How many levels, how many folders / files max., what ID tag version, what bitrate mp3, can I mix mp3 and WMA files on the same disk etc. etc.? Are mp3-s converted (when they are compressed)? I use high bitrate VBR mp3's, and I would not want to have low bit-rate CBR instead...

Old 01-12-2010, 04:28 PM

Nope, just a guess, as I have neither sat in one nor owned one with NAV. Maybe whip up a DVD and test it at the dealer?
I'm guessing it can read any mp3 as long as its standard...my non-NAV reads all my mp3s (from mono 32kbps to 320 kbps) without any issues.