Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Hands free or hands up in NJ!!!!

Old 03-13-2008, 07:26 PM
Default Hands free or hands up in NJ!!!!

It started with New York, then came New Jersey, DC and Chicago... who's next?

In 2001 New York was the first state to pass a law prohibiting the use of a cell phone when driving - unless you are using a hands free device. In the period leading up to April 2004 the state had issued an amazing 269,230 tickets. At a $100 a ticket that's an impressive $27m! In the pursuit of safety (and no doubt a few extra dollars to bolster empty coffers), it was inevitable that more states would follow, and in July 2004 New Jersey and DC were next to adopt similar laws and then the city of Chicago followed in July 2005. Nonetheless, the rest of the world is ahead of The United States in this regard; 45 other developed nations already have bans in place.

Avoid the ticket!!!
Get your Hands Free module for your Outlander now!!
www.cherryhilltriplexparts.com.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:37 AM
Default RE: Hands free or hands up in NJ!!!!

I don't know if this post was meant to be a shameless plug for Mitsu accesories or not, but here's my .02.

Having been an LEO for several years and seeing how poorly people drive even without distractions in their cars makes, this law is an absolutely a necessity in my mind. I'm not a hypocrit and can admit to using my cell phone while driving as well, but with the availability of handfree systems and attachments for cell phones there's no reason not to have one. Granted these devices don't relieve anyone from completedistraction, but at least allow both hands to be free and don't cause the dreaded head lean (forcing the driver to ignore their mirrors and cause lane fades). Tickests aside, this a serious safety issue.

I'm sure i'll get flamed for this comment, but to be completelyhonest I think the use of phones while driving should be completely banned. When you've seen as many cars wrapped around trees/poles/other cars as i have andfind cell phones lying next to the occupants...i think you might change you thoughts on this. I'm sure other factors were present in these crashes as well, but cell phone use is no joke when driving.

Driving while talking on a cell phone can be more distracting and can increase your lossof concentration to a higher degree than beinga .07 BAC (under the legal limit).

I'll get off my soapbox now. Thanx for listening. Safe motoring y'all.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:03 AM

Sorry...Yes....I was pluggin' my accessories...but...if you have to have it then why not save some money and buy it from me!!
WWW.CHERRYHILLTRIPLEXPARTS.COMNo but really I agree with you. I didn't even own a mobile phone until recently and I canhonestly tell you that the handsfree system in my Lancer GTS is awesome. Its great when my wife calls i just turn the volume way down so I don't have to listen to her. LOL! It does make it easy to concentrate on the road and here in NJ its neccessary. I saw a young women the other day talking on her phone, applying make up, drinking coffee, reading the paper, and stuffin' her bra all while negotiating Rt130 thru constrution. Un-believable!!

Old 03-14-2008, 11:30 AM

I am no dummy on the internet, but I can't find what I am looking for the Outie on your site. I find it frustrating and usually give up.

Old 03-14-2008, 12:38 PM

I couldn't really find the Outlander section either. Seems not very intuitive to navigate the site.

As for driving while using a cell phone, I feel the same way as most... it is a big distraction, but sometimes you still do it. I like when cops on DUTY are using them. The law goes in effect in California I think this summer, or maybe next. I already have bluetooth on my Outtie, so I will be ok.

Old 03-14-2008, 01:34 PM

Cuffy-

I actually agree with you. I rarely, if ever, talk on the phone and drive in DFW area, since I'd be run over by trucks, women putting on make-up or people using their phones to text message (even scarier than driving - if you ask me). I think car manufacturers should make hands-free systmes MANDATORY and the instant you step into the car, your phone handshet shuts off - no ifs, ands or butts (lol) People already have enough to worry about while driving - why try to talk to someone and make the experience less enjoable for everyone else.

my two cents....

Old 03-14-2008, 03:32 PM

I may not be STATE law everywhere, but its been a law here for several years in CO. Could of been city/county but I thought it was state... anyways, it is hardly enforced. Pretty much if you are speeding AND talking on the phone you will get nailed for it. Otherwise they wont pull you over just for the cell phone...

LOVE the BT

Old 03-14-2008, 04:03 PM

Hey mitsjeff, what kind of deal do you make on stuff? I am from the Fort Dix area like 40 mins away. Back on topic, I was behind an old black lady driving in the wrong lane, on the cell phone, at a red light, and then after about a min she realized..... oh **** I'm in the wrong lane and moved over. Which involved backing up in the intersection a few times and moving around. I sat at a stop sign for CVS about 50 feet away and watched her drive by me and pull up to the light. This is one reason I can think of making talking on the phone illegal.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:20 AM

I saw a guy driving down my street over the weekend, he had his left arm fully extended out the window with his cell phone in his hand. I noticed that he kept looking at the phone while driving, he must have been making a video! [sm=badidea.gif]

Old 03-17-2008, 02:39 PM

ORIGINAL: chenarm

I saw a guy driving down my street over the weekend, he had his left arm fully extended out the window with his cell phone in his hand. I noticed that he kept looking at the phone while driving, he must have been making a video! [sm=badidea.gif]
He might have been trying to get a better signal...ha-ha[8D]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hands free or hands up in NJ!!!!