Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Hard cornering

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 10:04 PM
Default Hard cornering

I am not sure how many of you push your outlander to its limits in the turns but i try to. When i had my evo i would push it as hard as i could go in the twisties. It was so much fun and got the blood pumping. Just tonight i took the outlader out to the back roads and was pushing it decently hard through sharp narrow turns and it handles so well. Ive heard so many stories about how the tires suck but i think there awesome (not as good as the evo's stock tires but good) ....im so suprised of the handling way more than i could ask for. I wish there were some other outlanders here close in pa to have some meets or just drive.....Ive seen one guy who comes to out mitsu meets in york whos pretty cool who has a blue SE. Well lets here some stories about you guys pushing the outtie to the limits or anything else...

Old 07-09-2006, 10:57 PM
Default RE: Hard cornering

I live about 5 minutes from a road full of hills and turns that cuts through a mountainside and canyon, it's only about 10 miles long, but it's nonstop turns. I used to drive that road HARD and I always pulled out of the turns. I think you give the tires credit where the AWD deserves it though...the stock Geolanders by Yokohama were terrible, I got mine with 14K miles on them. They were pretty good on dry pavement, but if you get any water on it I could spin the wheels around corners, whereas now with 20 more HP I cannot. But, the tires I got are wider than my stock Yokies were...odd since they're the same size. Anyway, I raced through the road following a Toyota 4 Runner, probably mid 90's and I was surprised how well he could take the turns too. There is absolutely no place to pass on this road, so it was basically me just pushing him to his and his vehicles limit. The car tended to understeer a bit when I prefer oversteer, it felt like it plowed into the turns a bit, but overall for what the car is, it did great. I love being able to hit the throttle hard out of the turns and I am able to with this car.( mind you, this is a 40-50MPH approach into a hairpin turn...not exaggerating the turn either...my passenger rear wheel lifted off the ground.
BTW, is yours AWD or FWD?

Old 07-09-2006, 11:02 PM

I have the awd version....
maybe the tired arent as good as i thought then i was doing this in dry pavement...ill have to try it when its wet out...

Old 07-09-2006, 11:04 PM

I would be cautious, these tires are notorious for hydroplaning. Fortunately I got a flat a while back and was able to replace the whole set. I hydroplaned through a puddle on an otherwise dry road and decided that was enough, they needed to go.

Old 07-09-2006, 11:06 PM

yeah hydroplaning isnt a good think i definitely will be careful in the rain with these tires then.... i know back when i first got the outlander it rained really bad around here and when i was on the highway going at a decent speed i would hit water spots and it didnt feel sturdy but it didnt do anything to crazy....

Old 07-10-2006, 07:49 PM

And that was with brand new tires...get a few thousand miles on them and imagine the difference

Old 07-10-2006, 10:12 PM

well, i see i'm not the only one maintaining speed on the curves, but the o/e dunlop tires on my outlander scare me....here in nj, the last exit ramp from rt 440 east on the jersey side of the outerbridge crossing to staten island, ny is my latest handling 'guage;' my old expo can take the double-s twistie at least 5, and maybe 10 mph faster w/ less roll stiffness and 70-series a/s tires; but the outlander just 'feels' better. (maybe i've expected too much and still have to get used to its higher centre of gravity) consequently i'm looking to upgrade the tires to kumho, sumitomo, or yokohama, or anything else in the less than $100 range w/ an AA wet utqg rating, so i don't have to fake not having a white-knuckle panic. now i'm back to that stiffer rear sway-bar again....
last spring i had an evo for a weekend and took it down that same ramp pushing to 70 and almost beyond until i met 'slow-moving traffic' and had to fall in line....but even at just that speed, man, there's no car like it for the money....they can keep their 60-grand bmw, lexus, mercedes, whatever....

Old 07-10-2006, 10:58 PM

The EVO is just an awesome purpose built car...I wish Mitsubishi would show such enthusiasm with the rest of it's lineup instead of borrowing for Dodge. And damn them for not sending the Turbo Outlander or Airtrek to the US.

Old 07-10-2006, 11:34 PM

Yeah the evo was awesome....and i miss it sometimes...but if mitsu got smart and brought the turbo outlander here...i would have to say for sure i would own it over the evo..

Old 07-11-2006, 09:19 PM

especially for those of us with practicality issues, which is why i didn't opt for the evo; well, that and price...almost. my mrs informed me that since i only share ethnicity with the 'transporter,' i didn't need a car like the evo....i'm getting over it, but i still cry from time to time in my ale....

Quick Reply: Hard cornering