Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

hardly any ATF on dipstick

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 04:43 PM
Default hardly any ATF on dipstick

Hey there,

Just checked my ATF level (while warmed up, in park,etc..). I pull out the dipstick and I can barely see any on it. I try it again, and there is just a BIT of fluid that I can see WELL below the Cold line!?!? I am hoping it is difficult to read the level of this fluid. Is there a trick to it? If there is barely enough ATF fluid to reach the dipstick, wouldn`t I be getting some weird symptoms?

Please advise.

Thanks!

Old 06-25-2013, 06:11 AM

bump?

I am seeing the dealership on an unrelated matter (replacing clock spring in two days), so I want to bring this to their attention if there is a problem.

I just find it VERY hard to read the level of ATF. All I see is a bit of liquid WAY below the cold mark. (it is nice and red).

Is there a trick to reading this or am I driving around with much less ATF than I should. The dealership suposedly drained and filled it.

I can post a pic later when I get home.

Thoughts in the meantime?
Thanks again

Old 06-25-2013, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by newoutlanderfan
bump?

I am seeing the dealership on an unrelated matter (replacing clock spring in two days), so I want to bring this to their attention if there is a problem.

I just find it VERY hard to read the level of ATF. All I see is a bit of liquid WAY below the cold mark. (it is nice and red).

Is there a trick to reading this or am I driving around with much less ATF than I should. The dealership suposedly drained and filled it.

I can post a pic later when I get home.

Thoughts in the meantime?
Thanks again
If you have the LS's automatic transaxle, have a look at the stickied thread entitled "Automatic transaxle fluid change procedure". If your dipstick looks like the one illustrated at the end of that procedure, from your description of the situation, I think there is a very good possibility that your fluid is low.

You say "the dealership suposedly drained and filled it." Did that happen recently? If it did, you are right to take the vehicle back there and have them verify that the level is, or is not, within specification. Hopefully they'll do the check with you present as they do it. Then you'll know what's what. If it's low, make damned sure that their observation is recorded "for the record" on their computerized history of your vehicle, as well as some kind of document for your records at home.

Please report back what happens at the dealer.

Good luck.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:57 AM

I find it difficult to read myself. But if you can see the red fluid near the C mark when it's hot then it's probably low.

Keep the dipstick pointed down instead of bringing it horizontal for the reading. Wipe down the dipstick before reading and then insert it fully. Use some paper towel slid from the handle down to the tip to detect when you get into the oil level if you can't see it.

I always seat the dipstick gasket when checking the level - push it firmly all the way in. I don't see any wording in the instructions so I assume it should be seated.

Ask your dealer to check your transmission oil level and see what they say.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by nesser
I find it difficult to read myself. But if you can see the red fluid near the C mark when it's hot then it's probably low.

Keep the dipstick pointed down instead of bringing it horizontal for the reading. Wipe down the dipstick before reading and then insert it fully. Use some paper towel slid from the handle down to the tip to detect when you get into the oil level if you can't see it.

I always seat the dipstick gasket when checking the level - push it firmly all the way in. I don't see any wording in the instructions so I assume it should be seated.

Ask your dealer to check your transmission oil level and see what they say.
That's how I check it. The problem is I can only really see red liquid at the VERY TIP of the dipstick (FAR below the C mark). Like I said, it is hard to read - maybe it is only a thin film that I should be looking for.

Can I take out the dipstick and then use a paper towel to see if there is actually fluid up where it should be (around the H mark)? I know this may sound ridiculous but I was shocked when I checked the dipstick.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Outlaander
If you have the LS's automatic transaxle, have a look at the stickied thread entitled "Automatic transaxle fluid change procedure". If your dipstick looks like the one illustrated at the end of that procedure, from your description of the situation, I think there is a very good possibility that your fluid is low.

You say "the dealership suposedly drained and filled it." Did that happen recently? If it did, you are right to take the vehicle back there and have them verify that the level is, or is not, within specification. Hopefully they'll do the check with you present as they do it. Then you'll know what's what. If it's low, make damned sure that their observation is recorded "for the record" on their computerized history of your vehicle, as well as some kind of document for your records at home.

Please report back what happens at the dealer.

Good luck.
That was done 12,000KM ago under the 96,000KM service. Maybe I'm just seeing the pooling effect of the fluid at the bottom of the dipstick and that it really is at the normal level, I am just having a hard time seeing it??? Hopefully? Yes, the dipstick looks like that one in the other post.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:41 AM

This is what I see.....thoughts? Should I see what is at the very bottom all the way up to the H when it is warmed up?

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails hardly any ATF on dipstick-20130625_130735_resized_1-2-.jpg  
Old 06-25-2013, 01:00 PM

That was done 12,000KM ago under the 96,000KM service. Maybe I'm just seeing the pooling effect of the fluid at the bottom of the dipstick and that it really is at the normal level, I am just having a hard time seeing it??? Hopefully? Yes, the dipstick looks like that one in the other post.
If I were you, here's what I'd do. First, set up a shop-light so that you can vary the angle of the stick underneath it as you observe the stick from above the light after removal. Then remove the stick and make sure that the stick is absolutely dry before re-insertion. Use dish soap and water to wash all the oil off, if you have to, then dry it completely before insertion. Get a good look at what a dry stick actually looks like under the light.

Insert the stick into the tranny, then remove the stick, trying not to touch the stick on the sides of the tube/hole during removal. Examine the stick under the light and, again, vary the angle of the stick to try to see exactly where the fluid level meets the dry portion of the stick. If at this point you still see red fluid only at the lower tip and the rest of the stick is still dry, it's time to believe your eyes. The fluid is low.

I know that this a ridiculous question, but has any transmission fluid dripped onto whatever surface you park your vehicle over? If my vehicle had a low tranmission fluid level, the floor is the very first thing I'd be looking at. If the surface is dry, one plus one equals they probably didn't fill the tranny properly after draining. If it's wet, you've probably got a slow leak.

(FWIW, our vehicle is at 88,000 km and at 96,000 or sooner we'll be having the fluid replaced as described in that stickied procedure -- that is, a complete fluid replacement.

Normally I'd do this bone-simple job mysef, but because we want to maintain the power train warranty beyond any question of doubt, a stealership will be doing this job.

On the rare occasions I've had any mechanical work done to a vehicle at a dealer or other repair place, I've always checked to confirm that the work has actually been done and this case will be no different, so here's what I'm going to do to confirm that the job has actually been done.

When I make the appointment for that work, I will request that when the job is complete, that the person who performed the work confirm the proper fluid level by showing me the level on the stick, either inside the shop or out in the parking lot. If that particular stealership is unwilling to fulfill my request, I'll find one that will. After all, this is not a time-consuming, unrealistic request.

On the day of the appointment, before going to the dealership, I will check the level and color of the fluid several times to get a good sample on a white cloth or paper towel and put that piece in a zip-lock baggie and take the baggie to the dealership with me.

When the job is complete and I am shown the proper level on the dipstick, I'll re-insert the stick several times to get a good sample on a white cloth or paper towel and compare the color of the "new" fluid to that of the old fluid. The new, fresh fluid should look more like the new fluid in its original container than than the old fluid that has 96,000 kms on it. If it does not, I'll be discussing my observations, cloths in hand, with the service manager.)

Old 06-25-2013, 01:02 PM

This is what I see.....thoughts? Should I see what is at the very bottom all the way up to the H when it is warmed up?

Thanks
IMO, yes, or at least just below it.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Outlaander
If I were you, here's what I'd do. First, set up a shop-light so that you can vary the angle of the stick underneath it as you observe the stick from above the light after removal. Then remove the stick and make sure that the stick is absolutely dry before re-insertion. Use dish soap and water to wash all the oil off, if you have to, then dry it completely before insertion. Get a good look at what a dry stick actually looks like under the light.

Insert the stick into the tranny, then remove the stick, trying not to touch the stick on the sides of the tube/hole during removal. Examine the stick under the light and, again, vary the angle of the stick to try to see exactly where the fluid level meets the dry portion of the stick. If at this point you still see red fluid only at the lower tip and the rest of the stick is still dry, it's time to believe your eyes. The fluid is low.

I know that this a ridiculous question, but has any transmission fluid dripped onto whatever surface you park your vehicle over? If my vehicle had a low tranmission fluid level, the floor is the very first thing I'd be looking at. If the surface is dry, one plus one equals they probably didn't fill the tranny properly after draining. If it's wet, you've probably got a slow leak.

(FWIW, our vehicle is at 88,000 km and at 96,000 or sooner we'll be having the fluid replaced as described in that stickied procedure -- that is, a complete fluid replacement.

Normally I'd do this bone-simple job mysef, but because we want to maintain the power train warranty beyond any question of doubt, a stealership will be doing this job.

On the rare occasions I've had any mechanical work done to a vehicle at a dealer or other repair place, I've always checked to confirm that the work has actually been done and this case will be no different, so here's what I'm going to do to confirm that the job has actually been done.

When I make the appointment for that work, I will request that when the job is complete, that the person who performed the work confirm the proper fluid level by showing me the level on the stick, either inside the shop or out in the parking lot. If that particular stealership is unwilling to fulfill my request, I'll find one that will. After all, this is not a time-consuming, unrealistic request.

On the day of the appointment, before going to the dealership, I will check the level and color of the fluid several times to get a good sample on a white cloth or paper towel and put that piece in a zip-lock baggie and take the baggie to the dealership with me.

When the job is complete and I am shown the proper level on the dipstick, I'll re-insert the stick several times to get a good sample on a white cloth or paper towel and compare the color of the "new" fluid to that of the old fluid. The new, fresh fluid should look more like the new fluid in its original container than than the old fluid that has 96,000 kms on it. If it does not, I'll be discussing my observations, cloths in hand, with the service manager.)

THere is no leak. I've never seen anything on the driveway.
Also, At least at least at mydealership, they don't do a complete flush at the 96,000km. I think they quoted me an obscene amount for that.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the info
Dave

Quick Reply: hardly any ATF on dipstick