Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Harsh suspension - new Outlander XLS 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 01:09 AM
Default Harsh suspension - new Outlander XLS 4WD

I've had my new 2007 Outlander XLS 4WD for about 24 hours. I test drove an LS model before deciding on the purchase, and took the XLS I bought on a 15 mile test drive just before signing the paperwork.

But on the way home from the dealer, when driving over some back roads with some imperfections, I drove over some repaired concrete road areas and when driving over the raised areas of repair, there seemed to be almost no shock absorption at all! It was very, VERY jarring, and very unexpected. Somehow, my 15 mile test drive early just didn't go over any imperfections of this type, and I never noticed an issue in the LS model I test drove the previous week.

I have recently owned a Toyota Highlander and Toyota Matrix and have test driven a Lexus RX350. I know those are "cushy feel" suspensions. But I also have test driven the Acura RDX, Maxda CX-7, and the Outlander and know those have a "sport suspension", are "more taut" and "more firm", and therefore going over imperfections will be clearly more noticed and more jarring.

But this was just TOO severe -- it was clearly far beyond anything I experienced in the Acura RDX test drive and Mazda CX-7 test drives which went over some imperfect roads.

And yes -- the tire pressure was checked and is 30 psi for all four tires.

Has anyone found the new Outlander to have a bit too harsh of a suspension? Is there anything that can be done to soften it slightly?

Bud H

Old 04-08-2007, 02:01 AM
Default RE: Harsh suspension - new Outlander XLS 4WD

Shouldn't be that bad, who checked the tire pressure?

Old 04-08-2007, 02:11 AM

I checked the pressure in all four tires myself earlier today.

Bud H

Old 04-08-2007, 02:40 AM

I live in NJ and our roads absolutly suck ***. We have roads that form huge pot holes every 2 weeks and they just re patch them again and again and again. I drive these roads everyday and think it takes the bumpy filled in roads excellent. I also drive a ford e350 van and a ford f250 which drive link tanks. Compared to them to it drives like a 100,000$ lexus. For the sporty stiff suspension I love it though. I havent looked at my tire pressure in about 2 months since I bought it but isnt it higher than 30psi? That seems low for a suv.

Old 04-08-2007, 02:57 AM

ORIGINAL: budh
But this was just TOO severe -- it was clearly far beyond anything I experienced in the Acura RDX test drive and Mazda CX-7 test drives which went over some imperfect roads.

And yes -- the tire pressure was checked and is 30 psi for all four tires.

Has anyone found the new Outlander to have a bit too harsh of a suspension? Is there anything that can be done to soften it slightly?

Bud H
I agree with you. I just chalk it up to poor, low speed, shock valving. The ride did improve after setting the tires to 32psi, but it can be unsettling. There is really nothing you can do about it.

Old 04-08-2007, 03:17 AM

I wonder if there is anything that can be adjusted for a slightly softer ride in the Outlander suspension described below........

Suspension [ul][*]Independent MacPherson Strut Front Suspension With Coil Springs, Shock Absorbers and Sport Ride Type[*]Independent Multi-Link Rear Suspension With Coil Springs, Shock Absorbers and Sport Ride Type[*]20-mm Rear Stabilizer Bar [/ul]

Old 04-08-2007, 03:20 AM

If your roads are that bad the easiest solution is to get some 16" wheels and tires.

Nobody makes a softer suspension for 07 Outlanders.

Old 04-08-2007, 06:44 AM
JMC

I had a very similar feel for about 2 weeks....then she started to really loosen up. Maybe give it some time?

Old 04-08-2007, 09:38 AM

The first generation Outlanders also have stiff suspension that appears to soften over time, and the specifications read similar to the 07 Outlander...
Small road imperfections are still felt quite good after 9k kilometers, but it does really perform well on larger bumps or holes. Probably the bad OEM yokohama tires on the 1st gen. worsten the road feeling aswell.
If you'd get a set a new tires, what would you buy? myself I'd probably choose Pirelli Scorpion STR.. (good experiences with these regular scorpions on a honda CRV)

Old 04-08-2007, 11:38 AM

I also just purchsed an Outlander XLS last Monday. I felt that the suspension was a bit stiff even for a sport SUV and noticed that over larger expansion joints in the road that it felt a bit harsh, and the sound was very noticable. I did change the tires yesterday to a Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza (V Rated) in the 235/55-R18 size. This change has helped with both issues. The road noise from the imperfections in the road are now greatly muted, and the "rough" feeling over the expansion joints and cracks in the roadway are also reduced. It does not create a LEXUS type of ride, and I would not expect that from a SPORT type suspension setup, but it did reduce the general overall harshness.

Quick Reply: Harsh suspension - new Outlander XLS 4WD