Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Has anyone changed the foglights?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 09:07 PM
Default Has anyone changed the foglights?

I've got a 2010 SE.

Anyway, I bought HIDs for the headlights and for the fogs. I replaced the headlights with no problem, but I'm having trouble replacing the fogs. More specificly, the driver side. There's like a box covering access to it.

Has anyone switched them out before, and is there anyway to get easier access to them?

Thanks!

Old 09-30-2010, 09:38 AM

It pays to read your owner manuals. -_-

"Twist the foglight bezel counter-clockwise and unscrew the 3 screws and the assembly will come out."

Old 09-30-2010, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by JaysFreaky
I've got a 2010 SE.

Anyway, I bought HIDs for the headlights and for the fogs. I replaced the headlights with no problem, but I'm having trouble replacing the fogs. More specificly, the driver side. There's like a box covering access to it.

Has anyone switched them out before, and is there anyway to get easier access to them?

Thanks!
which HIDs did you get for fogs? I have drls that I want to replace, most likely do it at the dealership. Any recommendations?

Old 09-30-2010, 07:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JaysFreaky
I've got a 2010 SE.

Thanks!
It is a knuckle scraping pain in the a$$ to remove the bulb on the driver side. The air box is fairly easy to move out of the way to access the bulb. its just a pain to get a big hand and arm in there to remove it.
I am not sure if you are changing the LIGHT BULBS or the whole light fixture.

Last edited by RAMON-; 09-30-2010 at 07:11 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by klas
which HIDs did you get for fogs? I have drls that I want to replace, most likely do it at the dealership. Any recommendations?
If you have the DRLs changed to HIDs they will be on every time the ignition is on. That will take a lot of life out of those expensive bulbs. You can have a New stalk that controls the fog light output. Then you will need the computer programmed to control the new setup. Having the dealer do all of this plus the price of parts is a lot of cash.

What I did to my outie was change the 27 watt DRL bulbs to 54 smd LED bulbs. Then I purchased a Mitsubishi switch to control the lights and built a relay to turn them on and off. The LED bulbs I installed are comparable to 55 watt halogen fog light bulbs. Looks and works good. Much,much more affordable.

Attached Thumbnails Has anyone changed the foglights?-4-leds-jpeg.jpg  
Old 10-01-2010, 08:11 AM

I went with 55w 9006 bulbs for the headlights (low beams) and 35w H11 for the fogs. Both are at 5000k.

What I did to eliminate the DRLs was buy Jrox's relay harness (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=180515802509) and used that to install my headlights. The fogs are on a separate system, so the DRLs don't affect them at all. I have full functionality of both pairs of lights.

It's an extremely easy upgrade, as long as you know how to remove those fog light assemblies. haha I found it a little hard to remove the silver bezels, so for the driver side, I stuck my hand in between the air duct under the fog and helped move the clip counter-clockwise while I turned in the front. Same thing applied to the passenger side, only there wasn't an airduct, so I just went from the top through the engine bay. It should seriously only take you an hour at most.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by RAMON-
If you have the DRLs changed to HIDs they will be on every time the ignition is on. That will take a lot of life out of those expensive bulbs. You can have a New stalk that controls the fog light output. Then you will need the computer programmed to control the new setup. Having the dealer do all of this plus the price of parts is a lot of cash.

What I did to my outie was change the 27 watt DRL bulbs to 54 smd LED bulbs. Then I purchased a Mitsubishi switch to control the lights and built a relay to turn them on and off. The LED bulbs I installed are comparable to 55 watt halogen fog light bulbs. Looks and works good. Much,much more affordable.
I love this idea since i have halogens as well...

What items do we need? And where did you get your SMD;s from?

Old 10-03-2010, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by RAMON-

I've tried LEDs to replace DRL bulbs and they weren't bright enough. There are 7 watt 1156 bulbs @ VLEDs that are very good in terms of brightness, but not recommended as DRLs as they get too hot.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by klas
I've tried LEDs to replace DRL bulbs and they weren't bright enough. There are 7 watt 1156 bulbs @ VLEDs that are very good in terms of brightness, but not recommended as DRLs as they get too hot.
My LED bulbs run quite Cool....Much much cooler than any incandescent bulb.
How many LED chips were on your bulb? Which type of LED chips were on your bulb?

What is lumen of your LED products?
Each individual LED = 04 Lumen
Each individual 1210 LED = 07 Lumen
Each individual flux LED = 08 Lumen
Each individual 5050 LED = 20 Lumen
40 LUMEN = 1W

Your info might help others decide also.

Last edited by RAMON-; 10-03-2010 at 06:46 AM.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:58 PM

I have OEM HIDs and what I did is I bought the foglight kit. So instead of having the 1156 bulb/housing for the DRL I now have the H11/housing in there. The kit comes with the relay, wiring and switch for the foglights. Now I have a really bright DRL (since now it uses H11 bulbs instead of the 1156) and I can turn it on when the headlights are on.

I know that if you don't have OEM HIDs and you installed an aftermarket kit the aftermarket HID sometimes flicker because of the DRL functionality of the headlights. Would this be the case if I install HIDs on these foglights? I can say that the light brightness when the fogs functions as DRL is as bright when I turn it on as foglights together with the headlights.

Now my question is would anyone know if the the supplied current when the DRLs are on is the same when I'm using it as fogs?

Quick Reply: Has anyone changed the foglights?