Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Has anyone used Redline D4 ATF in their Outlander?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 10:14 PM
Default Has anyone used Redline D4 ATF in their Outlander?

I just bought a 2007 LS 4WD with 44,500 miles and the first thing I want to do is change the auto transmission fluid. I have searched the forum for information and see the recommendation is to use DIA Queen J2 fluid. I am curious to know if Redline D4 ATF can be substituted. I have been using it in my BMWs for a decade with very good results and BMW tells its owners they have to use the OEM fluids. I learned about Redline synthetic fluids on Bimmerforums from members that had been using it for years.

I am going to contact Redline tomorrow but I am curious to know if there is anyone here that already has experience using it in an Outlander with the 6 speed automatic transmission.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:54 AM

I would suggest going to the Mitsu dealer and getting the OEM tranny fluid. I need to change my fluid in my Montero Sport, but most peeps here recommend the OEM ATF. Here in Hawaii, it is 8.50 per qt, but worth it, since I rather dish out 70.oo worth for ATF rather than 1000.oo+ for a tranny rebuild. I will do the same with my Outlander later on. Also, using non OEM fluid might negate any power train warranties.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Obakemono
I would suggest going to the Mitsu dealer and getting the OEM tranny fluid. I need to change my fluid in my Montero Sport, but most peeps here recommend the OEM ATF. Here in Hawaii, it is 8.50 per qt, but worth it, since I rather dish out 70.oo worth for ATF rather than 1000.oo+ for a tranny rebuild. I will do the same with my Outlander later on. Also, using non OEM fluid might negate any power train warranties.
I understand the logic of your suggestion but I do want to find out about this. For the majority of the cars on the road, the Redline D4 ATF is far superior to the OEM fluid. It is no cheaper than the Dia Queen J2. I just want to find out if it is a good substitute. I have used it in BMW auto boxes that used proprietary synthetic fluids from the factory and it has worked well for hundreds of thousands of miles. It has better properties at high temperature than the OEM BMW fluids. I have not been able to find any technical data describing why the J2 ATF is so special. For now, I will use the OEM J2 ATF.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:54 PM

Well, I bought the J2 fluid today at my local Mitsubishi dealer. $9.99 a liter. The parts counter guy told me that they typically only drain 3 liters at the 30,000 mile service and put 3 liters of fresh fluid in. I bought 6 liters anyway. I am going to follow the procedure in the manual.

I also called Redline to ask about their knowledge of substituting one of their synthetic fluids for Dia Queen J2. Their tech support rep was not familiar with J2 and did not know how it differed from Mitsubishi spec III. He told me that Redine D4 ATF is fully compatible with Mitsu transmissions that call for the spec II and/or spec III ATF. He is going to look into what Dia Queen J2 is and whether Redline is a viable substitute.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:58 PM

i just changed my tranny fluid a couple of months ago.

before doing so , i did a lot of research on the mitsu J2.

i did NOT want to use the J2....but.............

....i could not find any fluid that would say 100% that it was a substitute for J2.

obviously , i used the 8 quarts of mitsu J2.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:48 PM

Very often transmissions are very sensitive to the fluid, probably wouldn't want to tinker with alternatives.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by ruski
Very often transmissions are very sensitive to the fluid, probably wouldn't want to tinker with alternatives.
you are right on with that statement.

the J2 is the thinnest / slickest tranny fluid i have ever felt.