Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2020, 07:33 PM
Default Headlights

Does anyone have issues with their headlights , poor lighting , is their a alternative to a hid led bright white to see further down the road because these lights are horrible I have a 2019 Mitsubishi outlander se thx

Old 04-26-2020, 11:42 PM

I just bought a used one myself. And thought exactly the same thing. Wondering if I want to invest in those LED kits on amazon

Old 04-27-2020, 12:01 AM
Default Headlamps

Originally Posted by Kornfrk2727
I just bought a used one myself. And thought exactly the same thing. Wondering if I want to invest in those LED kits on amazon
I bought my outlander brand new and the dealer told me they come that way , and for me to buy the ones I want online for the specific brightness, so I dont know

Old 04-27-2020, 12:00 PM

Before investing in any aftermarket alternative lighting option I would suggest that one should look at whether the improvement would be significant. For this, please check out IIHS headlight testing results:IIHS headlight test (Mitsubishi Outlander)
Please do not just rely on the verbal comments but open up the charts for the different trims in different tabs and compare the results yourself.
For the Outlander Sport the from halogen to HID improvement was marginal at best. Also, whiter light (higher color temperature) does not necessarily results in better visibility. If interested about details, please read this thread for vision vs color temperature and for the OS headlight test comparison. Some of the links within may not work by now but you may perform your own search to find the relevant information at IIHS.

Old 04-27-2020, 04:20 PM
Default Headlamps

Originally Posted by AWCAWD
Before investing in any aftermarket alternative lighting option I would suggest that one should look at whether the improvement would be significant. For this, please check out IIHS headlight testing results:IIHS headlight test (Mitsubishi Outlander)
Please do not just rely on the verbal comments but open up the charts for the different trims in different tabs and compare the results yourself.
For the Outlander Sport the from halogen to HID improvement was marginal at best. Also, whiter light (higher color temperature) does not necessarily results in better visibility. If interested about details, please read this thread for vision vs color temperature and for the OS headlight test comparison. Some of the links within may not work by now but you may perform your own search to find the relevant information at IIHS.
so why did Mitsubishi produce poor lighting on the road for the outlander , according to my dealership they told me to seek this led online ,aftermarket since they do not sell it , saying also it would work great I found out

Old 04-27-2020, 07:00 PM

You have to ask the manufacturers as it is not just Mitsubishi. As per IIHS ratings very few cars (even among the more expensive ones) have good enough headlights. It is really worth thoroughly compare those IIHS published charts and come to your own conclusion. The general public things if something is LED or HID it must be far better than halogen. The proof of the pudding is to eat it, so only the tests are reliable. Check whether the GT model has much better test results than the SE. If not, the aftermarket will likely provide even less benefits. Keep also in mind that blinding the incoming traffic with glare is also dangerous. If you put LEDs or HIDs to a headlight housing that was not designed for it, you may easily introduce glare and your partners in traffic will not appreciate it. In fact many ratings are lowered by IIHS due to extensive glare. As to whether taking the dealership's opinion/recommendation as fact I have no comment.

Old 04-28-2020, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by AWCAWD
You have to ask the manufacturers as it is not just Mitsubishi. As per IIHS ratings very few cars (even among the more expensive ones) have good enough headlights. It is really worth thoroughly compare those IIHS published charts and come to your own conclusion. The general public things if something is LED or HID it must be far better than halogen. The proof of the pudding is to eat it, so only the tests are reliable. Check whether the GT model has much better test results than the SE. If not, the aftermarket will likely provide even less benefits. Keep also in mind that blinding the incoming traffic with glare is also dangerous. If you put LEDs or HIDs to a headlight housing that was not designed for it, you may easily introduce glare and your partners in traffic will not appreciate it. In fact many ratings are lowered by IIHS due to extensive glare. As to whether taking the dealership's opinion/recommendation as fact I have no comment.
Are you a expert for Mitsubishi? On lighting or just what you hear and see online just wondering if you do eat your pudding to taste it before you consume it lol , by the way I have already had the lights put in and they work awesome, lighting has no glare on oncoming traffic etc. But thanks for the dime enthusiast enough said.

Old 04-28-2020, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Doug Edwards
Are you a expert for Mitsubishi? On lighting or just what you hear and see online just wondering if you do eat your pudding to taste it before you consume it lol , by the way I have already had the lights put in and they work awesome, lighting has no glare on oncoming traffic etc. But thanks for the dime enthusiast enough said.
Sir,
I did not ask you to rely on any word I wrote. In response to your question I was simply referring you to a credible source (IIHS), where you can get answers to your question. You do not have to attack me (or anyone in this forum) for trying to help you. If you are satisfied with your mod, good for you.