Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

LED Headlights Vs HID Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 05:16 AM
Lightbulb LED Headlights Vs HID Headlights

I've been hearing a lot of people recommending LED headlight systems over HID headlight systems, which are the better of the two? Which produce more light? Which will last longer?

Old 02-22-2016, 09:23 AM

LED lights are more common these days, but keep in mind that retrofitting may not always give you the best results.

Projectors are easier to work with, but older 2007-2009 outlanders have multireflector housings, so things will be different.

Keep in mind that your eyes dialate to the hottest spot in your beam, so if your lights throw too much into one spot, your eyes will dialate to match that bright spot, then everyone surrounding it will look darker. So if you look around at the trees to the side of the road, they'll be way darker. You want a system that spreads as evenly as possible.

The best headlights available are laser headlights like on some BMW vehicles.

Old 04-27-2020, 12:05 AM
Default Hid headlights

Originally Posted by gggplaya
LED lights are more common these days, but keep in mind that retrofitting may not always give you the best results.

Projectors are easier to work with, but older 2007-2009 outlanders have multireflector housings, so things will be different.

Keep in mind that your eyes dialate to the hottest spot in your beam, so if your lights throw too much into one spot, your eyes will dialate to match that bright spot, then everyone surrounding it will look darker. So if you look around at the trees to the side of the road, they'll be way darker. You want a system that spreads as evenly as possible.

The best headlights available are laser headlights like on some BMW vehicles.
can you buy a hid headlight for a brighter white light for my 2019 Outlander se because I have the small glass goggle type for my lenses?

Old 04-27-2020, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Doug Edwards
can you buy a hid headlight for a brighter white light for my 2019 Outlander se because I have the small glass goggle type for my lenses?
It's been 4 years since that post, LED headlights have gotten much better. They're easier to install than HID and spread more evenly now depending on the bulb you buy.

See this reference for projector housings: https://www.bulbfacts.com/led-kits/c...rojectors.html