Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Hello, getting ready to buy struts shocks and tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 11:20 PM
Default Hello, getting ready to buy struts shocks and tires

Hello,

I just joined the forum and am looking forward to sharing with the rest of you. I am a middle aged father of two that still is very enthusiastic about the vehicles I drive. I am into DIY maintenance and repairs and also very good with mobile electronics installs and modifications. My other rides are a 1992 Celica GT4, 1997 BMW 328iC, and 1995 BMW 525iT. All of them have between 150K and 200K miles and I do my best to keep them in good running condition. My cars get used hard and I tend to keep the good ones a long time.

I just put a down payment on a 2007 LS with 44,500 miles and I noticed it felt 'loose' during the test drive. It has a new set of 16" Geolander tires on OEM 16" wheels. I also test drove an XLS with the 18" wheels and sport tuned suspension. The XLS handled much better but I don't know if it was because it had lower miles or if the suspension is really that much better. Both the LS and XLS had new tires. Does anyone know if the sport tuned suspension is actually different from the springs, shocks and struts that come on the LS?

Does anyone here have experience with KYB GR2 aftermarket shocks and struts? They are the only brand I can find at Tire Rack and Shox dot com. The LS I just bought is definitely in need of new dampers and I don't know whether to go for OEM parts or if the GR2's will be a better choice. I like a firm controlled ride but I don't like to shake my fillings loose on bumpy roads. I have Bilstein Heavy Duty suspension on my BMWs if that tells you anything. I have heard BMW owners complain that the KYB GR2 suspension is too stiff on the BMW forums. The problem is that I don't know how to mesure their opinion against my own favorable experience with Bilstein dampers.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:11 AM

Sport tuned suspension? I've never heard of that on a stock Outlander.
There is absolutely no difference in the suspension that would affect the handling. The only thing I am aware of that is different between an XLS suspension vs the others is the presence of a height sensor for the auto leveling HID lights.
It is the tires and wheels that probably made it felt better...either that or somebody beat the crap out of the car.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:54 AM

The sales literature and road tests for the USA models mention 'sport tuned suspension' on the XLS and do not mention it on the LS. I am trying to figure out if it is just marketing BS or if there is really a difference. I think I just answered my own question. I found an online parts vendor for OEM parts and there is only one listing for struts and springs for V6 equipped Outlanders. No difference between LS and XLS. Some manufacturers would have different spring rates and damping for an 18" wheel option because of the added unsprung weight.

The LS I drove definitely has led a harder life than the XLS I drove but it was also $5000 cheaper. I can buy shocks, struts, bigger wheels and tires and still pay less than the XLS. The LS has been upgraded with leather seats, sunroof, Rockford stereo, and rear seat DVD so it is competitive with the XLS in terms of features. I just need to figure out what is the best option in terms of what shocks and struts to buy for it. It appears that the only two options are OEM or KYB GR2.

Last edited by mda185; 04-25-2010 at 12:37 PM.