Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Add aftermarket amplifier to stock audio head unit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 01:43 PM
Question Add aftermarket amplifier to stock audio head unit?

Is it possible to add an additional amplifier to the stock audio head unit in the outlander. My dinky 140 watt stock head unit doesn't do it for me. I thought that modern amplifiers require RCA inputs. Does the stock head unit on the Outlander have RCA outputs that I can connect to an aftermarket amp? I do realize that I will want to upgrade the speakers because the cheap stock speaker may blow out. However, I do not want to replace the Head Unit if I don't have to.

Last edited by mchang40; 04-19-2010 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 04-19-2010, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by mchang40
Is it possible to add an additional amplifier to the stock audio head unit in the outlander. My dinky 140 watt stock head unit doesn't do it for me. I thought that modern amplifiers require RCA inputs. Does the stock head unit on the Outlander have RCA outputs that I can connect to an aftermarket amp? I do realize that I will want to upgrade the speakers because the cheap stock speaker may blow out. However, I do not want to replace the Head Unit if I don't have to.
i dont post much but audio is my thing....

ive tried it before and itll work...the deal breaker would be how pleased you are with the results (how itll sound)

you have a few options:

1. get a a line output converter (LOC). thiss will connect directly to you speaker wires and provide you rca female plugs at the end. the prices of these are at extreme ends from a few bucks to several hundreds. makers include scosche, peripheral electronics to as high end as jl audio, rf, audison etc

2. OR, there are a few amps, new and old school brands, that will accept high level inputs (speaker wires) directly

here's a good site: http://www.installer.com/ http://www.installer.com/hilo/index.php

hope thgis helps

Last edited by goldenboy; 04-19-2010 at 07:37 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:50 PM
Question RE:

Thanks Goldenboy.

There is a problem though. When I went to the site, I went to the Mitsubishi section, it had some $99 LOC device but, in the description, it said it was for Crysler. Seems complicated.

I think I'll just replace the head unit at Best Buy. I had a bad experience with a Pioneer head unit 2 years ago. The RCA outputs were bad and caused alternator Whine. I had it under warranty and took it back to Circuit City. They didn't even fix it. I fixed it by wrapping a wire around the inputs to ground the connection. But anyway.... I'm thinking either Alpine or Sony. I want something with a touch screen (double DIN) Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Old 04-20-2010, 12:14 AM

i think that's the best way to go instead of using a LOC...cleaner sound, more options, better outcome
i say this coz i used a LOC at first ...I used Audiocontrol EQX paired with 2 Alpine 4ch V12 amps and the sound deteriorated when i started playing at higher volumes and I ended up channging to an AVIC Z2, which I am very happy with

with regards to your choices, if it were I...I'd get an Alpine prob a W200 and the like then pair it a a PDX 5 for a compact install (but thats just me)

btw, when choosing your 2din dash kit...i maintain that scosche came up with the more formidable kit

Old 04-20-2010, 05:27 AM
Default Re:

That sounds good. Unfortunately Best Buy doesn't carry the W200. They will be getting a W900. I think it's very stupid of BB not to mention that the W900 is Bluetooth ready. I found out from other web sites that it is Bluetooth capable with an adapter. Although, for $1K, I think it should have the Bluetooth built in.
Don't you?

I don't think I'm going to wait around for it. Because the Sony unit is only $277 at Amazon.com and it's available right now! I didn't see that it was Bluetooth capable but I don't care that much about Bluetooth. Although I do think it's suspect to go from $500 to $300. Makes me think it's not really that good. How much do you think BB would charge me to install it? Would they charge by the hour? They should give me a discount on the installation if I buy an Amp from them.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:32 AM

Great thread, helped answer some questions I had about adding an Alpine unit to replace the standard stereo on my 2010 outlander. But one problem I seem to be having is trying to find a facia that matches the dash on my outie.

The Metra and Scosche MI3015B ones seem to be plain black while my outlander has a chain mail type effect. Does anyone know where I can get one that matches the dash, preferrably in Eurpoe as I live in Ireland.

Thanks

Peter

Old 04-22-2010, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by PD_BARBS
Great thread, helped answer some questions I had about adding an Alpine unit to replace the standard stereo on my 2010 outlander. But one problem I seem to be having is trying to find a facia that matches the dash on my outie.

The Metra and Scosche MI3015B ones seem to be plain black while my outlander has a chain mail type effect. Does anyone know where I can get one that matches the dash, preferrably in Eurpoe as I live in Ireland.

Thanks

Peter
ive searched to for a dashkit with the same textured finish as the mitsu oem one...unfortunatelyyour only option "is" the oem fascia
in addition, its opening is slightly bigger than most, if not all, aftermarket 2din headunits
scosche and metra fit aftermarket units perfectly but only come in black.
i prefer scosche for its better fit and finish

fyi, there's someone selling a 2din dash kit here not so long ago

Old 04-22-2010, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by mchang40
I think I'll just replace the head unit at Best Buy. I had a bad experience with a Pioneer head unit 2 years ago. The RCA outputs were bad and caused alternator Whine. I had it under warranty and took it back to Circuit City. They didn't even fix it. I fixed it by wrapping a wire around the inputs to ground the connection. But anyway.... I'm thinking either Alpine or Sony. I want something with a touch screen (double DIN) Any suggestions?
Engine whine is caused by either a bad ground or the input signals are picking up the alternator noise from a power line...which is due to your input lines being run too close to power lines and not having sufficient insulation. I had a Clarion unit in my '93 Eclipse with a memphis amp...ran beautiful. I moved it to a '98 Grand Prix and had horrible engine whine. The setup was grounded just like before, but my input lines had to cross a power line at some point and whined. I now have the clarion (minus the amp) in my Ranger using factory harnesses....no whine. I doubt it was the head unit, probably something with the wiring.

I'm not the greatest at wiring up audio. I just had the Memphis unit using rca. However, several friends had amps where you could use the speaker wires as inputs. The do make them. http://www.crutchfield.com/g_347050/...r_Level_Inputs

Old 04-24-2010, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by ccernst
Engine whine is caused by either a bad ground or the input signals are picking up the alternator noise from a power line...
I am new to this forum but have been doing DIY mobile audio installs on my personal vehicles for over 20 years. There is a well known problem with several Pioneer head units over the past 5 years, where an internal fuse blows causing the ground shields of the RCA outputs to lose their ground connection inside the head unit. This is repairable. I don't know why BB did not fix it. The fuse is a surface mount device soldered to the circuit board and not easy to fix at home. The thing that causes it to blow is connecting or disconnecting the RCA outputs while the head unit and rear amplifier are both powered up. I am pretty sure 2010 Pioneer head units have an improved design that does not suffer this problem.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by mda185
I am new to this forum but have been doing DIY mobile audio installs on my personal vehicles for over 20 years. There is a well known problem with several Pioneer head units over the past 5 years, where an internal fuse blows causing the ground shields of the RCA outputs to lose their ground connection inside the head unit. This is repairable. I don't know why BB did not fix it. The fuse is a surface mount device soldered to the circuit board and not easy to fix at home. The thing that causes it to blow is connecting or disconnecting the RCA outputs while the head unit and rear amplifier are both powered up. I am pretty sure 2010 Pioneer head units have an improved design that does not suffer this problem.
just read a few thread posts on it...really interesting problem. I haven't messed with Pioneers yet....just a Dual and a Clarion.

Quick Reply: Add aftermarket amplifier to stock audio head unit?