Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Hello From A Soon To Be New Owner (tomorrow)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 10:31 PM
dgs
Default Hello From A Soon To Be New Owner (tomorrow)

Tomorrow after work I'm going to pick up a 2008 Outlander 4WD XLS with the navigation, sun and sound, and premium packages. I'm also getting some dealer accessories like a luggage tray, body side moldings, rear bumper protector, and scuff plates. I'm getting it in diamond white pearl with the black leather interior, which seemed like a nice combo. I really wanted silver but there are no silver's to be had with those options, so the white was the next best choice for me.

I'm trading in a 2006 Honda Accord EX-L 6-speed coupe. The Honda has been a great car and I've had a lot of fun with it, but I absolutely need more space and some real backseats. Plus I had ACL reconstructive surgery six months ago on my left knee and I was not able to drive my car for a month. It was a major pain getting lifts from friends and family everywhere; especially to work. Never want to go through that again. Additionally none of my friends or family know how to drive a manual transmission so if there is ever an emergency where they would need to drive my car currently I'm screwed. I'm really looking forward to having an automatic, especially with the rush hour traffic I have to deal with every day. Manual transmissions are no fun when you're creeping along at 5 mph. Thankfully I got my 06 at invoice, plus I put down about $3,000 so I have no negative equity. The dealerships is letting the Outlander go for $28,500 which is below the Edmunds invoice by $200. I'm happy with that price.

The Outlander is the only SUV I would consider. I think it's the best looking small SUV by a longshot, and it has the best handling and nicest feature set in the class. It gets decent gas mileage for an SUV, and it's made in Japan so I can count on good reliablity. It's missing a couple of options I would have liked, such as rain sensing wipers, dusk sensing headlights, telescoping steering wheel, and autodim mirror. But, I can certainly live without those options for all that you do get. I'll take some pictures probably this weekend and post them up. Real excited about owning this vehicle!

Old 02-12-2008, 10:35 PM
Banned
Default RE: Hello From A Soon To Be New Owner (tomorrow)

Woooooh Welcome!

Old 02-13-2008, 07:37 AM

Welcome aboard!It's a great CUV that's for sure...and i think you made a wise choice in color .

Your price is right on target for a good 2008 deal.Ipaid $28000 minus $2000 in discounts on the 2007's. Yours sounds pretty close to mine minus the accessories, and i have a beige instead of blackinterior. Almost went with the black leather, but when i saw the beige i was sold. Plus i had a Pathfinder in White Pearl with Black leather a few years ago so felt the need to try something different.

Hope it all works out for you on the deal tonight.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:47 AM

DGS-

We'll be twins!! I have a 2008 Diamond White 4WD XLS - with the three packages. It's a sweet little ride. I added mudflaps (by myself - way easy) and purchased the rear carpeted matt to cover up all the plastic rails - stuff kinda slid all around. Hope you enjoy your car - I LOVE mine....cheers

Old 02-13-2008, 11:12 AM
dgs

Yes, the diamond white is a very sharp color. Should work quite well in the Texas summer to keep the heat down along with tinted windows. It seems everyone is very happy with their Outlander which is a good sign. The only major complaints I've found are the wind noise and location of the seat heaters. My test drive in an 08 XLS fwd model did not seem to exhibit any unordinary wind noise on the freeway. I had the car up to 80 mph so I assume if there was a noise problem I would have heard it. Seemed quiet to me actually, but my 06 Honda is very loud on the freeway so I guess I'm used to it. The seat heaters are in a strange location, but they are not something I'll be using very often in Texas so no biggie.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:09 PM

The wind noise issue was apparently fixed on late model '07 production runs and on so you shouldn't worry about that one.

As for the heat...there's a new thing calledair conditioning (ha-ha) and you have 9 cup holders for cold drinks . (Sorry couldn't resist,i lived in TX before and just leftFL so i remember getting smart @$$ comments like that all the time from people.)

If you have the extra money i'd get the 4WD version. It will help with the bad rains you get down there, plus you cango trekking in the backwoods or hit the dunes. Ask sirnewt...i believe he flew to Kansas to get his 4WD Outtie and said it was worth the trip.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:27 PM
dgs

ORIGINAL: Cuffy

The wind noise issue was apparently fixed on late model '07 production runs and on so you shouldn't worry about that one.

As for the heat...there's a new thing calledair conditioning (ha-ha) and you have 9 cup holders for cold drinks . (Sorry couldn't resist,i lived in TX before and just leftFL so i remember getting smart @$$ comments like that all the time from people.)

If you have the extra money i'd get the 4WD version. It will help with the bad rains you get down there, plus you cango trekking in the backwoods or hit the dunes. Ask sirnewt...i believe he flew to Kansas to get his 4WD Outtie and said it was worth the trip.
Great about the wind noise fix for 07. Like I said it seemed quiet to me.

As stated in my original post I am getting the 4WD version. The difference in gas mileage was not enough to convince me to buy the 2WD version. The added safety and performance of 4WD is very appealing to me.

Getting excited,only 6 more hours until I leave work and head to the Mitsu dealership. The financing has already been arranged and the Outlander is waiting for me all prepped. Just need to go in and sign the paperwork and I'm off! I will also need to say goodbye to my Accord. I will miss that car in many ways, but the Outlander is much better for my current needs.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:01 PM

My bad, i had just read your message about test driving the 2WD and thought that was what you were planning to pick up. Good deal. Not only a minimal mileage difference, but the price wasn't that much more either for a selectable 4WD system.

I think you'll be happy ditching the Accord and sliding into the Outtie. Not quite as quick as the V6 6-speed Honda, but as you said much more useful and just as fun. Plus i'd say the Outtie is much more comfortable. My wife had a Accord EX V6sedan and i hated driving it because the seats were horribly uncomfortable.

Enjoy your new ride. Fill us in tomorrow on your first night's ownership.