Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Help: 2.4 CVT - Engine and CVT Fluid options?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 03:07 AM
Question Help: 2.4 CVT - Engine and CVT Fluid options?

Hello all,

We have just recently purchased out 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 CVT. It's a New Zealand new vehicle and is an ex-lease vehicle. Really enjoying the car!

I've spoken with the main dealer and confirmed that all of it's services have been completed. They have also told me that there have been some ommissions due to the lease company opting out - eg. CVT fluid change, plugs.

They have quoted me (for my 120,000km service) $260 for the oil / filter / brake fluid, and $360 ish for the CVT fluid flush.

I'll do the oil / filter and brake fluid flush myself.

I've done a bit of reading / research and understand the recommended CVT fluid is the Diaqueen CVTF-J1. Which is only available through Mitsubishi.

I've talked to my local mechanic and he has looked into it. He made some contact with his lubricant suppliers and is recommending Fuchs Titan ATF CVT Type NS-2. I've looked at a couple of the oil manufacturers sites and they do have recommendations for the Outlander:

http://www.fuchs.com.au/categories.asp?cID=17&c=264716
http://www.penriteoil.com.au/pis_pdf...JAN%202010.pdf

He has quoted me approx $260 for the CVT flush using the Fuchs fluid.

I'm also a bit confused by which oil I should run. The user manual suggests a whole range depending on 'ambient' temps. I was thinking I would go with a Fully Synthetic 5W or 10W-40, something like:

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/pis_pdf...JAN%202011.pdf

So my questions are:
1. Has anyone use CVT fluids OTHER than the Diaqueen J1? Do you think the Fuchs recommendation will be sucessful?
2. Any concerns with the engine oil above (or something similar)
3. Any trick with bleeding the brakes. I was planning on using a '1 man brake bleeder' (one way valve type) and working on the furthest caliper first.

Thanks in advance - as I say, I've struggled to find very much information on these (especially the CVT one!)

Cheers,
Danny

P.S. Anyone have a service manual for the 2007 2.4 CVT Outlander??

Old 09-26-2011, 10:43 AM

Everything I've read on CVT's both in the Outlander and other manufacturer's vehicles says ONLY use the fluid recommended by the manufacture. CVT's are very different from other automatic transmissions and that's why the requirement is so strict. The CVT in the 2.4L Outlander is made by Jatco. You can get more information on it by going to Jatco's website.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by azjake
Everything I've read on CVT's both in the Outlander and other manufacturer's vehicles says ONLY use the fluid recommended by the manufacture. CVT's are very different from other automatic transmissions and that's why the requirement is so strict. The CVT in the 2.4L Outlander is made by Jatco. You can get more information on it by going to Jatco's website.
AFAIK the same CVT is in Nissan X-Trail.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:12 PM

Yes, Nissan also uses Jatco CVT's. Jatco has various models based on how large an engine it can handle and I believe the one the Outlander uses is JF011E which can handle up to a 2.5L engine.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:37 PM

Stick with the Mitsu trans oil. No sense asking for problems.

On the engine oil side, you should be good to go with any of the recommended oils. FUll synthetic is the way to go.

I started my 2011 2.4 on Mobil 1 at 250 miles. The 2011 is very specific as to what it wants- 0w-20 is the only recommended oil.

At the risk of starting a fued, I use Fram filters, any filter that meets theA manufacturers specs is good to go.

AS for brake bleeding, you are right to start on the farthest from the master and work in. I'm partial to a MightyVac. Just keep the master full.

Last edited by milliesdad; 09-27-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:19 AM

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies.

I've since called my local dealer (the previous dealer I contacted was from another region where the car came from). My local dealer has said they will do the CVT flush for $300 - which is only 10% more than my mechanic using the Fuchs oil. So, that make it an easier decision, I'll go with the Diaqueen CVTF-J1 and the dealer option.

As for the oil, I've bought some 5W-40 and I'll use that: HPR 5 - Penrite Oil
(unless there are any concerns from the forum!!)

Thanks again,
Danny

Old 10-05-2011, 07:05 PM

Dropped it in yesterday for the CVT flush ($300) and a Brake Fluid Flush ($50) - nice surprise is the invoice was only for $299 when I picked it up. I wonder if they stuffed up when they selected their items on the computer for their standard invoicing - the oil was only charged at $135 as opposed to the $250 he told me originally. On the statement it said "Tranmission Service - 4 Cylinder". I guess if it was the wrong stuff, I'd know by now!

Old 06-23-2018, 08:56 AM
Default Cvt flush

I would ask the dealer if the”flush” removes all of the old fluid,and how many quarts of fluid are used in this procedure.
Seems like a pricey service to me.Also there is a filter that no one mentions much located under the battery box.
The way I have done it is to suck the fluid out with a pump and replace all that I remove. I only get 4 quarts but I do it every 30K.Time will tell if this is adequate

Last edited by Hodado; 06-23-2018 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:30 AM

Hello H
i own a 16 Outlander 2.4 cvt. Our has 41000 now. Had cvt replaced at dealer at 38000. Bad bearings, whining bad. No belt stretch or failure. Anyway I’m writing to ask you how many miles do you have now on cvt? And r u doing your own cvt fluid changes every 30k?
im worried about long term reliability of the cvt in Outlander. Love the car but scared of cvt. The nissans report a bunch of Jatco cvt failures..
mitzi still using all cvt’s in their new cars. Thanks Dave from libertylake wa. Should have bought the last shorty base Outlander with 2.0 and 5 speed manual. at my dealer for 15k new but to small I think.

Old 11-07-2019, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Picopower
Hello H
i own a 16 Outlander 2.4 cvt. Our has 41000 now. Had cvt replaced at dealer at 38000. Bad bearings, whining bad. No belt stretch or failure. Anyway I’m writing to ask you how many miles do you have now on cvt? And r u doing your own cvt fluid changes every 30k?
im worried about long term reliability of the cvt in Outlander. Love the car but scared of cvt. The nissans report a bunch of Jatco cvt failures..
mitzi still using all cvt’s in their new cars. Thanks Dave from libertylake wa. Should have bought the last shorty base Outlander with 2.0 and 5 speed manual. at my dealer for 15k new but to small I think.
Your 2016 Outlander has the JATCO CVT8 which has been pretty reliable. I'd recommend fluid changes every 30k with filter changes every 60k. I bought a 2019 5 speed manual Outlander Sport and it is so great to drive. I bought it specifically because 2019 was the last year for the 5 speed manual.

Quick Reply: Help: 2.4 CVT - Engine and CVT Fluid options?