Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Help! Maintenance on 2013 Outlander Sport CVT & AC

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 01:00 AM
Unhappy Help! Maintenance on 2013 Outlander Sport CVT & AC

So I am pulling my hair out. Had many problems come to me at once with this car. It was seriously fine up until I took it to the stealership for a recall fix. I wish I hadn't done that.

A/C:
Blinking A/C light causes - I just ordered a brand new pressure switch. Will install it and refill refrigerant. If that doesn't fix it, then what could it be? A/C compressor cycles as it should. Fans work. Not sure on leaks. But I did not notice anything on the lines.

CVT maintenance:
I have read enough horror stories with this POS transmission. Once it breaks, it's expensive to replace. My transmission has started to whine louder during uphill driving.
How do I flush the CVT fluid correctly? I did my research and read that the line to the cooler is disconnected, motor is turned on. Then the 19mm bolt on the pan comes off, let it drain, then turn the car on to drain every thing. Pretty intense work.
How do I replace the CVT filter?
How many quarts of OEM CVT fluid do I need?

Getting bad MPG/miles per tank. I get about 280-300 per tank. Roughly 17-19 mpg city/hwy mix. Seems a bit low for this kind of vehicle. Regardless, is this within the acceptable range for this car? Could be because my CVT tranny is performing bad too.

Will appreciate some guidance. Thanks!

Old 02-28-2019, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Plex777
So I am pulling my hair out. Had many problems come to me at once with this car. It was seriously fine up until I took it to the stealership for a recall fix. I wish I hadn't done that.

A/C:
Blinking A/C light causes - I just ordered a brand new pressure switch. Will install it and refill refrigerant. If that doesn't fix it, then what could it be? A/C compressor cycles as it should. Fans work. Not sure on leaks. But I did not notice anything on the lines.

CVT maintenance:
I have read enough horror stories with this POS transmission. Once it breaks, it's expensive to replace. My transmission has started to whine louder during uphill driving.
How do I flush the CVT fluid correctly? I did my research and read that the line to the cooler is disconnected, motor is turned on. Then the 19mm bolt on the pan comes off, let it drain, then turn the car on to drain every thing. Pretty intense work.
How do I replace the CVT filter?
How many quarts of OEM CVT fluid do I need?

Getting bad MPG/miles per tank. I get about 280-300 per tank. Roughly 17-19 mpg city/hwy mix. Seems a bit low for this kind of vehicle. Regardless, is this within the acceptable range for this car? Could be because my CVT tranny is performing bad too.

Will appreciate some guidance. Thanks!
You may wish to check out the Mitsubishi Outlander Sport forum, where you can find posts on these items.
Outlander Sport forum
The link to the most comprehensive CVT service can be found below (52 mins video). Yes, it is a fairly complex job but the video itself is very educational. As you will see it drains all the fluid and the filter is replaced + the sump filter is cleaned. Keep in mind that you will need DiaQueen CVT J4 fluid (no substitute is recommended). The service manual (available from this forum in one of the Sticky threads) specifies 5.5 L that can be drained. You may need a slightly more (if you follow the video below) as the Service manual refers to drainable amount. If you do flush method you may need twice this amount.
For mpg and A/C look for threads in the OS forum. Use the advanced search option, look for titles only and select the Outlander Sport forum only to limit the returned search results.
Good luck!