Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Help - need Satellite Tuner and Antennae

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 05:52 AM
Default Help - need Satellite Tuner and Antennae

Okay I have exhausted all my sources for acquiring the Sirius factory tuner and antennae for our 2007 Outies. I am still workingon apossible hack solution but I am now +98% confident I can get our Canadian Outies to have Sirius if I can just secure the OEM hardware. This will also help me develop a proper hack solution for current andfuture Canadian owners.

So, I am in need your help - in other words I am begging. If any of you would be so kind as to check with your local dealers to see if you could order an extra tuner unit and antennae (the Sirius antennae and factory radio antennae are combined into one base unit), I would be much obliged.

Please PM me if you can help me out.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:44 AM
Default RE: Help - need Satellite Tuner and Antennae

IfI a get home in time I will call for you. I got a question for you. Is sirus or XM avaible in canada at all? If its not you might be wasting your time. They might not sell you the subscription. But if they do have it in canada then no problems and its like putting in an after martket kit.

Old 04-06-2007, 01:52 PM

Yeah they are both available here - I actually have both but with US subscriptions as initially they had better programming/more channels. Now they are pretty much the same.

Old 04-06-2007, 03:39 PM
JMC

Have you tried talking to Sirius?

Old 04-06-2007, 05:46 PM

I've talked to Sirius USA and Sirius Canada - they don't actually manufacture the tuners nor do they supply them. Sirius Canada doesn't know anything as they actually don't have an agreement with Mits Canada for 2007. Sirius USA has an agreement with Mits USA but saidI need to go through a US delaer to secure a tuner - hence my need for assistance.

The funny thing was I also talked to Mits Canada whose PR person said she talked to their "tech people" and said it was impossible to get Sirius on the Canadian Outie. I know this is false as the Canadian Outie is "Sirius ready" the same as US - just need the tuner and a Scan Tool to set the CAN to recognize it.

I am going to beat this puppy one way or another and then I'll send a video to Mits Canada to prove them wrong!

Old 04-06-2007, 08:33 PM
JMC

Wow...well good luck with everything, I hope it works out.

Old 04-06-2007, 08:41 PM

I called the dealer near me and he said he would call me back and never did. I will call again monday.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:36 PM

Thanks Ant

Old 04-11-2007, 09:22 PM

Okay, its turned into a good news / bad news story. Mits Canada finally agreed with me that it is technically possible to have Sirius Satellite radio on Canadian Outlanders, but not before disclaiming a bunch of legal crap about modification at my own risk, not warrantable, blah, blah, blah. The long and the short is:

1. Acquire tuner and antennae
2. Connect C-111 to tuner (located behind glove box taped to right side of vehicle)
3. Connect S-video cable to tuner and Nav Unit
4. Activate via Mits Scan tool at dealer.

Here is the bad news - because Mits Canada has no licensing agreement with Sirius Canada, Canadian dealers are prohibited from assisting with the installation, including activation. No big deal right? Just go through a US dealer.

Problemo here too - the addition of a satellite radio to a non-factory installed Outie (US or Canadian) is defined as a "modification" and is prohibited by the US dealer agreeements. So they are also not allowed to activate.

There is a ray of hope though. MMNA is currently working on supplying an after market Sirius install kit so that non-factory installed owners can get Sirius in the future. There are some sort of technical issues with the anntenae that is delaying the launch for now. However MMNA has assigned a part number to the instal kit although it can't be ordered yet. And just to yuk it up some more, the pricing assigned to the kit right now is $1,200 USD!

Anyone want to sell me their tuner????

Old 04-12-2007, 01:54 AM

So it wouldn't matter if you received a US model Sirius tuner? You actually need to program the MMCS unit to have it active or are you actually "activating" the Sirius tuner?

Can you be a little more specific?

Quick Reply: Help - need Satellite Tuner and Antennae