Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

HID -> Halogen

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 05:33 AM
Default HID -> Halogen

Yeah I know it sounds backwards but there is a reason. I live in Japan and plan to import my Outlander to the UK sometime. European regs say that HID equipped cars should have washers and self-levelling. So for the purposes of the import inspection I'm thinking about buying a set of used halogen headlights and downgrading. It looks like both types use the same connectors and the only difference is the HID electronics attached to the underside of the HID version. Can anyone confirm that halogen would be plug and play into a HID car?

Thanks much.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:33 AM

In Mexico, HID headlamp isn't option. I updated from halogen to HID headlamp. 'Mexican' Outlanders has prewired ready (HID headlamp, ECU levelling, levelling sensors), so was plug&play installation. I hope this help you

Last edited by jsrd; 07-11-2010 at 05:46 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by akatsutsumi
Yeah I know it sounds backwards but there is a reason. I live in Japan and plan to import my Outlander to the UK sometime. European regs say that HID equipped cars should have washers and self-levelling. So for the purposes of the import inspection I'm thinking about buying a set of used halogen headlights and downgrading. It looks like both types use the same connectors and the only difference is the HID electronics attached to the underside of the HID version. Can anyone confirm that halogen would be plug and play into a HID car?

Thanks much.
What year outlander do you have?

Old 07-11-2010, 10:38 AM

Yeah now that I think about it they are self-levelling - at least thats what I take the literal translation of 'light axis automatic adjustment' to mean. UK spec cars also seem to be halogen with no HID option presumably because there is no washer system to comply with EU regs.

When you say you upgraded to HID you mean you installed a factory standard HID assembly or a third-party one?

From the wiring book the only difference is HID is on pins 3/9 in the headlamp assembly fed through a 20A fuse and halogen is on pins 2/9 through a 10A fuse. All pins are wired on my car so I'll stick a meter on and check that the halogen pins are getting power.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by FiReBReTHa
What year outlander do you have?
Aug 2006, JDM model.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:10 PM

Is JDM 2006 model first or second generation?

I installed OEM HID system. Look this thread (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/sh...ight=LEVELLING) for more information about this topic

Old 07-12-2010, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by jsrd
Is JDM 2006 model first or second generation?

I installed OEM HID system. Look this thread (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/sh...ight=LEVELLING) for more information about this topic
Its second generation. Was launched in Oct 2005 in Japan I believe.

Thanks for the thread link. Looks like you have to take the front bumper skin off to change over the lights. Is that right? I had to partly take it off recently to fix some damage to the front wing my wife did. Taking the whole thing off looks like a bit of a pig, is there a write-up anywhere?

Old 07-12-2010, 09:24 PM

Yes, it's necessary to remove the front bumper to remove the headlamp units. Isn't labor complex, here in the forum there are details of how to do it, look here https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/sh...t=30557&page=2

Saludos

Last edited by jsrd; 07-12-2010 at 09:57 PM.