Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

High beam on HID not working

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 03:24 PM

I asked an automotive lighting expert. This was his answer:

Multiple different cutoff shapes are allowed in US/Canadian regulations. The straight cutoff can offer longer seeing distance down the left side of the road; the staggered cutoff can offer longer seeing distance down the right side of the road. Note I say "can"; it's possible to make very good and very poor headlamps (and everything in between) with any cutoff shape. The main thing is that the headlamps must be aimed correctly. There's only one correct aim setting for any particular headlamp at any particular mounting height, and it really must be checked by the correct use of an optical aim machine. This is difficult in North America; many shops don't have the machine and many of those who do, don't use them correctly.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:59 PM

even with the cut off shape I think my outlander has very very good HID lighting, it is much better than my Lexus but it maybe because the outlander sits higher, but it really light up far and the street signs show very well.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by OutlanderGT
even with the cut off shape I think my outlander has very very good HID lighting, it is much better than my Lexus but it maybe because the outlander sits higher, but it really light up far and the street signs show very well.
That's because your Lexus has headlight auto leveling system while Mitsu yet another time plays cheapo leaving us North American customers with stripped down versions.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:24 PM

we are grateful HID was even an option, it is not on alot of non luxary brands and even the Acura RDX does not get HID on their lower trim.
On my previous lexus the light can move left to right via a sensor on the sway bar, but it was not really that helpful.

I am very happy with the vision at night on my outlander which is all I can say.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Vadimus
That's because your Lexus has headlight auto leveling system while Mitsu yet another time plays cheapo leaving us North American customers with stripped down versions.
I didn't realise that. Here in Australia it is mandatory to have auto levelling with low beam HID lights and you also get high pressure headlight washers.