Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Hissing Sound from Engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 03:15 AM

ah ok thats where it differs to mine as mine is at any speed! even stationary

Old 07-18-2011, 02:57 PM
Default Hissing Sound

Originally Posted by tcp
Just a thought

The EGR system on most vehicles only starts working at operating temperatures and with the engine running at a reasonable speed (highway, etc) so as not to effect drivability. IF you've got a leak in the recircualtion pipe it'll only show up when the EGR solenoid opens which would "cycle" somewhat.
So I once again went to Mitsubishi Dixie and showed them your note and they changed the "Emission Vent Valve" but still the sound is there. So since last 2 years this is going on and again today I took my car for test drive and the mechanic said that yes there is a sound and we will look into it. The service dept. just called and said we have checked and this is a normal sound in 2008 Outlander. Questioned them that why have you been running me around since last 2 years if this was the case.
Told them to give me a test drive on another outlander with the same sound.
They know that I am close to the expiry of my warranty currently at 88K so they want to close this case by saying normal sound.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:09 PM
tcp
Default one other place

The outlander (and every other modern car) has an evaporative emission system. This is a charcoal cannister that traps fumes from the fuel tank and inserts them into the intake airflow when the vehicle is above a certain speed to keep them from venting into the atmosphere. Could it be a leak in that system that only happens when the purge solenoid is triggered? More info here:

‪Automotive Evaporative Emissions - Part One‬‏ - YouTube

Automotive Evaporative Emissions Systems

Originally Posted by Aamir
So I once again went to Mitsubishi Dixie and showed them your note and they changed the "Emission Vent Valve" but still the sound is there. So since last 2 years this is going on and again today I took my car for test drive and the mechanic said that yes there is a sound and we will look into it. The service dept. just called and said we have checked and this is a normal sound in 2008 Outlander. Questioned them that why have you been running me around since last 2 years if this was the case.
Told them to give me a test drive on another outlander with the same sound.
They know that I am close to the expiry of my warranty currently at 88K so they want to close this case by saying normal sound.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:42 PM

I believe the transmission is located on the driver side (right hand drive), so that might be something to look into as well. 60 sounds like the lower limit of 6th gear...
The only thing actually engine related that I could see happening is the noise occuring only when engine braking...so whenever there is a negative vacuum in the engine something could be playing up.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:20 AM

Thank you both for your advice surely will discuss this with the dealer

Old 02-10-2015, 08:53 AM

Hi All

has this issue ever been resolved? I am experiencing the exact same symptoms on my Mitsubishi Outlander 2007 2.4 Mivec.

Please assist, would be much appreciated.

Old 02-10-2015, 12:43 PM

where are you located? the north american outlander didn't come with a 2.4 in '07.

Old 02-11-2015, 02:49 AM

Hi, I am located in South Africa.

I im busy pulling all the service records from the local Mitsu Dealer to check if such a problem was previously reported.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:04 AM

ah gotcha. I have the north american '07 manual. I know there is a later year service manual floating around that would include the 2.4L engine. In North America, the 2.4L appeared in '08...so you can find that year and above service manual.

to check vacuum hoses, spray starting fluid on the hose and listen to see if the engine rpm increases. to check a pressurized line, spray a soapy water on it and watch for bubbles.

Old 02-12-2015, 03:40 AM

I will try that when I get home thanks for the tip. I can confirm that the noise is based on temperature because it only happens about after 15mins of driving and its based on spd because under 40km it dissapears. Also I noticed that its not only a hissing sound it has some squeaking in the sound as well. The sound definately comes from the front of the car but can't tell if its from the engine or not.