Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Hood Gas Lift Mod under $25 - 15 mins of work!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 04:35 PM
Default Hood Gas Lift Mod under $25 - 15 mins of work!

I saw something about this somewhere else, with parts that you had to order from Russia or some nonsense like that.
This cost me less than $25 Canadian.

This mod is for my 2011 Outlander AWD, or rather my wife's, but I use it more these days.

Get these:
Amazon Amazon

>Qty(2) BOXI Hatchback Lift Supports Struts Shocks Dampers For Honda Civic 1988-1991, Nissan Sentra 1982-1985 Hatchback Manufactured from 02/1982 To 12/1985, 4812
>it's a 2 pack and they also come with the ball studs and some washers (that I tossed).
>$20
>these take Metric 12mm

Went to Reno Depot, got 8 washers, and 4 Nyloc nuts (I believe they are called); so that they don't come loose from vibrations.
4 x $0.78 (these are M8 nuts, need Metric 13mm or 1/2" Imperial
8 x $0.10
total $3.92 + tax

Took a total of 15mins to install (I installed them in the way you see to make sure there is clearance)
Zip tie for the windshield washer fluid.

Other notes: these extend to around 24" (didn't measure), the hood can certainly go that high, and it's higher than the actual manual lift sets it. To me, it's better, I find that the manual arm doesn't lift the hood high enough to really do anything under the hood.

Cheers yalls!

Old 05-19-2019, 08:45 PM

Nice job. Interestingly,, for about the same price I have also constructed one for the Outlander Sport/RVR by pulling two tailgate struts from a first gen Outlander wreck. My solution did not require drilling either and the adaptation/installation took about half an hour. Check out post #26 here for pictures and details.

Old 05-19-2019, 10:57 PM

Love the home brew FAB work.
Good write up and pics too. Thanks for posting this. I'm liking that my new Sonata has the hood struts, but the wifes 14 Outlander and the girls 17 OS, still could use this mod VS the hood prop. I HATE the hood prop.

Old 05-23-2019, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by AWCAWD
Nice job. Interestingly,, for about the same price I have also constructed one for the Outlander Sport/RVR by pulling two tailgate struts from a first gen Outlander wreck. My solution did not require drilling either and the adaptation/installation took about half an hour. Check out post #26 here for pictures and details.
Nice job!

Side question > Does that forum have more action? I am on this one and another, and there is very limited input from users; I suppose not a lot of people work on their Outlanders as opposed to Jeeps let's say.
I have some exhaust questions...

Old 05-23-2019, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Krakker
Love the home brew FAB work.
Good write up and pics too. Thanks for posting this. I'm liking that my new Sonata has the hood struts, but the wifes 14 Outlander and the girls 17 OS, still could use this mod VS the hood prop. I HATE the hood prop.
Thanks - yes, I hate the hood prop too, I think anyone that does their own maintenance hates those manual things.
>Not to mention that the little clip to hold it in place busted and I couldn't find a replacement, so I cut a piece of wire hanger, twisted it around the clip mount hole, and then bent it; had been using that for 2 years (like the twist ties)

Some additional notes
>I pinched the wwasher fluid hose too much; will need to find a better way to have that mounted, getting a drizzle on the windshield as is...
>I tried using just the 1 gas lift but was not strong enough to hold the hood up

Old 05-28-2019, 04:01 PM

Nice! The manual bar always bothers me. It's 2019!

Old 05-28-2019, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by teredactle
Side question > Does that forum have more action? I am on this one and another, and there is very limited input from users; I suppose not a lot of people work on their Outlanders as opposed to Jeeps let's say.
I assume you're in Canada with your Amazon link. But there are simply not nearly as many Mitsubishis in this world compared to Jeeps and many other brands, especially in North America. That is kind of cool in some respects and kind of inconvenient in ways such as forum activity. People do work on these, but the vast majority of people don't document their work on forums unfortunately. I'm not modding too much, but I have received help here and there from this forum or youtube. Maybe non-English forums get more action since these are much more popular in the rest of the world than in North America.

Old 06-06-2019, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by teredactle
Nice job!

I haven't found any really active forums for the Outlander. It's a bit frustrating.

Old 06-17-2019, 06:04 PM

Thanks OP I also followed your parts list. Great work, just some minor observations below:

The hood goes nice and high now for ground work but I would prefer it to be a little less high because it can hit my ceiling when I have the vehicle on a lift.

I can use a bungee to force the travelling of the hood a bit lower, but too low and the strut start compressing and want to fall back down at a low range.

If the strut is a little shorter too like (22-23") comparing to 25" like this one, I think you would also get a better lift action sooner as you open the hood, as of now I have to go up medium height before the lift action starts.

I did see shorter struts available for a CRV or something, but they didn't come with the ball nuts, so it is possible I have to buy that set to get the lower height.

Old 06-19-2019, 11:13 PM

Well I ordered the kit from the US. Arrived, fitted and it will NOT support the bonnet at all!

Surely the UK bonnet isn't heavier? Also at full extension the bonnet is slightly lower than where the bonnet stay holds it.

All very strange!!

Quick Reply: Hood Gas Lift Mod under $25 - 15 mins of work!