Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

How to have the fog lights always working???

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 10:17 AM
Default How to have the fog lights always working???

Is there any way to have the fog lights always working? the fog light switch is not a maintained position switch, you have to turn it everytime to make the fog works. I don't want to mess with the wiring, i don't know if there is a way to program the switch or the car computer. I'd like the fog to work all the time even with the ligts off but if they can work at least automaticly with the lights on, i'dd be happy.

My car is a 08 XLS outlander w/navigation

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:53 AM

Guessing you DONT have HID's then. So the only way to have your fog lights on when your head lights are not are to probably install the Day-Time Running Lights (DRL) relay. Its funny, because us XLS w/ HID have our fogs as DRL only, and they cannot be turned on at all with the head lights on. So we have to install the fog relay to have them work all the time.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:05 AM

Hum... at the price i pay, i don't know why canadian models don't have HID... Anyway, i have DLR and to makethe fog lights work, i have to turn on the light and then activate the fog light switch, What i would like to do is have the fog lights always on and use them as DLR but i want them to stay on if i turn on the lights.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:55 PM

I have the opposite problem i have an '08 XLS w/ HID and my fogs are DRL only. is there anyway to make them stay on at all times??

Old 05-09-2009, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by baboon612
I have the opposite problem i have an '08 XLS w/ HID and my fogs are DRL only. is there anyway to make them stay on at all times??
I think tdford already answered your question..

Its funny, because us XLS w/ HID have our fogs as DRL only, and they cannot be turned on at all with the head lights on. So we have to install the fog relay to have them work all the time.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by steph1693
Hum... at the price i pay, i don't know why canadian models don't have HID... Anyway, i have DLR and to makethe fog lights work, i have to turn on the light and then activate the fog light switch, What i would like to do is have the fog lights always on and use them as DLR but i want them to stay on if i turn on the lights.
Ok so your DRL's are in your low beams then? We have not had anyone on here figure out how to transfer the DRL function from low beams to fogs. I dont know if there is a way, except to get the ETACS programed to act like you have HID. This might program it to have the DRL in the fog instead of low beam.

We had mitsupartsman figure our issue out, he had access to parts and multiple outies. He might be able to help.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:28 AM

In the UK (as in some other countries) it is illegal to have the fog lights on except for in conditions of poor visibilty. Hence they automatically switch off when the main lights are turned off.

It is an extremely dangerous and annoying habit of some drivers to drive with just their fog lights on at night time.

OK rant over

Last edited by Falco; 05-13-2009 at 03:47 AM.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:25 PM

It is illegal to have fog light on during non-severe weather conditions (in the US as well and I wouldn't be surprised if it was illegal in Canada as well).

As Falco Mentioned, its really annoying... don't do it.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:12 PM

Well its NOT illegal to drive with fog lights on during any time of day or weather conditions in Colorado at least. Never heard of any where else in the states that it would be........

Old 05-13-2009, 06:27 PM

Its illegal here for sure... and I think it is across the country.

It is one of those laws that is there on paper but is never enforced. Really you don't have to worry about it.. but if you had them on and got pulled over or a cop was bored they could legally write you up for it.. But I've got tinted tail lights... and tinted headlights so that is the least of my problems.

Quick Reply: How to have the fog lights always working???