Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

How much in the tank after the gas light comes on?

Old 06-23-2007, 07:55 PM
Default RE: How much in the tank after the gas light comes on?

The tank capacity is 60 Liters

Old 09-05-2007, 05:11 PM

As I travel long distance all the time, I have found out exactly how far I can push the Fuel Light limit!

I get around 600Km to a tank (60L) yet one day in particular I had the light come on after 500Kms, then had to drive 120Km to the next petrol stop. (we have some long lonely roads in Oz)

When I eventually filled up, my 60L tank took 62.34L! Not sure where the extra petrol went, but at least I know now that after the light comes on for the first time, I have about 100Km left, or what I would suppose is 10L.

I run mine to the point where the fuel guage needle looks like it's about to bend all the time, and have never had any issues with the fuel pump getting hot or clogged with debris. How do you get crap into your tank anyway? If the tank was metal, possibly some rust flakes, but that's NOT going to happen with a plastic tank is it?

Sounds a lot like "old wives tales" to me.

[IMG]local://upfiles/14107/567EC66B6EE041A4A88DAA2109713EBD.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-05-2007, 09:49 PM

It was my experience with cars and motorcycles that if you regularly run all the way down you dont get the build up of crud and yes there is crud and water, mostly water.

How do I know this 140k and 98K cars with same fuel pump regularly running it until the light comes on and even running out once or twice.

How else do I know this... I bought a car from hubbys parents who werefrom the school of always refill at 1/4 tank. Ran the tank down close to E sucked all the crap into the fuel filter and the car wouldnt idle at all. Had to pull the fuel filter and add water remover to the gas and drained the tank into hubbys eyes [:@]It ran fine after that.

On motorcycles you should regularly run into reserve to keep the water and crap to a minimum in case you ever have to use reserve you can without having to clean the carbs afterwords you get stranded because it wont run.

Old 09-06-2007, 04:02 AM

But our Outties don't have carbies, injectors require de-gumming reasonably regularly anyway, so a decent injector cleaning additive to the petrol every 20 or so fills is good.

By the way, has anyone heard the rumor about if you run you unleaded vehicle dry, so it draws air only as it runs out of petrol - that this air only can destroy the cat converter?

Just curious...

[IMG]local://upfiles/14107/44F233AED1EC44B1B0243483FFED2889.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-06-2007, 08:48 AM

Unless your running old crap gas all the time you dont need to clean the injectors. The fuels come with injector cleaners in them.

The previous 3 vehicles I mentioned earlier all have injectors.
I also have a car thats been sitting in my driveway for 2 years without being run except once a year. No stabil or any additives, jumped the battery Sat and it started right up and runs, 135K fuel injected.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 09-06-2007, 11:14 AM

This morning I hit the first warning with about 304 miles on the tank. I then drove 8 miles to a gas station and the odometer then stated 312 miles. Looking at the receipt, I put 14.6 gallons into the tank. Simple math states that I was getting 21.4mpg average. I drive a FWD XLS, so the tank capicity is rated at 16.6 gallons. Using this capacity, it would mean that with 2.0 gallons left in the tank that I would get 42.8 additional miles PLUS the 8 miles that I drove since the first warning. Adding the 42.8 miles with the 8 additional miles would yield about 50 miles of driving range at 21.4mpg once the first warning comes on. Since the gas tank is slightly smaller in the 4wd models (15.8gallons) these numbers will be different for those models.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:16 AM

I can officially answer this question with actual facts.
As I was pulling into the gas station the low fuel light came on.
I have a 4WD 15.8 gal and put in exactly 13.693 gallons filling until the auto shut off.
That calculated out to 2.11 gallons. So given variances in pump shut offs its probably 2 gals left.

This is the first time Ive been able to answer this question without actually running out of gas first [:'(]
[align=left] [/align]

Old 09-07-2007, 12:25 PM
ESM
Default ~2gal on my 07 4wd xls

I'm getting the same numbers as BoldyGoingNowhere. I've had the light come on about six times now. Always more that 2 gals left when I fill it up.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:45 PM
Default RE: ~2gal on my 07 4wd xls

Where is the low fuel light anyways, does it come on where it says possible icey roads, low tire pressure etc.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:40 PM

What I know as facts:

Gas pump = bottom of tank. If there is debris, it's going in regardless

Cool gasoline keeps the pump cool and adds to its longevity

Empty space in tank in cold weather allows water to condense on inner walls of tank. This is not a problem for fuel delivery. It causes corosion in the tank which will reduce longevity of the tank as well as cause oxidized steel particles to fall into the tank and clog the pump.

Bottom line. You're using the fuel sooner or later anyway. Keep your tank topped off when you can. If you're travelling, anticipate stopping for fuel. Why push it ? It's simply illogical.

Range at first warning? In Canada it's a Transport Canada requirementthat there should on average be 50km range. That's a good indicator.

My 2 cents.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How much in the tank after the gas light comes on?