Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

How to Replace D2R HID Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 10:22 PM
Default How to Replace D2R HID Bulbs

This mod actually is very easy. Its about as easy as switching out a standard halogen bulb. I ended up not unhooking the battery, intead I just unpluged the main wiring harness that connects each headlamp. NOTE: Attempt at your own risk, I am not responsible for misshaps or accidents. Also, have vehicle in the off key position...

1) Behind the drivers side headlamp is a bracket that holds a fuse box. This is in the way. There is one bolt that needs to be removed, as pictured, so that you can adjust the fuse box to allow your hands to get in there. You can lean the box over, for it is still attached by wiring coming out of it.

2) As you can see with this bracket out of the way we now have access to the rear of the drivers side headlamp. The harness pictured is the main power source to the headlamp. There is a clip under it that allows you to remove it. Unplug the harness.

3) Here is the pic of the passenger side headlamp. There is more room over here. Again here is the main harness that needs to be unpluged.

4) Notice that when unpluged you can see where the clip that locks the harness in. Also, the "cap" is what keeps outside dust and water from entering the main headlight bulb, which we are going to replace. There is a diagram on the cap, clockwise is to lock it, and counte clockwise unlocks it. Remove both caps from both headlamps.

5) This is what hides behind the cap. The large odd shaped silver piece is I believe the ballast (not sure). This needs to be rotated counter clockwise to be unhooked from the bulb. Its less than a quarter turn. Keep note of what position this piece comes off, for when putting back on you have to start at that position and turn clockwise.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:36 PM
Default RE: How to Replace D2R HID Bulbs

6) Now you can see the back of the bulb. It is held in place with a clip system shown in the picture. Its hard to describe, but you need to adjust the clips so that the bulb can be taken out. When the bulb is out, make sure not to touch it with you fingers! Notice the info circled - D2R, 12V, 35W.

7) Now that I have the bulbs out, here is a comparison on the stock and aftermarket bulbs. Both are D2R, the stocksays Phillips -Germany on it, and the aftermarket 6000k bulb I went with was a cheap Japanese bulb. Can deff tell the quality differences.

8) Now just do reverse order and put back together. Insert the new bulb in and use the clips to hold it in place. Next reattach the silver ballast, remembering what position it came out. You will be able to feel it slide into the bulb, then turn clockwise to original position. Put outter dust cap back on, plug in the main harness that plugs into the back of the headlamp. And put the fuse box back in place that we moved in step 1. Thats IT!!!!! Start the car, and see them shine!

Here is the stock 4300kbulb

Here is the 6000k bulb

Old 03-12-2008, 10:49 PM

Here is the stock beam

Here is the 6000k beam. NOTE: The pic does not justify the bulb. It is deff "bluer" than stock, but not much. It also deff does not put out as much light. BUT, it is still HID and is still pretty bright.

Stock 4300k

And one last one

Old 03-12-2008, 11:27 PM

Im happy with the bulbs for now. They were like $40 cheap japanese ones. When I have some extra cash I'll go ahead and get some quality 6000k bulbs that run around $200 or so. If anyone has a site that has some nice quality bulbs at a decent price let us know.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:23 AM

Looks pretty good. Did you just want to do it for aesthetic purposes because you like the bluer tint to the lighting?

Old 03-15-2008, 11:34 AM

ORIGINAL: abrcrombe

Looks pretty good. Did you just want to do it for aesthetic purposes because you like the bluer tint to the lighting?
Ummm, yes. That is the main reason anyone would change bulbs... for HID. For halogen bulbs you can defenitely get better performance over stock bulbs with aftermarket. HID's are so much better, having a slightly dimmer bulb for the exchange of a whiter/bluer output is worth it. A higher quality bulb will get you the color ouput you want with less of a sacrifice of output.

Old 03-15-2008, 02:32 PM

ORIGINAL: tdford

6) Now you can see the back of the bulb. It is held in place with a clip system shown in the picture. Its hard to describe, but you need to adjust the clips so that the bulb can be taken out. When the bulb is out, make sure not to touch it with you fingers! Notice the info circled - D2R, 12V, 35W.

7) Now that I have the bulbs out, here is a comparison on the stock and aftermarket bulbs. Both are D2R, the stocksays Phillips -Germany on it, and the aftermarket 6000k bulb I went with was a cheap Japanese bulb. Can deff tell the quality differences.

8) Now just do reverse order and put back together. Insert the new bulb in and use the clips to hold it in place. Next reattach the silver ballast, remembering what position it came out. You will be able to feel it slide into the bulb, then turn clockwise to original position. Put outter dust cap back on, plug in the main harness that plugs into the back of the headlamp. And put the fuse box back in place that we moved in step 1. Thats IT!!!!! Start the car, and see them shine!

Here is the stock 4300kbulb

Here is the 6000k bulb

Sweet, looks simple enough. When you put the new hid bulbs in, do they go the same direction as the stock ones

Old 03-15-2008, 05:19 PM

Yes everthing goes in the same way you took it out. There are groves (slots) on the base of the bulb and ballast. So you can "feel" things go into place.

Old 06-07-2008, 02:18 AM

tdford, can you to say me that number part has the low headligt relay?

Old 06-08-2008, 11:01 AM

ORIGINAL: jsrd

tdford, can you to say me that number part has the low headligt relay?

???

Quick Reply: How to Replace D2R HID Bulbs